23 - Jules Kounde

serghei

We need a CB with Kounde's athleticism alongside Araujo to have a shot IMO.

Christensen is good, but I see him as a 3rd choice CB type of player.

Fast CB and keeper minimum, but also Busi can always be a problem for really high stakes games.

Attack and midfield are possibly CL winner level if Raphinha proves to be a Mane quality player.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Fast CB and keeper minimum, but also Busi can always be a problem for really high stakes games.

Busi is a problem, but hopefully Nico manages to keep doing well enough for Xavi to see him as a legit option.

serghei

Depends on luck as well. Get an easier group, win it, get a normal draw in Last 16 and you're in the last 8. All it takes is some real luck in QF draw, the big one for me, like when Liverpool played Porto and Benfica all those years.

serghei

Part of my antipathy for EV was the fact that he got pretty lucky with his CL draws and still failed badly.

EL level Chelsea + Roma in Last 16 and QF in first year.

Lyon + United in Last 16 and QF in 2nd year.

These are pretty golden draws imo.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
if ter Stegen sucks this season and is a big enough liability to ruin or make trophy chances tougher I want the club to literally shoot him to the moon.

Make a deal with Elon Musk and tape him to one of those SpaceX rockets. Write off the rest of his contract as sunk cost.

serghei

if ter Stegen sucks this season and is a big enough liability to ruin or make trophy chances tougher I want the club to literally shoot him to the moon.

A better team would carry him well I think. In the CL you still have to save some tough shots on a game by game basis, so we're probably gonna go out. No way he is capable to pull off some of the insane saves Courtois had in most ties.

I think he's just good enough for La Liga.

JamDav1982

Part of my antipathy for EV was the fact that he got pretty lucky with his CL draws and still failed badly.

EL level Chelsea + Roma in Last 16 and QF in first year.

Lyon + United in Last 16 and QF in 2nd year.

These are pretty golden draws imo.

Got past Lyon and United though.. Liverpool was a coin toss and that Anfield results is on players more than EV although could say same about 3-0 in first leg.

Roma was a joke of a game from him and players.

Real won it despite a terrible defence and a lot of goals conceded despite some great saves from Courtois.

Last edited:

serghei

Got past Lyon and United though.. Liverpool was a coin toss and that Anfield results is on players more than EV although could say same about 3-0 in first leg.

Roma was a joke of a game from him and players.

Both Roma and Anfield should have been passes though. Roma obligatory, and Liverpool due to circumstances, because they were in a neck and neck fight with City for the title, and had many injuries in the return leg. To lose 4-0 in those circumstances is also pretty terrible from anyone involved.

JamDav1982

Both Roma and Anfield should have been passes though. Roma obligatory, and Liverpool due to circumstances, because they were in a neck and neck fight with City for the title, and had many injuries in the return leg. To lose 4-0 in those circumstances is also pretty terrible from anyone involved.

Cant look at just Anfield in isolation and ignore first leg as if not on coach at all.

The Liverpool tie was tight and the players were more of reason Barca went out than the coach in that tie. Sent out to score and couldnt as missed chances while defensively made too many individual mistakes.

In two legs against a good Liverpool side dont think EV got nearly as much wrong as is made out.

Small margins.. Dembele could make it 4-0... Alba can not fuck up and increase pressure early. The coach doesnt have full control.

Anfield should have been a sign Barca old squad were done more than anytihing.

fergus90

Skriniar would be a great alternative but he's probably going to cost more than Kounde.

He's also perfectly capable of playing out from the back, super aggressive in the tackle too and fast.

FinBarcelonafan

Kounde would be a very good signing but I can see foresee him being shoved to RB so Pique remains in the XI.

Pique has played himself out of the starting lineup just because his life issues.. there's been a lot.

The whole guy could be distraction to this team.

gregorrin10

Well, I will always agree to that (Gvardiol, Skriniar) but our front office is not even mentioning their names as an alternative. I can also suggest looking in Brazil, Argentina or Uruguay for a young center back, who won't cost even the half of their price.

Too bad we didn't match Almeria's bid for Kaiky, he could've been a good option, although it's claer the club wants an already established CB. I think Kaiky remains a future option, especially since he's in La Liga now.

gregorrin10

Skriniar would be a great alternative but he's probably going to cost more than Kounde.

He's also perfectly capable of playing out from the back, super aggressive in the tackle too and fast.

Skriniar would actually be better than Kounde. Probably the only player who is better and at the same time is attainable this summer. Others like Gvardiol (still a very good option!) may have world class potential, but they're not there yet. And seems the club is finally determined to get a truly world class CB in, even after getting Christensen, who was a great pickup for free. In the past we would've been totally content with getting just Christensen this summer. For me that's a clear sign the club is ready to move on from Pique and his clown antics...finally! This is his last season for sure, and even then it won't be a bigger role than Xavi in 2015, if even that. If we get another world class CB in, all that's left for Pique is to fight with Garcia for the 4th spot.

Skriniar has actually been insane for Inter, best CB in the league by far, has been for 2 years. With players like De Ligt and Koulibaly also there at that time, that's big. Inter fans absolutely adore him. But he deserves a top club by now. His tackling, speed and anticipation are all top notch. I admit I haven't watched him enough to comment on his ball playing ability, maybe someone who watches Inter could shed some more light on that?

In any case, I'm glad the club are recognizing that a modern CB needs to first of all be strong and pacy. And that we're starting to look for defenders whose biggest ability is to actually defend, and not prioritize the ball playing ability over it. Basically moving on from the Piques and Lenglets to real, no nonsense defenders. Only after that, if they have great technique and ball playing ability, even better.

Temptation

Skriniar would actually be better than Kounde. Probably the only player who is better and at the same time is attainable this summer. Others like Gvardiol (still a very good option!) may have world class potential, but they're not there yet. And seems the club is finally determined to get a truly world class CB in, even after getting Christensen, who was a great pickup for free. In the past we would've been totally content with getting just Christensen this summer. For me that's a clear sign the club is ready to move on from Pique and his clown antics...finally! This is his last season for sure, and even then it won't be a bigger role than Xavi in 2015, if even that. If we get another world class CB in, all that's left for Pique is to fight with Garcia for the 4th spot.

Skriniar has actually been insane for Inter, best CB in the league by far, has been for 2 years. With players like De Ligt and Koulibaly also there at that time, that's big. Inter fans absolutely adore him. His tackling, speed and anticipation are all top notch. I admit I haven't watched him enough to comment on his ball playing ability, maybe someone who watches Inter could shed some more light on that?

In any case, I'm glad the club are recognizing that a modern CB needs to first of all be strong and pacy. And that we're starting to look for defenders whose biggest ability is to actually defend, and not prioritize the ball playing ability over it. Basically moving on from the Piques and Lenglets to real, no nonsense defenders. Only after that, if they have great technique and ball playing ability, even better.

So true that you posted it twice? Well, I'm not complaining!

Couldn't agree more.

Skriniar is the total package. His tactical awareness and marking is among the best in the world. He's a very strong tackler too. Good in the air and on the ball. He plays a bit like a veteran CB with years of experience.

Many Barca forum readers might not know this but this dude can fill in as a DM too. Seen him do it for his national team before. A very versatile and complete CB.

Better than De Ligt and Kounde. Yup!

gregorrin10

So true that you posted it twice? Well, I'm not complaining!

Couldn't agree more.

Shringar is the total package. His tactical awareness and marking is among the best in the world. He's a very strong tackler too. Good in the air and on the ball. He plays a bit like a veteran CB with years of experience.

Many Barca forum readers might not know this but this dude can fill in as a DM too. Seen him do it for his national team before. A very versatile and complete CB.

Better than De Lift and Kounde. Yup!

Edited and added a few lines, didn't want to see the edited sign on the bottom, a bit OCD about that.

Home of Barca Fans