2011 CL Final: FC Barcelona - Manchester United FC 3-1 - Champions!

Unbiased United

Say all you want about United but there's no one that can deny SAF's brilliance. No one. A living legend. There's a reason why it's SIR alex ferguson.

How did me and you not get along at first? lol ...Iv'e got a lot of respect for you for this, a hell of a lot.

Alex, you should no money is far from everything when it comes to success, Arsenal achieved a hell of a lot and were our main rivals without spending a lot. I bet City have spent more in the last five years than United have in their full history. I don't even need to mention Chelsea and their lack of success in the CL after what they have spent. You can but great players, but you can't buy a great team.

desoe

I think Fergie's hunger in CL became insane in the last few years and that's the exact reason for that. He knew that soon or later he will win the 19th and surpass Liverpool, but he also always knew that his CL record could (and should) be better.

It's a bad luck for him that if it wasn't about Barcelona's brilliance, now United could have been on equal terms with Liverpool in CL. He knows that and it is hurting him a lot IMO, because especially his 2009 team couldn't be stopped in Europe, if it was not us. He was very close.

Unbiased United

United have had great teams though.

Thats my point. It takes a special manager to create a great team. Compare Barca to RM, Chelsea and City. Spend all you want, its the manager who will make it work.

I think Fergie's hunger in CL became insane in the last few years and that's the exact reason for that. He knew that soon or later he will win the 19th and surpass Liverpool, but he also always knew that his CL record could (and should) be better.

It's a bad luck for him that if it wasn't about Barcelona's brilliance, now United could have been on equal terms with Liverpool in CL. He knows that and it is hurting him a lot IMO, because especially his 2009 team couldn't be stopped in Europe, if it was not us. He was very close.

I have said exactly the same before. Its the first time in his time at United he just doesn't have an answer for a problem and its definately hurting him that he can't get us up there with the four time winners and above. Which if not for this ridiculously good Barca team he would surely have done.

Bergkamp10

I think Fergie is a legend and a fantastic manager, I just don't think he's the best of all time. I think Mourinho will be remember as better as will the likes of Clough, Stein, Michaels etc.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
How did me and you not get along at first? lol ...Iv'e got a lot of respect for you for this, a hell of a lot.

Alex, you should no money is far from everything when it comes to success, Arsenal achieved a hell of a lot and were our main rivals without spending a lot. I bet City have spent more in the last five years than United have in their full history. I don't even need to mention Chelsea and their lack of success in the CL after what they have spent. You can but great players, but you can't buy a great team.
Thing is, what I wrote you took it was criticism of United. I just said that Barcelona were superior, in which I was right about wasen't I? All I said from the beginning was, United brilliant team that can cause us dangers on the counter but we are better and probably will/should overcome. You exploded. Dno why. Perhaps I had an arrogant tone but that was just to WUm you up. I always had mad respect for United and SAF. I always had a crush on Scholes and Giggs as I have on Zanetti and Maldini.

If you had been here longer you wouldn't have reacted like you did and you would have understood what I meant ;)

Thing is, what I wrote you took it was criticism of United. I just said that Barcelona were superior, in which I was right about wasen't I? All I said from the beginning was, United brilliant team that can cause us dangers on the counter but we are better and probably will/should overcome. You exploded. Dno why. Perhaps I had an arrogant tone but that was just to WUm you up. I always had mad respect for United and SAF. I always had a crush on Scholes and Giggs as I have on Zanetti and Maldini.

If you had been here longer you wouldn't have reacted like you did and you would have understood what I meant ;)

Fergie took 25 years to get 2, Mourinho took 6 to get 2.
You just proved my point? Luck is all that is needed.

Unbiased United

I can't really remember our first interactions, but I know it was during a pretty bad United bashing period (which is unusual oh here, usually quite fair), so maybe I was already pissed off and read into your comments wrongly, I seriously can't remember, it was coming from all angles! Iv'e never had a bad word to say about Barca so its not like I was being a troll or anything, but maybe I was a bit touchy, I dunno....anyway its all in the past and we are all firends again....at least until the next time we meet! ;)

Bergkamp10

Not really, it just proves that to win a Champions league the manager needs to be excellent tactically which Mourinho is. Is Pep lucky then? Cos he's won 2 in 3 years. His CL's and Mourinho's CL's have probably had less luck involved than Fergie's.

Last edited:

Kubala

Small details can decide such big competitions, it's diffiult to win many CL's. The best teams and managers are in there competing every year and 3 finals in 5 years speaks volumes for Fergie. Money can't buy a CL, just ask Chelsea, with or without Mourinho.
When you talk about luck, Mourinho had a lifetimes supply when he won with Porto. Fergie, imo, is just unlucky to be around at the same time as this magnificent Barca side, otherwise he would have 3 or 4 to his name.
Also to his credit is that he has built and rebuilt these teams, not just taken over already good teams.

desoe

Luck is important, but it could only help you, not win your games. For example - we had luck with Iniesta's heartbreaker at the Bridge, but did we beat this massive United team with luck? Hell no.

And as about Pep - his role is heavily underrated by many people. Not in this particular forum, but from really a lot of people. Some guys just love to say "it is all about Messi, Iniesta and Xavi" and stuff like this (like even if you put a monkey for a manager, he would win it with these players), but this epic team would never work without Pep's touch for details and everything else. Because this is Barca's football right now - details. Every little piece must be on its place, everything must be precise and calculated. It's Pep's role, along with his man management and keeping the dressing room together and always hungry for more. Something Frank Rijkaard failed at.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
I can't really remember our first interactions, but I know it was during a pretty bad United bashing period (which is unusual oh here, usually quite fair), so maybe I was already pissed off and read into your comments wrongly, I seriously can't remember, it was coming from all angles! Iv'e never had a bad word to say about Barca so its not like I was being a troll or anything, but maybe I was a bit touchy, I dunno....anyway its all in the past and we are all firends again....at least until the next time we meet! ;)
I don't make friends nor do I make enemies on a forum ;) no hard feelings from me

Home of Barca Fans