2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

DucdeOrléans

No one has compared them. If so when?

I only found the statistic interesting.

2 Cl titles in 25 years is not actually great but rather disappointing compared to his domestic success.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Awww... don't be upset. At least your team will get a chance in europe next season, well pretend europe anyway. But let me guess...'wait until next seaon and we'll see!' right?. Love it when you guys say that, Iv'e won £20 quid for the last 6 years off my mate saying the same thing. But by all means keep hating, I know it makes you guys feel better.

:lol:

innniesta

hey unbiased, i dont mean this to be rude or anything but rather want your opinion.

I remember you saying this united side NEVER ever get tired, whereas on redcafe i saw many posters saying that after 60 mins all the united players looked exhausted from having to chase the ball all game whereas barca just pass it around and dont need to run as much. What did you think about that ? did ya think they were actually getting tired out or were just too demoralised to put in effort in the last 30 mins of the game ?

Unbiased United

No one has compared them. If so when?

I only found the statistic interesting.

2 Cl titles in 25 years is not actually great but rather disappointing compared to his domestic success.

Not disappointing at all I don't think. I know its easy to get caught up in everything, but as Pep has said many times, don't forget how hard it is to actually win the CL. Most managers (even top ones) can never win it. Its much harder to win than Barcelona are making it look at the minute. For one manager to win the CL twice is a superb achievement. The fact he won it in 99 then built up a totally new team to win it again in 08 deserves a lot of credit. He's just unfortunate that this Barcelona team is perhaps the best team to ever play the game at the same time he has made it to two more finals, because if not he would likely have won it 4 times.

hey unbiased, i dont mean this to be rude or anything but rather want your opinion.

I remember you saying this united side NEVER ever get tired, whereas on redcafe i saw many posters saying that after 60 mins all the united players looked exhausted from having to chase the ball all game whereas barca just pass it around and dont need to run as much. What did you think about that ? did ya think they were actually getting tired out or were just too demoralised to put in effort in the last 30 mins of the game ?

I think I was proably exaggerating a bit trying to defend my team tbh! lol. It was probably a bit of both though, with United realsing the size of the task ahead of them, and also being a bit tired from constant chasing. They are top class athlete's however, so I do think it would defiantely be more of a case of them being demoralised than anything.

alex 10

Somebody had a banner last night that read "Man Utd-19 Times"
Nice to see they counted how many times they touched the ball....

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Well done Barcelona!

I'm quite blown away to be honest, I've seen Barca dominate other teams like that, and although I always knew they could hurt us I didn't expect it to be so comprehensively. It was a masterclass and I concede they are possibly the best team ever, and certainly the best passing team to ever play the game.

Whats so frustrating is that I know United are very capable of hurting teams when we get chances, (as our goal proved), but even a team like United, who are known for keeping possesion just couldn't get those chances (we couldn't get the ball, nevermind chances). If I wasn't a United fan I might say Barca are 'lucky', because the ball always ends up at a Barca players feet. It could take a huge deflection off a player and unquestionably land at the feet of a Barca player. But thats not luck, great teams create their own 'luck', they just simply know where they need to be every time.

I'm gutted that we lost, but I'm not angry. There was little bad blood, or controverstial decsions. The game was played mostly in good spirits, and we lost not because we are a bad team but because of Barcelona's class. In fact I still think United are a fantastic team (you don't win the EPL by 9 points, and get to the CL final otherwise), but even a plain old 'fantastic' team is going to get beaten by the best team in the world.

Anyone who I previously described as arrogant or overly cocky, will no doubt have a lot to say now. But my opinion hasn't and never will change on what I said. There have been many people in the past, showing the same traits as yourselves and ended up with a serious amount of egg on their faces....but luckily for you Barca have stepped up to the mark. It would be nice to see the people I speak of being as modest and humble as those in the Barca camp, but I think there is little chance of that happening tbh.

However to everyone else, I can offer nothing but good things to say. Not only do Barcelona know how to win convincingly, they know how to do it in style. I really can't take anything away from them. They deserved to win last night and I make no excuses. They are quite simply fantastic, and now having beaten everyone put in front of them can rightly take the title of being 'the best''.

From a United point of view I can't think of many positives OR negatives. Rooney's goal showed just what a world class player he is, and the full team certainly didn't lack in the effort they put in, but thats about it. On the downside, I was disappointed with our fabulous keeper. VDS has been a rock this season, and as such I thought he could have done better with Barca's first two goals. Also Hernandez was very off the mark, and showed although he's a fantastic young player, he still has a lot to learn. But other than that it was Barcelona's class which infuenced the outcome, not anything United did rightly or wrongly.

Its being said United will sign some top players now, and if so hopefully, if we meet again next season (which I think we will), will mean we have more of a chance, but against that Barca team, perhaps not.

Well done Barca, enjoy the celebrations Cules!

Stick around brother... I hope you don't stay on your word this one time and will hang around a bit more. Too good a poster to miss out on

There in spirit

Barcelona_sale_calle_triunfo_Barca.jpg

That is simply amazing... What would I not give to be there!!

Superfly

Banned
Man Utd's biggest mistake was giving our players way to much space. In the first 10-15 minutes, United were doing just fine. Rooney, Giggs, Park, Valencia and the whole team were pressuring our players like crazy and it was working. They eventually let Barca settle down and we all know what happened after that.

Speaking of Park, he was non-existant last night. He was losing the ball most of the time and the only time I saw him shine was when he gave that good pass to Chicharito. I was watching the game at my uncles house (Man U supporter) and even he said that Park wasn't doing !@#$. Chicharito shouldn't have started either imo. I would have chosen Berbatov, who has much more experience then Hernandez. I would be extremely nervous too if I was transfered from a club like Chivas to Manchester United and being chosen to start for a very important match like the CL final.

DucdeOrléans

Unbiased:

I think you would call it bad, if you compare it to his domestic success and the financial ressources Man Utd had most of the time Ferguson was in charge of the team.

Yeah, and if Bayern had not collapsed in the stoppage time or had Terry not slipped he could have won 0.

And of course it is hard to win the CL, that's not the point. But when someone calls him the best manager in history you expect him to perform a lot better on the biggest stage in club football.

Great pic FCBarca. Would have loved to be at La Rambla yesterday night and this evening.

Unbiased United

Thanks el estel! :) Nice of you to say. I probably won't post as much (which I'm sure will please some people lol) but I'll defiantely stick around.

Wow, what a picture that is!...Hard not to be impressed by that, even as a non Cule.

Blaugrana dude

Man Utd's biggest mistake was giving our players way to much space. In the first 10-15 minutes, United were doing just fine. Rooney, Giggs, Park, Valencia and the whole team were pressuring our players like crazy and it was working. They eventually let Barca settle down and we all know what happened after that.

Speaking of Park, he was non-existant last night. He was losing the ball most of the time and the only time I saw him shine was when he gave that good pass to Chicharito. I was watching the game at my uncles house (Man U supporter) and even he said that Park wasn't doing !@#$. Chicharito shouldn't have started either imo. I would have chosen Berbatov, who has much more experience then Hernandez. I would be extremely nervous too if I was transfered from a club like Chivas to Manchester United and being chosen to start for a very important match like the CL final.

Its unlikely that Berbatov would have changed anything. He hasn't scored a goal in Europe since 2008 and even last year we saw SAF prefer an injured Rooney in the 2nd leg with Bayern Munich. Lol, last night he even preferred Owen over him, which shows the amount of confidence that SAF has in him.

Unbiased United

I think the point is (and believe me I don't like to say this!), but I don't think it would have mattered who United played or what they did....Barca playing as they did left no other possibility than a win for them. It was almost inhuman at times. Such was the Barca preformance it was almost like they played with an 'hive mind' rather than as 11 individuals....totally exquisite!

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I'm already prepared for a heartache this sat. Based on my gut feeling and historical pattern, I only see a United win
zanela said:

I think United gonna win this Champions League...

1) The last time there was all Spanish semi final & a semi final involving an English team and a German team... The all Spanish semi final ended 0-2 in the first leg & 1-1 in the second, it was Madrid then and now it's Barcelona progressing to the final - REVERSE
2) The other semi final resulted in the German team advancing and in all probability it's going to be the English team - REVERSE
3) The final was won by the Spanish team - So complete the sentence, it's going to be REVERSE and the other team gonna win!
4) The last time Barcelona & United played in final, Barcelona won it. So odds would be in favor of United this time. Again the REVERSE concept could be proven right too!!

I hate this. I ridiculed Utd's winning chances this season because of their squad and limited options for rotation and it's going to bite my ass. I have a strong feeling about it:( This destiny concept is being a prick in my ass for some time now! To make the matters worse, Mike Hawk officially declared yesterday, his support for us in the final:cry:

What do I do for this Zan? :p

Last edited:

Unbiased United

Unbiased:

I think you would call it bad, if you compare it to his domestic success and the financial ressources Man Utd had most of the time Ferguson was in charge of the team.

Yeah, and if Bayern had not collapsed in the stoppage time or had Terry not slipped he could have won 0.

And of course it is hard to win the CL, that's not the point. But when someone calls him the best manager in history you expect him to perform a lot better on the biggest stage in club football.

Great pic FCBarca. Would have loved to be at La Rambla yesterday night and this evening.

If you don't think he's the best thats fine, Its my opinion vs yours. Your absolutely right he could have had 0 also, but it says a lot that he's widely regarded (by his peers too) as the best, but of course its arguable.

Let history decide who's the best....

Home of Barca Fans