14 - Javier Mascherano

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Let's try a back line of Montoya, Bartra, Mathieu and Alba with Mascherano protecting them. It might not work but I can guarantee we won't taken apart on the counter like we do with our other ridiculous combinations.

Lol. How low we have gone man. That is such an average defence. Sad thing is that's our best combination.

Truthist

I think thats a very solid defense, maybe Montoya is the weak point, but still we haven't seen him play yet.

I don't think Montoya is weak defensively. He's easily better in defense than Alves IMO. I also think the protection Mascherano gives any defense is underrated.

Frodo_FCB

I don't think Montoya is weak defensively. He's easily better in defense than Alves IMO. I also think the protection Mascherano gives any defense is underrated.

Yeah, add to that the offensive abilities of Alves which are close to zero these days...

Icarium

Lifestealer

Yep. Masch improves any defense by playing in midfield. It was clear in world cup too. The problem with Montoya is he does not involve much in the game and always takes an extra touch. If you forget his crosses alves is better player offensively. But to unleash Rakitic offensive talents i would give Montoya a chance.

skn022

Mascherano must be our new DM in important games if we were to achieve anything significant this year. Who needs all the creative midfielders in xavi, iniesta, and busquets when you have a lethal forward 3 that all could create and score on their own?? We need all the help in mid to control and defend. XAVI, INIESTA, and BUSQUETS days are long gone, please wake up and acccept the reality.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
If you forget his crosses alves is better player offensively. But to unleash Rakitic offensive talents i would give Montoya a chance.

Lets do the math shall we:
Attacking Contribution:
Alves = 1 out of 10
Montoya (a/c to the popular opinion of this forum) = 0 out of 10
Defensive Contribution:
Alves = 0.001 out of 10
Montoya = 3 out of 10
Overall:
Alves = (5 * 1)-Raktic having to cover his ass thereby limiting him = -1
Montya = (1 * 3) = 3
So it is mathematically proven Montoya > Alves.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Lets do the math shall we:
Attacking Contribution:
Alves = 1 out of 10
Montoya (a/c to the popular opinion of this forum) = 0 out of 10
Defensive Contribution:
Alves = 0.001 out of 10
Montoya = 3 out of 10
Overall:
Alves = (5 * 1)-Raktic having to cover his ass thereby limiting him = -1
Montya = (1 * 3) = 3
So it is mathematically proven Montoya > Alves.

l28-that-s-not-how-this-works-that-s-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

Alves involves more in the game. He usually among our top 3 or 2 passers. If you forgot about his crosses he does not disrupt the game and makes some good passes. Montoya does not do that. He takes one touch extra too. But still i would give more chances to Montoya because of his defensive work but he need to prove that he can defend well. He has not got chances and i think he should be given those chances. If he proves he can defend well and make good passes then montoya should defo start. He needs to be given more chances after that we can compare.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona

Alves involves more in the game. He usually among our top 3 or 2 passers. If you forgot about his crosses he does not disrupt the game and makes some good passes. Montoya does not do that. He takes one touch extra too. But still i would give more chances to Montoya because of his defensive work but he need to prove that he can defend well. He has not got chances and i think he should be given those chances. If he proves he can defend well and make good passes then montoya should defo start. He needs to be given more chances after that we can compare.

You don't magically develop first touch and seamless passing alongside telepathic positioning with your teammates with only 1 game in 3 months. It should be expected of him to take extra touches and be cautious when he play cause he knows he needs not to make mistakes as he'll be benched for a has been for another 3 months regardless of what he is capable of

Truthist

You don't magically develop first touch and seamless passing alongside telepathic positioning with your teammates with only 1 game in 3 months. It should be expected of him to take extra touches and be cautious when he play cause he knows he needs not to make mistakes as he'll be benched for a has been for another 3 months regardless of what he is capable of

This!

Icarium

Lifestealer

Maybe but i am just stating the facts. He needs to start some matches. I agree with you. I am just saying our passing game is more fluid with Alves. Montoya and Alves should rotate and if montoya improves over time then he will be starter. So far lucho did not give montoya much chances.

Last edited:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Passing means nothing if it doesn't serve a purpose which is the case with Alves... He gets a lot of passes because opposition gives him acres of space, which he wastes by either crossing or passing back to Xavi...

Zangash

Banned

If you forgot about his crosses he does not disrupt the game

And if you forget Pique's lack of focus he's actually a very focused defender.

There are no other words for that, really. Most games all he fucking does is cross.

D

DirtySanchez

Javier Mascherano wins Memorial Aldo Rovira award for 2013/14 FC Barcelona player of the year

B1HWA35IgAAS63i.jpg

Home of Barca Fans