21 - Frenkie de Jong

JamDav1982

He's poor as a lone DM, always has been. Undisciplined, all over the place and has lapses in concentration(like at Porto's goal last night).

Two meh to poor games from him since returning. But forum is raving like he's the second coming.

Play him at LCM or as the box to box in a double pivot.

Fake news.

Two good games and at DM where not his position.

World class and gets in any team in the world.

Co0ter

Vespa, you were thinking he was playing CB the last two matches. Elite ball knowledge.
He wasn't listed as a CB in the lineup of course. He was playing as a DM who was dropping back into a flat line with the CBs 90% of the first half and some of the second though. He was essentially playing as a third CB, while both fullbacks pushed forward.

You can rewatch the game and easily come to that conclusion yourself if you missed it the first time. If you deny it, you're simply blind or a bit dumb. Maybe both.

Edit: I never said it happened the last two games, you conjured that up yourself. I only pointed it out regarding the Rayo match.

fergus90

Don’t even think Barca necessarily needs a single pivot but someone who could play alongside De Jong in a double pivot and then play someone CAM.

Maybe Zubimendi could do that. I got a feeling Xavi will try to convince Kimmich.

serghei

That's the future.

A double pivot of De Jong and Rodri or Tchouameni would be the best centre midfield on the planet.

Lone DM is difficult to pull off if you don't have a stellar team filled with incredible players. Only Manchester City can do it.

fergus90

Even Rodri isn’t a lone DM. There success arrived after Stones stepped up with him. Rodri gets in the box plenty and chips in with goals.

serghei

I know, but he operates the best as a sort of lone DM. Better than De Jong and any other player imo. Lone DM is not an exact term either, even Barca DM had plenty of help from players around him constantly.

malvolio

Don’t even think Barca necessarily needs a single pivot but someone who could play alongside De Jong in a double pivot and then play someone CAM.

Maybe Zubimendi could do that. I got a feeling Xavi will try to convince Kimmich.
No more washed up players. I mean, I've always liked Kimmich. But why get another semi-retired player?

Better bet on a young Zubimendi and see how it goes. Busi and Xavi seemed to favor him anyway.

serghei

The disapponting part of the Barca midfield is that the team lacks a player with intensity next to De Jong. Pedri and Gundogan are rather slow and weak physically, and Gavi is like a headless chicken often.

Often, it looks like the midfield is entirely up on De Jong to produce a great game or it looks unbalanced on both ends.

If it were up to me, I'd sign a DM and a pure AM. Something like Tchouameni and Bellingham as the AM. Of course those players could set you back some 200m.

Gavi and Pedri as squad players for now.

fergus90

No more washed up players. I mean, I've always liked Kimmich. But why get another semi-retired player?

Better bet on a young Zubimendi and see how it goes. Busi and Xavi seemed to favor him anyway.
I would prefer Zubimendi too at this stage.

Also think Enzo alongside FDJ would be good in a double pivot. But no chance he leaves Chelsea now.

serghei

I would prefer Zubimendi too at this stage.

Also think Enzo alongside FDJ would be good in a double pivot. But no chance he leaves Chelsea now.

Enzo is a good shout, but, as usual these days, too expensive. Any player that produced some impressive things at some point in the last year or so, even if briefly, is gonna be hit with a serious price tag, something like 80-100m.

It's the market.

Home of Barca Fans