14 - Javier Mascherano

JamDav1982

Pique seems to better at that one cross field ball to Neymar in terms of general passing though Masch is better. When he gets really into a game even as a CB its like having an extra midfielder similar to the way how Alves plays now.

Masch zings more long balls than any defender can think of.

Up there with Marquez on that front.

Zangash

Banned
No chance are Luiz and Pique better on the ball than Masch in terms of passing.

It wasnt a pointless long ball, the tactics that game were to play the ball early to the forward players.

The tactics were to play the ball early to forward players? That's a strategy for counter attacks, not starting your opening possession when the other team has barely even made it out of their starting positions.

JamDav1982

The tactics were to play the ball early to forward players? That's a strategy for counter attacks, not starting your opening possession when the other team has barely even made it out of their starting positions.

It wasnt a pointless pass. You dont have a clue what you are speaking about.

Not all long passes are counter attacks.

Zangash

Banned
It wasnt a pointless pass. You dont have a clue what you are speaking about.

Not all long passes are counter attacks.

What I have no clue about is what exactly you are trying to say.

If the plan is to get the ball to the forwards early, what is the plan after that? To hope Messi can, by himself, take on multiple defenders, somehow find Suarez, who can somehow score? That's stupid. Or was the plan for Messi to pass the ball back to the back line? Because that is pointless. It's not like Messi was in a wide open position that'd give him time to control the ball, turn, find a man, and dribble.

JamDav1982

It was early in the game and clearly they were not wanting to take any risks on a crap pitch.

He was getting closed down and played a long pass to Messi. Not the greatest pass in world but defender was hungrier for it and won it.

Very rarely will a long pass to a winger come back and result in a goal like that.

yahudi

Not necessarily. Throughout the entire first half the team tried tomove the ball quickly to the wings and then work their way inside. Something similar was done in the Liga game, albeit at a slower tempo and with more control.

The pass Masch tried was actually far from pointless. If we really need someone to shift the blame on, Messi could've come closer to receive the ball. But honestly, this was a great interception and an even better counterattack by Atletico.

I just mentioned that one ball cause Pique and Bartra basically never fail at it.

I've seen Bartra misplace quite a few long passes, same with Pique. In terms of distribution, there are really few defenders that can put it up with Masch

Zangash

Banned
It was early in the game and clearly they were not wanting to take any risks on a crap pitch.

He was getting closed down and played a long pass to Messi. Not the greatest pass in world but defender was hungrier for it and won it.

Very rarely will a long pass to a winger come back and result in a goal like that.

From "That was a not a poor pass" to "Those were the tactics" to "Not the greatest pass".

Seems like we're getting somewhere.

Zangash

Banned
Those were the tactics and it was not the greatest pass..... they are not contradictory im afraid.

Didn't say they were.

But the way I started off this little discussion (Not with you, I'm aware) saw everyone hopping all over me for daring even suggest Mascherano played a poor pass.

JamDav1982

Didn't say they were.

But the way I started off this little discussion (Not with you, I'm aware) saw everyone hopping all over me for daring even suggest Mascherano played a poor pass.

Your main point seemed to be it was a 'pointless' pass. The idea of it as much as the execution.

vinni

I want to see a goal from Mache soon ! :mascherano:

Did he score for barcelona? i just checked wiki and it says one goal. It dont say when it was though..

serghei

The last goal I remember him scoring was 5 years ago, in february 2010, :lol: against Unirea Urziceni, a team from Romania that no longer exists.

Last edited:

dakt

I don't see any reason to not to let him play ever again. I feel so much safer when he's on the pitch. Damn good and reliable player.

Home of Barca Fans