19 - Lamine Yamal

JamDav1982

So, let's do it slower.
I was reading this topic and then I have seen this post by Total football:

And then my reply was related to this post that a part of why Lamal is playing at a such a young age is because the level of Barca in general, the level of Barca's forwards and the level of La Liga has dropped a lot since Messi's teen years.

I'll pull some numbers from my ass and say:
Let's say that the required level of skill to play at Barca's team or Barca's attack back then was 90.
And today it is 75.
That means that a player of a level, let's say 80, wouldn't get a chance at all back then in 2005'.
While today, a player with a skill level 80 is good enough even aged 16 or 18.
If anything, in your reply, I am at least glad that you hadn't mention how I was wrong about Coutinho or World Cup 2018' Germany prediction.

About Ansu, we can now go back and forth for 1000 replies, knowing your style. But since I am not interested, let's just agree to disagree and in my eyes, Fati lost his head after 1-2 good seasons, when he got a number 10 and when the hype started in Mundo Deportivo and Sport.
He started to be more cocky, more selfish, different kid in general, with weaker performances.
That was before his injuries.

About Lamal, I am not saying that he is not good, I am saying that we already had young Ansu aged 16 playing for the first team, and in hindsight, his quality is quite questionable.
Also, we have Gavi playing as a starter for 2 years already, while majority of fans can't name 2 skills at which he is good at except at kicking everyone around him.
Young Iniesta wasn't a starter till the age 23-24, yet Gavi is a starter since the age of 17 in the current state of Barca.

So, my point is: back then, La Liga was on top, all teams were good, Barca was the best team in the world, we were competing for a CL every season, we were buying Ronaldinhos, Etoos and Decos. There was no room for experimenting and for questionable kids.
While today, La Liga is on the lowest point since the early 90s, Barca is horrible, Real is meh, we don't compete for a CL, we struggle to get out of CL group stage, we can't attract top players anymore, our signings are mostly Spanish rejects and 30+ year olds who ran out of their contracts.
And then, our only options are players like Oriol or giving chances to the next gem out of La Masia and hope to hit a jack pot, when we have zero other options.

So, I was giving the context why Lamine is getting chances already and why is he more regular than Messi aged 16.
It is not because of his skills alone.

Anyway... still rating Lamine in same way as did before ad saying his game cant translate to first team level?

KingLeo10

R9, Messi, Maradona, Pele are the best 16-19 year olds in the history of football.

Mbappe, Rooney would be the next tier, among many others.

mc_lovin

Yamal looks physically on a good way. Don’t think he will be a freak of nature like fat Ronaldo, Messi or Rooney with 18-19 though.

But damn, I expected him to be a starter in like 2-3 years. He already looks like he will make the position his own in a year at worst.

JohnN

Another difference between current era and 2000s, is that teams nowadays trust players at younger ages more and more.
Yes, we were better overall, the minimum player level required was higher to feature in Barca (at least for attacking players) and we had superstars, so youngsters had it tougher to break through. It goes without saying.
But, young players seem more athletic and mature now and Yamal looks like a genuine top talent. Just turned 16 and was our best player last game, even though we have established top class guys like Lewandowski, FDJ, Gundo. That is impressive on it's own.
Let's hope he doesn't flop, like 90% of La Masia kids.

OVI9323

Guy, Lamine is good but don't get too excited... So much can happen in the next months/years.

I'd say he's really promising but it doesn't make sense to speak about strongest young 16 player, when we didn't even saw him play against elite team.

I'll put him on the same test as Dembele, what's happen in crucial period against elite team? Can he does it regularly? How will his body adapt when he grow up? Will he stay mentally stable if everybody is on his ... Sure, it's undeniable his Iq looks higher, it's undeniable that in this low quality team(only goat we have here, only terror of defender is the SHARK), low quality league, it's a breath of air to have him

He's really promising and contrary to Gavi or Fati, where it is hard to find more than 2 qualities. He seems to have more tools to his game but let's not go to quick, relax and let's watch how it goes at least in the next 2 years

KingLeo10

How many games of 16 year old Pele have you watched to make that claim?
17 year old Pele scored hat trick in France in WC semis and then a double in the final.

He was also scoring like 40-50 goals a season as a teenager in a Brazilian league that was probably one of the best in the world at that time

Back to your dancing with your buddies Tempt the conehead and Fati the Imhotep

BusiTheKing

He actually looks quicker and more agile than I thought he would be. There was a point where looked sort of tall and lanky compared the kids around him and you imagined he would become more of a slow yet technical creator type.

But now he looks poised to go past anyone. Not a sprinter but quick on his feet.

Home of Barca Fans