2015 CL Final: Barca - Juve 3-1 !!!CAMPIONS!!!

StarLord

StarLord the flaws in your logic is huge.

Just look at the difference Guardiola made to Barcelona in 2008/09 with largely the same group of players as year before.

The difference was massive.

What you are saying here is that the only factor that changed between 07/08 and 08/09 was Pep. But it was not so, many washed-out players left, new came in (prime Alves) we had less injuries, Messi, Eto'o and Henry had many injuries the previous season, and our MIX came for the first time into the forefront. Some of it was of course down to Pep who did the right moves, but without the outrageous talent under his management, not a single goal would be scored. The players and their physical condition is the deciding factor in football, not managers. Experts still try to work out if managers do indeed have any kind of effect on football results. They did not have much success up to now.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Our players are more important than the coach. Players in general are far more decisive than managers in deciding the outcomes of football matches. Give Pep the players that Stoke have, and Jose the players that Cordoba have and let's see what they can do. I don't think that this point is remotely worth arguing. People over the internet vastly overrate the influence that managers have over the game.

The point under discussion, was not who is best out of our front three, which is of course Messi. The point of discussion was what was the reason for Barcelona's improved performance this season, and especially in big games. Clearly, the factor behind over our much improved fortunes, are Suarez and Neymar. Before these two, we had players like Ibra, Alexis and Pedro who failed time and again in these tough CL games where Suarez and Neymar simply dispatched one big team after the other. So yes, the X-factor behind our excellent CL-run unto this day were S and N. I repeat, Messi on his own, or Messi plus Alexis and later-day Pedro would have never managed to score that many goals and create than many chances versus City/PSG/Bayern. I hope that answers your question.

BTW, Iniesta missed both semis vs Inter in 2010. He was there for all the big CL games in 2011 though. Moreover, the analogy you are attempting to draw between Villa and Suarez-Neymar is completely false. Villa only scored 2 times in 7 games in the CL knockouts of 2011. Neymar and Suarez have scored 10 goals in 6 and against far stronger opposition overall. Additionally, Xavi and Iniesta were still very much in their prime in 2011, so obviously they were a mega-factor. We have no such luxuries in midfield anymore, anyone who does not acknowledge this should stop commenting on Barcelona completely. This season, our forward line has carried the load for our success. Sure every-single player helps in their own ways, but just ask anyone who they would take out of our team.

Of course I deny that Barca faced Bayern at the perfect time. Like I have been asking on this forum for months now, please tell me, what big European side (and how) have Bayern beaten in the last two seasons, even with Ribery/Robben/Alaba on? I am still to get a reply. If anything, Bayern played far better against us, than in other of their games these past two seasons. Both you and Ryu should just accept that Barcelona have been the best team on the continent this season, full stop.

Could have they done better against us if they had those players available? Maybe, maybe not, who knows? How many times are you and Ryu gonna remind us that Alaba, Ribery, Martiniz, Robben and Badstuber were missing? Remember that they had those players when facing Real Madrid last season. What good did it do? They also had them against Shaktar in Lvov. Please remind of the scoreline that night. So again, they had those players on many instances throughout the season, yet were they any better than us?

As for 2013. Messi being fully fit would have been great, yet how many times have you seen me banging on about it? In any case, no matter what, I think that Bayern would have beaten us that season (not 7-0 of course, but we would still go out) since we had serious issues against Milan and PSG as well.

Moreover, you forget what I have been saying all along. Messi is not just someone we can remotely hope to replace. On his own, he is more influential than all of the players that Bayern were missing recently. We also completely lack Bayern's strength in depth.

Lastly, you saying: did not come after Robben was injured, but after a dead-rubber Bundesliga game in which they lost, again clearly implying that we were fortunate to have faced a crumbling Bayern team.

:facepalm:

Sorry dude but I'm not going to derail the thread further.

Cheers.

JamDav1982

What you are saying here is that the only factor that changed between 07/08 and 08/09 was Pep. But it was not so, many washed-out players left, new came in (prime Alves) we had less injuries, Messi, Eto'o and Henry had many injuries the previous season, and our MIX came for the first time into the forefront. Some of it was of course down to Pep who did the right moves, but without the outrageous talent under his management, not a single goal would be scored. The players and their physical condition is the deciding factor in football, not managers. Experts still try to work out if managers do indeed have any kind of effect on football results. They did not have much success up to now.

Flaw in logic again....whos decision was it to move on the 'washed out players'?

It was Pep.

Who totally changed the tactical approach to the team and decided to give more trust to the likes of Xavi/Iniesta? Pep.

You dont seem to realise that it is a two way thing. Managers giving the players a platform to be match winners.

StarLord

Flaw in logic again....whos decision was it to move on the 'washed out players'?

It was Pep.

Who totally changed the tactical approach to the team and decided to give more trust to the likes of Xavi/Iniesta? Pep.

You dont seem to realise that it is a two way thing. Managers giving the players a platform to be match winners.

But I agree that what Pep did that summer was correct. But none of it would have made any difference had we the same injuries as before, or if Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Alves, Henry, Puyol, Yaya etc etc did not play the football of their lives. Think about it as hard as you like and try to find a better collection of players (and at the right age/stage of their careers) coming together in one single team.

JamDav1982

But I agree that what Pep did that summer was correct. But none of it would have made any difference had we the same injuries as before, or if Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Alves, Henry, Puyol, Yaya etc etc did not play the football of their lives. Think about it as hard as you like and try to find a better collection of players (and at the right age/stage of their careers) coming together in one single team.

Henry actually played more games the season before Pep came in than in Peps first.

Pep allowed Xavi and Iniesta to play the football of their lives by putting them at the center of the team and playing a style that completely suited them.

Easy to say how good Xavi and Iniesta are now as you look back with hind sight but they only became the internationally recognised players they became after Pep came in to Barcelona. Although they did play well at Euro 2008.

All the players you mention had been at Barca for years and never played or won things they way they did under Pep and his system.

By far one of the most worst arguments I have ever read on here coming from you now. Ridiculous.

BarcaOG

Banned
We have to take Juventus with the utmost seriousness. This will not be easy, and our players must be prepared to give it all to win.

StarLord

explain atletico's success with inferior players last season then.

First of all we have to establish the degree of their of their inferiority and then try and account for the factors making up for it. Moreover, deviation is always part of life. All teams/players overshoot their potential at some stage of their careers.

But in the case of Simeone I would happily and readily accept that he is the very rare exception, a manager that has actually and without a shred of a doubt, made a difference. Still, exceptions do nothing but confirm the rule.

StarLord

Henry actually played more games the season before Pep came in than in Peps first.

Pep allowed Xavi and Iniesta to play the football of their lives by putting them at the center of the team and playing a style that completely suited them.

Easy to say how good Xavi and Iniesta are now as you look back with hind sight but they only became the internationally recognised players they became after Pep came in to Barcelona. Although they did play well at Euro 2008.

All the players you mention had been at Barca for years and never played or won things they way they did under Pep and his system.

By far one of the most worst arguments I have ever read on here coming from you now. Ridiculous.

Xavi was player of the tournament in Euro 2008. Iniesta was in the best XI. Xavi was also coming off a great season the year before. Although we had those players before, they only hit their peak at that time. How much of it was down to Pep, we cannot possibly know. But I would say this. Pep rightly took a gamble, and it paid off handsomely for him.

JamDav1982

First of all we have to establish the degree of their of their inferiority and then try and account for the factors making up for it. Moreover, deviation is always part of life. All teams/players overshoot their potential at some stage of their careers.

But in the case of Simeone I would happily and readily accept that he is the very rare exception, a manager that has actually and without a shred of a doubt, made a difference. Still, exceptions do nothing but confirm the rule.

Your rule....not a rule based on any sense.

For your rule to be correct then all the below is irrelevant -

Players a managers signs
Training
Managers Tacicts
Analyzing opponents.
Manager keeping players motivated
Manager rotating squad properly

Probably a hundred more but it is clear as day what Pep brought to Barcelona, what Alex Ferguson brought to Man Utd, what Simeone brought to Atletico, what Mourinho brought to Inter.

Beyond ridiculous to make out a manager makes little difference.

It is a two way thing players and managers. The best managers give the players the conditions to perform. If Barca dont have a goo/organised defence this season then a lot of Neymar/Suarez/Messi or other players match winning moments dont happen for example.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I prefer reading you lovely posts:

So, again, the implications are clear. If only Alaba was there man! Barca would be doomed!

Jesus fuck man. The implication is clear, yes. With Alaba instead of Bernat, Bayern would at least MOST LIKELY not have conceded the very first goal of the tie. Everything else from that moment onwards is complete speculation. MOST LIKELY the tie would have been closer, if not even much closer.
The implication is sure as shit not "Barca would have been doomed".
I already told you once, and I can only repeat myself, don't presume to know what I might have meant or might not have meant. And you do that all the time, which makes you pull out one straw man after the other, which ultimately results in both parties of the discussion getting frustrated.
I hope, we can put this crap behind us now and understand each other a little better in the future to avoid unnecessary miscommunication and thread de-rails.
//off-topic end

Anyways... of all the people, I think Chiellini is actually the most unlikely to put Messi in his pocket, come the final. I don't see him as a guy who comes even close at having the toolset of taking Messi out of the game all on his own.
If at all, Allegri would only succeed if he'd be pressed by two or even three guys at the same time, 1 going directly at him, 2 blocking the passing lanes. If they manage to do that for 90 minutes, Messi might be in Juve's pocket. Otherwise he will get those one or two clinical passes to Neymar or Suarez and the rest will be history.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Guys, please create a PepBarça vs LuchoBarça or PepBarça vs Bayern thread to discuss this, otherwise this will never end and you're destroying this thread.

Home of Barca Fans