19 - Lamine Yamal

ajnotkeith

Plus, I have no issues with people that change their mind in front of new evidence. You absolutely have to do that. DonAK rated Pedri hugely, but is not doing so now in light of his decline. I respect that. This is not a prediction contest.

If I don't see improvements in Gavi also next season, I am going to re-adjust my opinion of him in the context of the team as well. As with Xavi, if the shamboling defending still happens next season.

The evaluation never stops.
Its not about a prediction contest but identifying weaknesses before they become obvious.

It is pretty obvious and simplistic to say, this player is in bad form so I won't rate him anymore.

There is possibility to see those things coming and to identify trends ahead of time by evaluating the players skill yourself instead of short-term results.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Doubt Lamine Yamal will flop unless he gets a serious injury.

He might however have most of his success elsewhere as I'm not sure he in particular will stick around 5+ years if we're clowning around with FFP and struggling to improve the team and lagging behind Real Madrid.

serghei

Its not about a prediction contest but identifying weaknesses before they become obvious.

It is pretty obvious and simplistic to say, this player is in bad form so I won't rate him anymore.

There is possibility to see those things coming and to identify trends ahead of time by evaluating the players skill yourself instead of short-term results.

Bad form happens after you achieve something and reach a certain level.

To consider a player top he has to consistently perform at a top level for a period. Neither of our hyped youngsters did that so far.

Pedri can't have bad form when he didn't do anything notable at Barcelona for the level we are talking about. Or Balde. These are promising players that are yet to prove themselves.

Some played for the first time in CL quarters with Barcelona and showed that the level was too high for them in the PSG return leg. And that's where the top class level barely starts. They have a long way to go and plenty of things to do before poor performances can be viewed as bad form.

serghei

Ah, if Vinicius, or Bellingham, or Foden, or another class player plays like shit next season... then yes, that's bad form. Because Vinicius can obviously play much better. And for another reason than his quality he is not presently producing at the expected level.

But if you never did it... you are not good enough. This is the case for even our best players. The ones that showed they are class are in different stages of age related decline.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Pedri's issues are related to him being physically unable to compete in high intensity games these days. It's impossible to carry a player like that unless that player is like Messi or CR7 and then you need a different setup built around them to support that and Pedri is not that guy.

Unless those issues are somehow solved his ceiling might be Isco at Real Betis. Technically he's still really, really good.

As for Gavi then I have my concerns with him as well, but discussed that a million times.

Porque

Pedri is also, perhaps falsely, rated highly because he burst onto the scene and then had an excellent EuroCopa for Spain that narrowly missed out on the final by penalties.

Spains best player, but then International football is a step slower and less physical, which helped Pedri look great. But much like the Arthur fallacy versus Tottenham, you go back and watch, and it is alot of simple actions, or a ton of time without pressure on the ball which you don't get in the big club fixtures.

ajnotkeith

Bad form happens after you achieve something and reach a certain level.

To consider a player top he has to consistently perform at a top level for a period. Neither of our hyped youngsters did that so far.

Pedri can't have bad form when he didn't do anything notable at Barcelona for the level we are talking about. Or Balde. These are promising players that are yet to prove themselves.

Some played for the first time in CL quarters with Barcelona and showed that the level was too high for them in the PSG return leg. And that's where the top class level barely starts. They have a long way to go and plenty of things to do before poor performances can be viewed as bad form.
You are mixing up ability and achievement. They're not the same thing.

serghei

Pedri is also, perhaps falsely, rated highly because he burst onto the scene and then had an excellent EuroCopa for Spain that narrowly missed out on the final by penalties.

Spains best player, but then International football is a step slower and less physical, which helped Pedri look great. But much like the Arthur fallacy versus Tottenham, you go back and watch, and it is alot of simple actions, or a ton of time without pressure on the ball which you don't get in the big club fixtures.

Good post. Also, that Euro was right at the end of the pandemic, so the intensity was even lower.

Messi983

Has already played 49 games this season. Next Pedri coming...

My commentator also mentioned that he broke Bojan's record (48) for games played for U18 players.

Checking now, Bojan "only" played 2.200 minutes in 2007/08, Yamal is already at 2.800. Can also add 300 minutes for NT to that and possibly another 400-500 or so in Euros. Too much for a 16 yo kid imo.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
He should've been subbed off for Roque with Ferran moving to RW. We have a game in just a couple of days and Lamine is probably starting that one as well.

Home of Barca Fans