20 - Dani Olmo

jamrock

I agree, I think with Pedri they would have still gotten to the final, Midfield as per usual is Spains strongest position, because if everyone was fit, gavi and pedri would have started for Ruiz and Olmo, but those two game in and just fitted in perfectly.

His performance is more a indictment of Enrique who, played him as a winger at the WC.

Gnidrologist

I agree, I think with Pedri they would have still gotten to the final
That's a far fetched claim. None of these guys (and i love em') have ever really proved themselves to be any clutch or even influential in regular Barca games, let alone for Spain. Yeh yeah, Pedri was good passer in the previous Euros, but not really clutch. While guys like Ruiz and Olmo actually proved themselves in no nonsense way that they ARE clutch and decisive players, who make and score goals.

This is not to say that our darlings are bad, but that they have still lot to learn and are nowhere near to grownup football. And it's only normal. It actually was always that way, that younger players were inserted into both club and NT teams slowly, while the more experienced players did the hard lifting. I think that's generally a good tradition and should be kept that way. Lamine is an outlier, obviously as he's on verge of being talent of the decade or two, for Spain.

jamrock

That's a far fetched claim. None of these guys (and i love em') have ever really proved themselves to be any clutch or even influential in regular Barca games, let alone for Spain. Yeh yeah, Pedri was good passer in the previous Euros, but not really clutch. While guys like Ruiz and Olmo actually proved themselves in no nonsense way that they ARE clutch and decisive players, who make and score goals.

This is not to say that our darlings are bad, but that they have still lot to learn and are nowhere near to grownup football. And it's only normal. It actually was always that way, that younger players were inserted into both club and NT teams slowly, while the more experienced players did the hard lifting. I think that's generally a good tradition and should be kept that way. Lamine is an outlier, obviously as he's on verge of being talent of the decade or two, for Spain.

With the Pedri vs Olmo, its the classic case of different doesn't mean deficient.

He maybe not have scored that goal, but he would have perhaps played a key pass that led to a goal, and we've seen pedri be clutch for Barcelona in our league title season a year ago, coming up with important goals when needed its not like it's unheard of.

Spain quality didn't jump when Olmo replaced Pedri, it's stayed pretty much the same, because their isn't much between them.

Which is not to take anything away from Olmo and Ruiz who have both been excellent.

vegitot

With the Pedri vs Olmo, its the classic case of different doesn't mean deficient.

He maybe not have scored that goal, but he would have perhaps played a key pass that led to a goal, and we've seen pedri be clutch for Barcelona in our league title season a year ago, coming up with important goals when needed its not like it's unheard of.

Spain quality didn't jump when Olmo replaced Pedri, it's stayed pretty much the same, because their isn't much between them.

Which is not to take anything away from Olmo and Ruiz who have both been excellent.
It clearly that Pedri would not be able to do same things like Olmo vs Germany and France. Scoring important goals and assists. Both Germany and France play it rough and that is not a game for Pedri. He would've been subbed off for Olmo anyway in second half.

Maybe he would turn into prime Zidane or something but that chance is too slim. He hasn't done that in any KO stages of his career yet.

FinBarcelonafan

It clearly that Pedri would not be able to do same things like Olmo vs Germany and France. Scoring important goals and assists. Both Germany and France play it rough and that is not a game for Pedri. He would've been subbed off for Olmo anyway in second half.

Maybe he would turn into prime Zidane or something but that chance is too slim. He hasn't done that in any KO stages of his career yet.
I agree with this. Olmo seems to have more edge, which fits these games.

jamrock

Because olmo had shown he could score import goals In those kinda games before these games?.

You can only take advantage of the situation that's in front of you, there is a reason he's probably the 2nd name on the team sheet when fit, probably 3rd now with yamal.

But okay.

Maradona37

I get the guy's point - Olmo seems to have more end product (and he's a talented footballer too). Pedri is even more gifted but he seems like a typical heart of midfield type of player. Spain in this tournament seem have tried to use him as a player driving into the box. like the main box threat of the three mfs - has he been playing that way for Barcelona?

I liked him most when he first came through and was a pure midfielder contesting the battle for the middle of the pitch.

El Ilusionista

Olmo is the better player as a 10. Pedri is not a number 10, will never be imo. Gundogan or even Gavi would do better as a 10 at Barca. Pedri is better when he plays abit deeper, as a 8 basically. Fabian Ruiz is the 8 for this Spain side though and he is having a great Euros.

The reports of Flick wanting to use Pedri as a 10 is concerning.

jamrock

I get the guy's point - Olmo seems to have more end product (and he's a talented footballer too). Pedri is even more gifted but he seems like a typical heart of midfield type of player. Spain in this tournament seem have tried to use him as a player driving into the box. like the main box threat of the three mfs - has he been playing that way for Barcelona?

I liked him most when he first came through and was a pure midfielder contesting the battle for the middle of the pitch.

Yea that's what I was saying above, they would have done it differently, maybe pedri wouldn't have scored, but he would have provided an assist or key pass, Spain would still have made it to the final.

To answer your question, yea that's how Xavi has been playing him, as more of an AM, in and around the box, scored a few vital goals in our league winning season.

Last season he was pretty much injured the entire season.

Maradona37

Yea that's what I was saying above, they would have done it differently, maybe pedri wouldn't have scored, but he would have provided an assist or key pass, Spain would still have made it to the final.

To answer your question, yea that's how Xavi has been playing him, as more of an AM, in and around the box, scored a few vital goals in our league winning season.

Last season he was pretty much injured the entire season.
I agree with that - I have always said that a player can affect the game a lot by controlling it or doing stuff before the actual goal and assists. I didn't know that Pedri was being played as more of an AM. He can be just as good and effective a player though as a pure CM.

Yeah he was injured a lot last season. How do you prefer to see Pedri being played? Do you prefer him deeper too?

jamrock

I agree with that - I have always said that a player can affect the game a lot by controlling it or doing stuff before the actual goal and assists. I didn't know that Pedri was being played as more of an AM. He can be just as good and effective a player though as a pure CM.

Yeah he was injured a lot last season. How do you prefer to see Pedri being played? Do you prefer him deeper too?
Like I've said multiple times and all coach seems to agree with me, he's a classic Spanish AM/CM hybrid, he won't score as much as the wirtz and Bellingham's but when fit and inform, his presence will be felt in a game much more than those kind of players.

He's definitely not a CM who will dictate the pace and tempo of a game, and play in a deep position.

Maradona37

Like I've said multiple times and all coach seems to agree with me, he's a classic Spanish AM/CM hybrid, he won't score as much as the wirtz and Bellingham's but when fit and inform, his presence will be felt in a game much more than those kind of players.

He's definitely not a CM who will dictate the pace and tempo of a game, and play in a deep position.
Fair enough. I know what you mean. He's not exactly like a Rodri or Busquets or even Xavi (who wasn't a DM), but he's not a pure attacking midfielder either. He's a bit in between, like an 8.

I still think - me personally - that his skillset leans more to pure CM. But I fully understand your point that he can do things further up the park too.

He's a hard player to really define, to be honest.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans