14 - Javier Mascherano

Zangash

Banned
There was nothing "stupid or pointless" about that ball. In case you did not realize the tactics during the whole match was to put ball immediately to our forwards. Also long ball is always the safe option and the pass was actually accurate - Messi just did not bother to run back and go after that ball, he was outrun by Atletico player who passed the ball immediately to Torres. Mascherano might have beeen able to stop Torres better, but Torres did it very well an it all happened too quickly.

Yes, blame Messi for it. I suppose you'll blame Fabregas and Iniesta for this, too, then?

He has an enormous tendency to waste our possession in this manner and it's not just because Lucho's tactics tell him to. He does it all the time and I wish he would stop. If these were truly our tactics you'd see Pique doing this as well, but for some reason he seems to prefer maintaining possession, and doesn't play long balls to his man when they're triple marked.

Even today, he had a horrible game. Can't clear a ball to save his life and had rings run around him in defense. Only starting playing well when he got moved to DM, but unfortunately for him, he's nowhere near Busi's level as a DM.

JamDav1982

Yes, blame Messi for it. I suppose you'll blame Fabregas and Iniesta for this, too, then?

He has an enormous tendency to waste our possession in this manner and it's not just because Lucho's tactics tell him to. He does it all the time and I wish he would stop. If these were truly our tactics you'd see Pique doing this as well, but for some reason he seems to prefer maintaining possession, and doesn't play long balls to his man when they're triple marked.

Even today, he had a horrible game. Can't clear a ball to save his life and had rings run around him in defense. Only starting playing well when he got moved to DM, but unfortunately for him, he's nowhere near Busi's level as a DM.

You going back over a year to find mistakes by Masch??

He is having a good season as usual. Unrealistic to expect CBs not to make mistakes in the way Barca play.

Zangash

Banned
You going back over a year to find mistakes by Masch??

He is having a good season as usual. Unrealistic to expect CBs not to make mistakes in the way Barca play.

Going back over a year to make it clear that this is not something new or unique to Lucho's system.

His mistake is the exact opposite of how Barca play, actually. That's the problem. We don't play long balls out from the back for no reason. Mascherano is the only one who does this. He plays like he's a CDM even when he's utilized as CB and it hurts the team.

JamDav1982

Going back over a year to make it clear that this is not something new or unique to Lucho's system.

His mistake is the exact opposite of how Barca play, actually. That's the problem. We don't play long balls out from the back for no reason. Mascherano is the only one who does this. He plays like he's a CDM even when he's utilized as CB and it hurts the team.

Barcelona have almost always had defenders that will play long passes - Marquez, De Boer, Pique in the past.

He isnt playing long balls from back for no reason, there is probably not a CB in the world that plays as many accurate cross field balls as Masch does. He has done it under four managers who all would have been happy with it.

If there is one thing Masch cannot be faulted for it is his passing.

Zangash

Banned
Barcelona have almost always had defenders that will play long passes - Marquez, De Boer, Pique in the past.

He isnt playing long balls from back for no reason, there is probably not a CB in the world that plays as many accurate cross field balls as Masch does. He has done it under four managers who all would have been happy with it.

If there is one thing Masch cannot be faulted for it is his passing.

They other CBs you listed play long passes, but they played them smartly. Is there a particular reason why he couldn't pass to the four (Five if you include ter Stegen) options who were all open who could have more effectively moved the ball forward? Why launch a long ball like that when playing against a team with such an incredibly aggressive midfield? Especially passing to Messi, who won't win a ball from the air if put under even the slightest pressure?

If there is one thing he can be faulted for, it's his decision making, both on and off the ball. The way he plays would be fine if he was a DM, but he does in three touches what Busquets does in one, and won't ever displace him there.

Not to mention the horror game he had against Villareal, where he incidentally was dreadful until played at DM.

Icarium

Lifestealer
His clearances and long passes are very bad lately. He was very good at it few matches back. Bench him for 2 matches, probably tiredness and maybe slightly complacent.

anguy

They other CBs you listed play long passes, but they played them smartly. Is there a particular reason why he couldn't pass to the four (Five if you include ter Stegen) options who were all open who could have more effectively moved the ball forward? Why launch a long ball like that when playing against a team with such an incredibly aggressive midfield? Especially passing to Messi, who won't win a ball from the air if put under even the slightest pressure?

Passing to the back four can put far more pressure on your team than long clearance, and if the ball is lost it is near the goal. Sorry but I still fail to see how long accurate clearance to the halffline can be considered some serious mistake by CB. That's way out of danger zone. Atletico simply made most of the opportunity, but it was not a mistake by Masch.

SeloBarca

Made another one of those stupid studs first gliding tackles.
Always like 50/50 that he willl miss the ball and break someones leg.

Zangash

Banned
Passing to the back four can put far more pressure on your team than long clearance, and if the ball is lost it is near the goal. Sorry but I still fail to see how long accurate clearance to the halffline can be considered some serious mistake by CB. That's way out of danger zone. Atletico simply made most of the opportunity, but it was not a mistake by Masch.

Can you tell me, on average, how often our center backs passing to each other causes the team to be put under more pressure, or possibly results in the other team getting a chance on goal, compared to how often it doesn't? Because I can go back and watch that game and count plenty of passes like that where we didn't lose possession or concede a goal because of it. In fact, my memory's eye sees these situations as so rare that it's almost as if I could say what you are saying is complete and utter bullshit.

Long ball to a player who can't win aerial duels (And has shown no history of being able to win them) in a congested midfield against one of our most aggressive minded opponents who had already shown themselves to be terrifying on the counter. You don't see where the mistake is? How was Mascherano getting the ball out of the danger zone when he was completely unmarked and under no pressure at all?

JamDav1982

Can you tell me, on average, how often our center backs passing to each other causes the team to be put under more pressure, or possibly results in the other team getting a chance on goal, compared to how often it doesn't? Because I can go back and watch that game and count plenty of passes like that where we didn't lose possession or concede a goal because of it. In fact, my memory's eye sees these situations as so rare that it's almost as if I could say what you are saying is complete and utter bullshit.

Long ball to a player who can't win aerial duels (And has shown no history of being able to win them) in a congested midfield against one of our most aggressive minded opponents who had already shown themselves to be terrifying on the counter. You don't see where the mistake is? How was Mascherano getting the ball out of the danger zone when he was completely unmarked and under no pressure at all?

A long ball to a forward player is not a risky pass.

There is probably not a better CB in europe on the ball than Masch.

Zangash

Banned
A long ball to a forward player is not a risky pass.

There is probably not a better CB in europe on the ball than Masch.

His usual CB partner is better on the ball. So is David Luiz. That's just off the top of my head.

And it's easy to chop down and ignore the majority of what I've said, but what Masche did wasn't a simple long ball to a forward player. It was a pointless way of conceding possession that led to use conceding a goal.

JamDav1982

His usual CB partner is better on the ball. So is David Luiz. That's just off the top of my head.

And it's easy to chop down and ignore the majority of what I've said, but what Masche did wasn't a simple long ball to a forward player. It was a pointless way of conceding possession that led to use conceding a goal.

No chance are Luiz and Pique better on the ball than Masch in terms of passing.

It wasnt a pointless long ball, the tactics that game were to play the ball early to the forward players.

DinhoR10

Pique seems to better at that one cross field ball to Neymar in terms of general passing though Masch is better. When he gets really into a game even as a CB its like having an extra midfielder similar to the way how Alves plays now.

Home of Barca Fans