14 - Javier Mascherano

Truthist

Masche played the whole first game against Bayern as CB and did great and played all of the minutes that mattered as CB in the second game. Lucho of course knew that we were through and when 15 minutes remained he decided to give Mathieu some playing time, just as he did yesterday.

Will Masche sometime in the future make a mistake? Sure, but all CBs do. That doesnt mean they "are not CBs".

To me it was evident he was moved because he just could not cope with the high balls Bayern were putting in, a strategy they didn't employ in the first leg. As soon as high balls are put in its fairly logical due to his lack of height Mascherano is going to struggle.

The same thing happens when he plays against Benzema and Ronaldo, it's evidently a mismatch. Now people can accept that we get away with it against most teams therefore it doesn't matter but then we could play Rakitic there against most teams and he too will get away with it BUT looking at the bigger picture it worries me to see such a short guy playing CB particularly when it's not even his natural position.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
:lol:

After all these years and everything we've won playing Mascherano as cb and now on a brink od winning a treble there's still someone who come in with this nonsense.
What "bigger picture" is there"?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Because some people expect CB's that are 100%. They also expect midfielders that never miss a pass and forwards that never ever miss even a half chance at scoring. Football is not an exact science, bounces go wrong, balance is slightly of, opposite team just makes a fantastic play etc etc etc - but watching us since Pep took over has spoiled some. Masch fu**s up? Sure! Who doesn't? Some would argue "put Hummels in Masch'es position, he's taler and a 'natural' CB - we would be airtight in defence". BS!

Truthist

Who's talking about fu**ing up? He has a glaring weakness that is obvious to some. He may get away with it 99% off the time but if we are under the cosh or face an aerial bombardment it would expose his lack of height.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, winning CL in 2011 and 3 La Liga's as CB for Barca is ok but we have to look at "bigger picture" :lol:
Oh wait, we're in the 2nd cl final with "not a cb" playing at the back.

Let me guess we should get loluiz, binatia or bumateng.

Kohe321

Here's an interview with Mascherano from Sport where he talks about how Messi has become a complete player, Luchos rotations and how fresh and well the team is feeling as a result, and more. My google translation in Chrome is kind of wonky, but I get the gist of it. Perhaps someone fluent in Spanish like [MENTION=19517]Leo_Messi[/MENTION] could translate it properly?

Mascherano is a pillar of this team, keep beeing a boss! :mascherano:

Last edited:

dakt

To me it was evident he was moved because he just could not cope with the high balls Bayern were putting in, a strategy they didn't employ in the first leg. As soon as high balls are put in its fairly logical due to his lack of height Mascherano is going to struggle.

The same thing happens when he plays against Benzema and Ronaldo, it's evidently a mismatch. Now people can accept that we get away with it against most teams therefore it doesn't matter but then we could play Rakitic there against most teams and he too will get away with it BUT looking at the bigger picture it worries me to see such a short guy playing CB particularly when it's not even his natural position.

Really? Masche? I'm constantly being told by other club supporters how great he is. Some may lack height, but some lack talent. Mascherano is sir general. ;)

dakt

Yeah, winning CL in 2011 and 3 La Liga's as CB for Barca is ok but we have to look at "bigger picture" :lol:

That was rude
_76136075_david_luiz_reuters_624.jpg

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Someone should phone Cannavaro to return his Balon d'Or as you can't be a good defender if you're short.

JamDav1982

Who's talking about fu**ing up? He has a glaring weakness that is obvious to some. He may get away with it 99% off the time but if we are under the cosh or face an aerial bombardment it would expose his lack of height.

You would swap Masch for a taller CB who doesn't read game as well, who doesn't pass the ball as well, doesn't organise as well and doesn't have a will to win up there with the likes of Puyol.

Personally I would never give up all those things for someone who is 'better in air'.

The way Barca play one CB is asked to break from defence and win ball early and also to dictate play from back. Cannot think of a CB in world that would rather have playing that role than Masch.

Watch whenever Barca score Lucho calls over Masch and they have a quick discussion. He is the player Lucho uses to translate his ideas onto the pitch during the game.

Masch is invaluable in so many ways that more than make up for any potential weakness in the air.

mark1nhu

I'm pretty sure Lucho knows this but he doesn't know what to do with him.

Since you know what Lucho thinks, please tell me what is his opinion about my new haircut.

I also want to know what he thinks about Messi tattoos.

Oh, and if he already noticed the beautiful ass from Antonella.

Thanks.

Truthist

Oh yeah I forgot he singlehandedly won all those competitions for us.

Home of Barca Fans