19 - Lamine Yamal

serghei

I really like Musiala but ideally we get a player who prefers the ball in space rather than to his feet.

Messi and Neymar completed each other beautifully when Neymar kept making those runs in behind the defence. Later he turned more and more into a Messi copy always wanting to dictate the plays and be more involved centrally which demanded . That's something which could happen with Musiala and Yamal, that we have more creativity than we have output.
We already have this player though. Much bigger priorities are DM, fullback and new no9.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
A lot of time when he runs, you get the sense, he's running within himself, not really going all out in a sprint, which I like.
He’s wise beyond his years as a footballer, clearly has learned how to be deceptive with his dribbling, passing, speed, feints and the pausa. There’s simply no footballer like him I can recall…apart from you know who

Sky is the limit, just have to hope he stays grounded plus dedication & ambition to improve…Build around this guy, which is why I am so convinced about Nico - it is a pairing that we shouldn’t be denied

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Well, his contract expires in 2026 and Bayern sound like they are concearned about the lack of progress in a renewal agreement so far. Yes, he has some blaugrana spirit in him and he is well traveled so the German club does not necessarily hold greater importance to him than another. He’s no Jadon Sancho he is someone who appears to have made good decisions for his career at each step

The only LW player I’d consider instead of Nico. All things being equal, he could come here but I am sure that if Pep remains City will make him a priority signing. Plus, the international kid has spent half of his life in England and at English clubs so there is that aspect as well. Chelsea still hold a 20% sell on fee in a future move. Flick knows the player and vice versa so there is that aspect as well

Do we need him however? Nico I am certain wants to be here whereas Musiala might be a very hard fought transfer even with returning to 1:1. Plus, Nico will likely come from less than half of what Jamal might

With both Wirtz & Musiala likely poised to exit Bundesliga in coming season or two, BM do not want to risk losing the latter and hope foreign suitors will focus on the former

My guess would be Musiala ends up at City or Chelsea
There is no way he'll go to Chelsea - they are a joke and not a club. If he doesn't stay and he actually want to join a club to win some trophies there's City, Barca and maybe Liverpool. But I think he'll stay.

Gazzznigga

There is no way he'll go to Chelsea - they are a joke and not a club. If he doesn't stay and he actually want to join a club to win some trophies there's City, Barca and maybe Liverpool. But I think he'll stay.
Barca is no longer on the list of clubs that guarantee a trophy every season, these days.

Masetro10

People will not like to hear this. Lamine Yamal probably isn't going to become some 30 goal a year guy. He will definitely be a WC winger on the right side supplying tons of assists. I don't think he wins a Balon D'or just because goals are what usually wins it. This year is weird because Vini has like 23 goals and still will win somehow. (Weak era)

Anyways Yamal isn't really that fast which is why wingers like Vini get a bunch of dumb easy goals on counters. Could he get faster? Probably not much more than he is now. Especially if he bulks some.

Can he improve his shooting? Yes, but his long shot isn't really the issue. It's that he isn't inverted very often/inside the box runs are non-existent. So, unless he scores a banger outside the box he probably isn't scoring often.

Yamal loves that cut in cross from his left to the back post. It's his signature weapon even before the shot. His crosses lead to so many goals it probably won't matter he doesn't score a ton.

He reminds me more of Arjen Robben shooting mixed with Neymar dribbling. Which is still a great great player to have for free.

Joan

Yamal is barely 17. He's gonna change so much before he reaches his prime and we can only guess how.

Andresito

Staff member
Most if not all WC wingers have some sort of transition.

Messi, CR, Neymar, Salah, Robben and Bale are examples of players who had obvious transformations. Most commonly the players become more central in different ways. Robben played mostly on the left before exploding as a pure RW.
Now we see Mbappe in that transitional period which for now looks like a mistake, but I'll give him a couple of months to adapt.

I think for most the change comes naturally (as opposed to Mbappe who's seemingly being shoehorned into #9). It's all about where the player is most efficient and for now Yamal is pretty efficient bar the goals. He's involved in chance creation and build up of the attack which I think is what suits him best. I'm not sure if he'd be better off at #10 for example, but it's not impossible he moves there later, otherwise a free role at RW suits him.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yamal is barely 17. He's gonna change so much before he reaches his prime and we can only guess how.

That's absolutely fundamental to appreciate, you can see glimpses of him being a #10 already. When he debuted at 15, I wasn't sure his best position eventhough he mostly has played as an inverted RW

Prodigies like this, just give them the ball and even last season you could appreciate that he was already the principal catalyst in our attacks...even more so now...Where will that take his game? Who knows but it will be stratospheric

MontenegrinCuler

Yeah, one of the reasons prediction of him not scoring so many goals in his career being unreliable is because the systems, roles and positions Lamine is going to play in the future are going to change many times over his career. I can definitely see him moving to the centre at some point. Maybe even under Flick, especially in case of a big injury crisis. The truth is we can't really know how many goals he will have, unless the system stays the same and he keeps his finishing problems in the next 20 years - which I find highly unlikely.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I actually think we haven't geeked out on him enough already, his game is ridiculous at 17 as it was at 16, 15...

What will 18 look like much less later? Impossible to project, it just beggars belief what he is doing already & how ruthlessly efficient he is doing it

I lamented that post-Leo era would take a lot of joy out of the game personally but Lamine, madre mia - a revelation because the guy evokes joy like no one else in football...already

serghei

People will not like to hear this. Lamine Yamal probably isn't going to become some 30 goal a year guy. He will definitely be a WC winger on the right side supplying tons of assists. I don't think he wins a Balon D'or just because goals are what usually wins it. This year is weird because Vini has like 23 goals and still will win somehow. (Weak era)

Anyways Yamal isn't really that fast which is why wingers like Vini get a bunch of dumb easy goals on counters. Could he get faster? Probably not much more than he is now. Especially if he bulks some.

Can he improve his shooting? Yes, but his long shot isn't really the issue. It's that he isn't inverted very often/inside the box runs are non-existent. So, unless he scores a banger outside the box he probably isn't scoring often.

Yamal loves that cut in cross from his left to the back post. It's his signature weapon even before the shot. His crosses lead to so many goals it probably won't matter he doesn't score a ton.

He reminds me more of Arjen Robben shooting mixed with Neymar dribbling. Which is still a great great player to have for free.

30 goals is a lot. I think he is quick enough personally. It is possible that he could transition more into a no10 than a scoring forward. This doesn't mean that he can't be elite. It's even possible he is gonna transition into an attacking midfield player.

Nobody is gonna care if he doesn't score much vs big teams but plays genius passes like Iniesta did that lead to clear chances for his teammates.

Home of Barca Fans