20 - Dani Olmo

Maradona37

Well they can play whatever they want but they should not expect Messi level performances who is probably the last true 10 in decades.
I am not convinced he's a number 10 either, but nobody should ever expect or even find realistic Messi level performances from any player, not just Pedri.

Sounds like you think he's better deeper. Lots of arguments about it in here.

companyofcules

I am not convinced he's a number 10 either, but nobody should ever expect or even find realistic Messi level performances from any player, not just Pedri.

Sounds like you think he's better deeper. Lots of arguments about it in here.
He is not, he lacks even the body mass especialy in the legs. Even Modric is more heavy and at his prime the number 10 position was shared betwen Benzema, Isco, James while Modric had more explosion as a young player than Pedri. So the whole discussion is a waste of time.

Maradona37

He is not, he lacks even the body mass especialy in the legs. Even Modric is more heavy and at his prime the number 10 position was shared betwen Benzema, Isco, James while Modric had more explosion as a young player than Pedri. So the whole discussion is a waste of time.
Fair enough.

companyofcules

Fair enough.
Btw we put too much pressure on our CMsx because our atack is very poor so they tend to do bad even in their roles and get injured trying to save the situation. Pedri is Xavi level but gets too overworked and stressed out. He just needs more muscles and to be spared all this insane pressure to carry our attacks.

Maradona37

Btw we put too much pressure on our CMsx because our atack is very poor so they tend to do bad even in their roles and get injured trying to save the situation. Pedri is Xavi level but gets too overworked and stressed out. He just needs more muscles and to be spared all this insane pressure to carry our attacks.
I appreciate your insights about the attack and how CM is overworked.

I don't agree that Pedri is Xavi level though. No disrespect to Pedri, but Xavi is a contender for an all-time XI and the best midfielder I have seen since Matthaus. Pedri for me won't ever be at that level. Hardly anyone is, though.

vegitot

Oh but they did for 4 years now
So why are we talking about him not playing well as an 8 or 10 if he is not similar? Of course Olmo should be better. Is he Barcelona level? Now that is a question only the fans of Gundogan should respond. So you want Olmo over Gundogan?
Because people always make these kind of comparisons. Pedri does share similiar trait of Iniesta. Calm, composure and elegance touch, with good passing skill and pausa. However it is clearly now Pedri plays nothing similiar to Iniesta. Still it won't stop the comparison. Even Iniesta thinks Pedri is his heir.

Porque

Pedri was playing all out for 60 minutes, with Olmo coming on for him when the opposition tires. It was a similar tactic to how Aragones used Xavi and Iniesta in 2008.

It's not a far stretch to say Spain would reach the final with Pedri as we still had Olmo coming on to take advantage.

With Pedri Spain had a better grasp of possession with Pedri leading the tournament for chance creation.

So yeah.

FinBarcelonafan

Pedri was playing all out for 60 minutes, with Olmo coming on for him when the opposition tires. It was a similar tactic to how Aragones used Xavi and Iniesta in 2008.

It's not a far stretch to say Spain would reach the final with Pedri as we still had Olmo coming on to take advantage.

With Pedri Spain had a better grasp of possession with Pedri leading the tournament for chance creation.

So yeah.

That's well said. Pedri adds more ball control, because his ability to keep the ball and making smart passes etc. Olmo adds a bit more chaos but he can score occasional Worldly or make a good last pass, which has been working wonderfully in this tournament. Both are important.

vegitot

So yeah.
Would Olmo have made impact if he had just played like 30 mins as a sub for Pedri instead of starting?

This game vs France, Spain basically won from the first half. As much as i love Pedri, i don't see he will ever pull off that Olmo's touch to score. He would not even think of it.

Spain had less possesion vs Croatia (Pedri started this game).

I think Pedri starts to improving his attacking instinct, get better at finding space in the final third/between the line.

Still it is clear that Olmo plays better for Spain this Euro.

jamrock

Would Olmo have made impact if he had just played like 30 mins as a sub for Pedri instead of starting?

This game vs France, Spain basically won from the first half. As much as i love Pedri, i don't see he will ever pull off that Olmo's touch to score. He would not even think of it.

I think Pedri starts to improving his attacking instinct, get better at finding space in the final third/between the line.

Pedri has scored about two of those exact goals in the last season for us, just saying.

Porque

I don't know. The patterns of play would have been totally different. But he did score a couple of jinky goals before. Like Sevilla

But I do think that Pedri should look at Fabian and focus on being a better version of that. That's if we go with a similar setup at Barca.

It's just the injuries.

There's more natural attacking mids coming through LaMasia, or if have budget, guys like Wirtz.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans