23 - Jules Kounde

ajnotkeith

He's staying and showing up those with their, we should have signed a RB instead of a CB agenda's, both him and Laporta actually.

Dude is straight class one of the best young CB in the world, but we all knew that since his Sevilla days, there is a reason why almost every big club was linked to him at some point during his time there.

Least season he was the only CB that was consistently played out of position, Aruajo only moved to RB to cover Vini and he covered us well.

For one I don't like the impression that Xavi is summiting to his pressure to move to CB, but that aside .

As it relates to this season, I think Xavi will rotate a lot between our CBs, all 4 will see good playing time, but longer term I get the feeling Kounde Aruajo will be where he lands, that was always the plan but circumstances and Christensen awesomeness changed that.

For the biggest games, I see Aruajo at RB and cancelo being moved to LB, Balde on the bench a few times at least.

But it's a good problem to have.
Well if he would move to CB it would mainly be because we now have a top-class RB option.
Kounde at RB was far from ideal but was an adaptation that had to be made when we failed to pick up and RB and only choice was Roberto.

Kounde in his natural position can offer more things.

JamDav1982

Was he? Again, they didn’t compete unlike this season with Cancelos arrival. We will see, my money is on Kounde.

Last season yes he was... or what is the 'continuity' argument even about?

Did it not matter and he was in top two anyway?

Money on Kounde for what? Better than Christensen?

mc_lovin

Last season yes he was... or what is the 'continuity' argument even about?

Did it not matter and he was in top two anyway?

Money on Kounde for what? Better than Christensen?
He was arguably already top 2 last season. Looked worse down to continuity at worst (don’t think there was much between the 3 at CB even last season).

And yes, Kounde will play the biggest games when all 3 are fit and Christensen most likely to be benched.

JamDav1982

He was arguably already top 2 last season. Looked worse down to continuity at worst (don’t think there was much between the 3 at CB even last season).

And yes, Kounde will play the biggest games when all 3 are fit and Christensen most likely to be benched.

He wasnt but the continuity argument goes out window then really and irrelevant.

Maybe he will. Lets see but hopefully it proves correct decision if he does.

mc_lovin

The continuity argument matters as one of them had a handicap (but all 3 were roughly equal at CB). If we would have signed Cancelo last year I think Kounde would have already established himself as first choice, but impossible to know.

jamrock

The continuity argument matters as one of them had a handicap (but all 3 were roughly equal at CB). If we would have signed Cancelo last year I think Kounde would have already established himself as first choice, but impossible to know.

I agree with this, if we sign a RB last season, he definitely would have, but in a sense I'm glad we didn't, because we got to see how good Christensen was.

Happy coincidence, now we have 3 class CB

JamDav1982

None of them had 'continuity' as same with many other players some who played well and others who didnt.

Imppossible to tell indeed but if he was first choice he would need to have been better than was when played there.

As said dont think he has been as good yet this season as made out but does look better.

jamrock

Crap, no one thought he was this good when he signed, thought he would add good depth, but to be arguably our most consistently good player last season, NONE not one thought that.

Won't even debate this point.

JamDav1982

Crap, no one thought he was this good when he signed, thought he would add good depth, but to be arguably our most consistently good player last season, NONE not one thought that.

Crap.

Christensen was going to be the starter and folk saying Barca getting a 40m+ player for free who is great on ball etc.

Was not better than likes of FDJ last season but had very good season when fit.

That was whole basis of the sign a RB argument......Christensen is top player and compliments Araujo now need a RB.

Clearly said Kounde is a good player and good value but not worth that money for RB...some claimed he would be great there etc.

All been debated.

Co0ter

Kounde shared a lot of minutes at RB last season, but it doesn't change the fact that Christensen and Araujo were much better at CB. Kounde was shaky and not convincing. He didn't play well in preseason either.

The important thing is that he's shown he can play very well. Even yesterday, he was shaky and made several mistakes while on the ball. He has many other strengths, but he hasn't displayed time on the ball as one of them so far. Christensen particularly has been by far the best on the ball.

Kounde is young and obviously has a lot of talent. If he can settle in and clean up his game a bit, having 3 top CBs for 2 slots will be a great problem to have.

Last edited:

Co0ter

All Chelsea fans, including one of my best friends, said Christensen was class but was made of glass. Not massive injuries, but frequent small ones. Always looked a top defender.

We just got lucky that he was healthy for an extended period of time.

soul24rage

Kounde shared a lot of minutes at RB last season, but it doesn't change the fact that Christensen and Araujo were much better at CB. Kounde was shaky and not convincing. He didn't played well in preseason either.

The important thing is that he's shown he can play very well. Even yesterday, he was shaky and made several mistakes while on the ball. He has many other strengths, but he hasn't displayed time on the ball as one of them so far. Christensen particularly has been by far the best on the ball.

Kounde is young and obviously has a lot of talent. If he can settle in and clean up his game a bit, having 3 top CBs for 2 slots will be a great problem to have.
Agreed, especially with the injury records of Araujo and Christensen, I'm sure Kounde will have a lot of game time at CB

Porque

With Joao now at RB, last season may have been a blessing for Kounde, as the right centre is going to have to anticipate that attacking space on counters, and when the DMC makes it a defensive trio.

Plenty of experience in that area of the field last year.

Home of Barca Fans