14 - Javier Mascherano

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't need the armband to be a captain or a rolemodel for the other players, which Mascherano is, a leader who don't need a symbol for him to be one. The quiet players aren't necessarily faux captains or not ideal captaincy material either. Iniesta has reportedly a lot of influence in the dressing room.

Being a captain isn't just about shouting at your team mates on the field to get them to focus on their job. A lot of things go on behind the scenes which we don't know much about.

Ensuring there's harmony in the dressing room, harmony between the players and management/hierarchy, setting an example for the younger players, receiving the new players, lead by example etc.

Last edited:

El Flaco

He's a true captain anyway, Iniesta only wears the armband.

I would rather questioning why Messi has the armband at all? He's nowhere to be the same leader type as Mascherano.

Messi wouldn't be one of the four captains if it weren't for his status I think...

F

Flavia

I would rather questioning why Messi has the armband at all? He's nowhere to be the same leader type as Mascherano.

Messi wouldn't be one of the four captains if it weren't for his status I think...

Messi's presence alone has a huge impact on the team. Not all captains are Puyol-like.

Catalan Fan

Some Captains are vocal and forceful in their opinions in the dressing room and on the pitch, others will let their actions do the talking and inspire the rest of the players by what they have do and have done on the pitch.

If I was a member of the team, the mere presence of Iniesta/Messi would inspire me, let alone their respective achievements.

I guess you've never played the game before....

xXKonan

CLhXWEbUcAACnD7.jpg

MD's Front cover with the Juventus interest in Masche.

Icarium

Lifestealer
We will not sell Masch this season, but next season hard to say. We might need to sign some defender next season. Mathieu, Masch and Vermaelen won't cut it. They will get old and decline. Bartra still not impressive especially in physical parts of the game.

KingLeo10

why sell mascherano at all at any point when he is one of the ultimate utility players and the epitome of a footballer in terms of work ethic and team commitment

xXKonan

I haven't heard anything about Masche wanting a move, and I think I read after he signed his extension a year ago that he plans on Finishing his Contract here and going back to River Plate. By then he would be 34-35 Years old.

Last edited:

Egert

Estonian Culé
Deserved it. No chance he would have chosen as our 1st choice because La Masia players are usually always captains these days. Nice to see him wear the armband in the future maybe :)

Icarium

Lifestealer
Really rare to see neither of iniesta, messi and busi starting. We could see lot of messi captaincy though from this season.

El Flaco

[MENTION=20103]Flavia[/MENTION]

You have a fair point about Messi's importance, although it's soley because he's the best player in the world.

[MENTION=13470]Catalan Fan[/MENTION]

Sure, Mascherano's vocal but wouldn't really say he's forceful. The Argentine just have the natrual authority over his teammates, just like from this from WC as an example. And I wouldn't really say that Mascherano's achievement from his carrier isn't bad either if I want to use the same argument as you do...

---

Really great to hear this :)

Now that El Jefecito is one of the four captains, there's no reason to have a further discussion about this anymore (at least for me).

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans