14 - Javier Mascherano

Truthist

As soon as we get bombarded with high balls to tall players that's when his major weakness stands out. It is then that we wish we have a big physical defender in his place.

The elite teams tend to expose this glaring weakness.

Jombi

As soon as we get bombarded with high balls to tall players that's when his major weakness stands out. It is then that we wish we have a big physical defender in his place.

Atletico is an elite team. They are tougher to play against than PSG or City. He has been great in both the CL and La Liga.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

He won loads of headers against bigger players tonight and in first leg against Bayern.

You could go and find a physically more commanding CB but they wouldnt give you the reading of game, leadership organisation that Masch does.

I genuinely wouldnt swap him for anyone in the world.

Edit: Ateltico are about the most physical team going and Masch has been phenomenal against them the past few years about Barcs most consistent player against them. He was about only CB I seen that handeled and bullied back Diego Costa last season.

Truthist

Athletico rarely attack in numbers so his lack of height doesn't get exposed.

I like Mascherano but he isn't a CB and there will come a time when it will come to haunt us.

I'm pretty sure Lucho knows this but he doesn't know what to do with him. I'm glad he realised this against Bayern and moved him to midfield later in the game.

Jombi

I like Mascherano but he isn't a CB and there will come a time when it will come to haunt us.

I'm pretty sure Lucho knows this but he doesn't know what to do with him. I'm glad he realised this against Bayern and moved him to midfield later in the game.

Masche played the whole first game against Bayern as CB and did great and played all of the minutes that mattered as CB in the second game. Lucho of course knew that we were through and when 15 minutes remained he decided to give Mathieu some playing time, just as he did yesterday.

Will Masche sometime in the future make a mistake? Sure, but all CBs do. That doesnt mean they "are not CBs".

JamDav1982

Disagree, I think both Luch and Pep see him as a great CB. Who reads the game and passes out from back better than any other CB in the world.

Masch was poor against Bayern in second half as his passing and concentration went like every other player in team.

For all he lacks in air he probably won more headers than anyone in first leg against Bayern.

Home of Barca Fans