19 - Lamine Yamal

serghei

Yamal not being prime Salah yet doesn’t mean he’s not an elite winger. Absolute class lately match in match out.

Yeah, need to wait and see how he delivers vs Madrid, Bayern, Atletico. Games will be coming soon. Elite players make a difference in those types of games. He's on a very good path, but it still needs to go up to call a 17 year old player elite. It's a rarity. Only Mbappe had that impact at 17, or what age he was when he knocked out Pep's City while playing for Monaco.

MontenegrinCuler

Yeah, need to wait and see how he delivers vs Madrid, Bayern, Atletico. Games will be coming soon. Elite players make a difference in those types of games. He's on a very good path, but it still needs to go up to call a 17 year old player elite. It's a rarity. Only Mbappe had that impact at 17, or what age he was when he knocked out Pep's City while playing for Monaco.
Well tbh he did already impress quite a few times on the big stage, specifically Euros but PSG and Napoli were no joke either

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Prime Salah has been terrific, one of the best Pl players ever and Yamal is not on his level (yet)

but 17 years old Yamal is probably better than the version before he hit his prime level in 2017/2018

dont forget guys, Chelsea sold 24 yeals old Salah, they would never sell this Yamal so we can say 17 years old Yamal > 24 years old Salah which is absolutely insane :oops:

serghei

Yeah, but will Yamal stay fit? So many unknowns. Spain and Barcelona are already overplaying him. You can easily play Raphinha on the right and Torres on the left. You don't have to play Yamal all the time vs lower level teams. Remains to be seen. Is he gonna play 2 games in 4 days when CL matches start? So many variables that can affect his future outside of his great talent.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah, but will Yamal stay fit? So many unknowns. Spain and Barcelona are already overplaying him. You can easily play Raphinha on the right and Torres on the left. You don't have to play Yamal all the time vs lower level teams. Remains to be seen. Is he gonna play 2 games in 4 days when CL matches start? So many variables that can affect his future outside of his great talent.

You must be joking Sergh, Torres is in 8/10 matches crap and Raphi is better on LW

But yeah Yamal needs more rest, against crap teams we should start without him

Andresito

Staff member
Problem is, he might feel perfectly fit and wants to play. Can be hard to understand at 17 that being benched now and then is good.

I would guess he has 0 fatigue in his body at this point. He could play 90 minutes all three games next week without issues. Of course that increases the risk of injury but he himself might feel physically excellent.

MontenegrinCuler

I highly doubt Lamine will stay fit and honestly expect him to pick up some injuries before he turns 20, maybe much earlier. At this level, intensity and consistency it's basically destined to happen.

But his talent won't just disappear along the way. And Barca surely won't give up on his talent so easily.

Messi983

Problem is, he might feel perfectly fit and wants to play. Can be hard to understand at 17 that being benched now and then is good.

I would guess he has 0 fatigue in his body at this point. He could play 90 minutes all three games next week without issues. Of course that increases the risk of injury but he himself might feel physically excellent.

It's not about getting injured now or in two weeks but about acccumulating minutes and potentially get injured in March/April (when we'll need him more if we'll still be in for the trophies) because he's playing too much now.

That's why coaches are there. They have to be smarter than kids, think medium to long term and protect them from their over eagerness.

When Messi made his breakthrough we had Giuly and Rijkaard kept rotating them despite Messi already being a better player at that point. He later admitted he was annoyed with Rijkaard (but accepted his decision as a professional) and only years later he realized Frank was trying to protect him.

Probably too late to give Yamal Messi's early days treatment now but his minutes should still be managed. Clear communication between coaching staff and the players is also important. From what I've seen from the outside Flick has connected well to his team and earn respect of most players so should make those decisions easy for him. If he is affraid to sub off (or start him on the bench in some games) a 17 yo kid (even if he's our best player) then he's not the right man for the job.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
If we could get Musiala woooo, how much would Zie Germanz ask you think? :lol:
If we could get Musiala woooo, how much would Zie Germanz ask you think? :lol:

Well, his contract expires in 2026 and Bayern sound like they are concearned about the lack of progress in a renewal agreement so far. Yes, he has some blaugrana spirit in him and he is well traveled so the German club does not necessarily hold greater importance to him than another. He’s no Jadon Sancho he is someone who appears to have made good decisions for his career at each step

The only LW player I’d consider instead of Nico. All things being equal, he could come here but I am sure that if Pep remains City will make him a priority signing. Plus, the international kid has spent half of his life in England and at English clubs so there is that aspect as well. Chelsea still hold a 20% sell on fee in a future move. Flick knows the player and vice versa so there is that aspect as well

Do we need him however? Nico I am certain wants to be here whereas Musiala might be a very hard fought transfer even with returning to 1:1. Plus, Nico will likely come from less than half of what Jamal might

With both Wirtz & Musiala likely poised to exit Bundesliga in coming season or two, BM do not want to risk losing the latter and hope foreign suitors will focus on the former

My guess would be Musiala ends up at City or Chelsea

serghei

Good post. It's about protecting him while his cartilage and ligaments are fully grown. He is not gonna win multiple CLs at 17-19, but at 21-25 he might if he's properly handled by the club. Not to mention that by then the team is expected to improve a lot.

He might still pick up injuries, but if he's protected, not major injuries bar some bad luck like a nasty tackle he takes full on. Messi had injuries too early on, like that metatarsal problem that sidelined him for quite a few months, plus the usual muscle injuries that are very common.

But having multiple youngsters with complex ACL injury already before they turn 20 is a major hassle and could affect their future badly. And the issue is those injuries that our young players got came from very standard actions. No bad tackle in any of them, just players getting injured badly because of their own body not being strong enough to cope.

Last edited:

serghei

To make matters worse, after the fiasco with Gavi, Spain NT manager obviously doesn't care about it. I don't care what you do, fake some injury if he's played non stop for Spain like Gavi was.

From Flick, I expect him to be smart. Play him intelligently. Are you up 3-0 vs some team and the match is put to bad, I don't care if he's playing well and having fun and whatnot, sub him. You can talk to him, and make him understand it's for his own good.

Andresito

Staff member
I really like Musiala but ideally we get a player who prefers the ball in space rather than to his feet.

Messi and Neymar completed each other beautifully when Neymar kept making those runs in behind the defence. Later he turned more and more into a Messi copy always wanting to dictate the plays and be more involved centrally which demanded . That's something which could happen with Musiala and Yamal, that we have more creativity than we have output.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Imagine having Yamal and Nico in the same team. If we would only have someone to finish off all the chances they'll create. :lewa:

Grimaldo with 15 assists is also insane. I guess Frimpong is not far behind him either. Xabi's system is just made for offensive wingbacks.
Still annoyed we were never linked to Grimaldo this summer - what the hell broke down there between Bartomeu & player that we weren’t in the mix

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Probably too late to give Yamal Messi's early days treatment now but his minutes should still be managed. Clear communication between coaching staff and the players is also important. From what I've seen from the outside Flick has connected well to his team and earn respect of most players so should make those decisions easy for him. If he is affraid to sub off (or start him on the bench in some games) a 17 yo kid (even if he's our best player) then he's not the right man for the job.

I don’t think it is too late to limit his minutes but agree it would be difficult to manage. I think the club has to ensure he isn’t Pedri’d which means he should not average more than 60 min a match this season

But good luck trying to enforce it - he is already our MVP

Home of Barca Fans