14 - Javier Mascherano

e28makaveli

I honestly think Mascherano is much better than Busquets. He doesn't playact as much as Busi (something that always stings me the wrong place. Busi is good but his playacting drags his other qualities down I feel.), he's aggressive, has good ball-control now and he's shown himself to be an able tackler. On top of that he has huge balls and has shown willingness to take one for the team (stopping Bendtner in our second Arsenal CL leg with an awesome collision).

I think he's proven himself and at the price that we bought him for he should be more than a back-up CB.

+5 on Mascherano who can do much more than Busquests. The latter may be a little better at awareness, positioning and 1 touch, which he does not fully utilize, but that is about it. For DM, I need a real warrioir.

Our team functions better as whole with Busquets at DM, this is clear imo. Even if Mascherano is - indvidiually - a better DM.
because Busquets has been playing longer in the system. Unless Busi grows some serious balls, I would seriously consider Masch taking a leading DM role, if I were coach. There is just too much potential and needed steel there to do otherwise. Take the off season to work on this.

Next season will be different guys, so lets us not be content with the status quo.

La LL

Generally Delightful
Let's also not forget who is the more intimidating of the two. Mascherano. A quality well needed when facing a bold forward.

fcbarcatenerife

^^^^ wait, what? You would bench the captain for Abidal?

Yes. I think at this stage in his career Carles needs to play less games, so Pep should use him intelligently. There's no need for him wear out his knees playing every match against Osasuna, Almería and Málaga. He's also the only player we have who can play all 4 defensive spots, so he'd be a perfect player to plug in with all of the injuries that we deal with. By using him sparingly, he'll be fresh for important matches, like los clásicos, CL ties at the end of the season, Copa del Rey finals, etc. That tendinitis he was fighting for 3 months is a recurring injury that is triggered by overuse, look at Rafa Nadal struggles with tendinitis over the years, and the only cure is rest, lots of rest. It's better to avoid it altogether by playing less matches during the season. Besides, during that stretch where Abidial was playing CB not only was he better than Piqué and Puyol, he was the best player on the team! I don't say that lightly, but for over a month he was easily our most in form player.

gingerless

i agree fcbarca, puyol hasn't been that good for us in CB in the smaller games (hence why switching him and abidal who has been tremendous would be better for regular play) puyol as CB in the bigger games maybe and abidal on the left

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Pep will definitely have a talk with him over that ridic dive and the way he handled Marcelo for that goal. Other than that he was ok.

impeh

Hi, its me..
got a little lucky with the disallowed goal, but other than that was as solid as ever. Some of the times he wins the ball back is amazing.

Home of Barca Fans