24 - Eric García

Jay Jay

I agree with everything, but as we can see, Pique and Lenglet will play, and if Umtiti stays, for me in the current situation would be stupid to bring Garcia because we can bring him for free next season. The only question is in what condition is Umtiti.

Messi983

We can bring Garcia next season but he won't play much at City with Pep knowing he's leaving so he won't develop. Probably won't play much more here either but at least he could (re)adapt back to the club (which shouldn't be too hard for him) and who knows maybe he can surprise and actually improve our defense this season.

Umtiti will probably stay because no club wants to pay his wages but he should be a 5th CB and in the stands for most games when he'll be actually fit to play which won't be often. But if we can somehow offload him even by paying half of his wages we should do that no question.

Messi983

Fernando Polo says if we won't get Garcia we'll look for another cheaper alternative. So it seems Koeman wants another CB at any cost. Have no idea who that alternative could be but I'm a bit disappointed we didn't go seriously for Malang Sarr. Don't know if he's good enough but could be both a 3rd/4th CB and also a backup to Alba if Firpo leaves and he has more top level experience than Garcia or Araujo.

khaled_a_d

We've had some good succes with "shorter" CBs

Marquez 184 cm
Umtiti 182
Puyol 178
Masche 174

All of them were athletic CBs, unlike Eric.

This season is lost anyway results wise imo so at least what we could do is giving both of them (if Garcia is bought) enough minutes to develop and also play them together in easier games to see if they can potentially be our starting CBs in future. If not we'd only spend around 20m on both of them and one/both could be sold for profit (Araujo for sure and Garcia probably as well) and replaced with better players (or players who would fit us better).

Problem is that the board doesn't view it as a lost season.
Koeman will most likely fight for trophies after Font put pressure on him with Xavi name. Xavi is now waiting for his failure to take over most likely.

So, expect more ready CB like Pique & Lenglet to play

mc_lovin

All of them were athletic CBs, unlike Eric.

Problem is that the board doesn't view it as a lost season.
Koeman will most likely fight for trophies after Font put pressure on him with Xavi name. Xavi is now waiting for his failure to take over most likely.

So, expect more ready CB like Pique & Lenglet to play

Feck off. We have a bunch of defeatists here. Terrible mentality.

khaled_a_d

If he is fast and can jump 1.83 is more than enough. He would be playing for Barca, a team that usually has a big advantage in ball possession and not ATM.

That is the problem, he isn't fast or athletic enough.
He neither provide the towering ability of Pique, nor the athletic one of Puyol/Mascherano.
If he isn't really elite talent, then he is next Lenglet, and I don't like having 2 Lenglet in the team

Messi983

Is Garcia really that unathletic?

Don't see Xavi taking over during the season even if there will be early elections.

And I surely hope Font won't win. I don't like Laporta too much either but would prefer him over Font any day. Just can't take seriously a guy who talks about having a "sport project" when in reality he bets everything on Xavi being our saviour. But what will he do if Xavi fails which is not so unrealistic with the club entering a rebuild phase? Will he blindly stick with him even if we'll have 3-4 trophyless seasons (no coach in club's history has survived more than 2 trophyless seasons)? For me he's just a populist talking what people wants to hear but don't see him as someone who will actually change all that much. Hope to be wrong if he's elected but I think he mostly has support amongst internet fans and not really all that much between socios which is really important because they're the ones who vote.

Laporta would probably also want Xavi as a coach at some point but at the same time I expect him to keep Koeman for another season or two if he'll do a solid job this year despite him being Bartomeu's man.

Raketa10

I hope we'll sign him. Otherwise, we could make a "Braitwaite type signing" again, only this time for a CB position. That would be another unnecessary money wasting by Barto and co.

khaled_a_d

Is Garcia really that unathletic?

I see him as average athlete for a CB, but we need an athletic one for our game. Having 2 CBs with average speed/athletic ability will always cause troubles.

Don't see Xavi taking over during the season even if there will be early elections.

It isn't about that, it is about having chance to continue here for several years.
Font already put pressure on Koeman by keeping his Xavi card, regardless of whether it happens or not. Board also will most likely want to win trophies to make themselves looks a bit better.
So my point is this isn't really a rebuilding year, we will value trophies more than anything, for better or worse.
We will most likely be able to remain in league race till April at least. So expect a Lenglet-Pique partnership till that time.

xxxxxx

That is the problem, he isn't fast or athletic enough.
He neither provide the towering ability of Pique, nor the athletic one of Puyol/Mascherano.
If he isn't really elite talent, then he is next Lenglet, and I don't like having 2 Lenglet in the team

That's correct. City fans have said he's slow and often gets caught out. He's good at passing the ball and might suit La Liga. But I don't think they rate him too highly. Not surprising considering he can't even get his game in that City defense.

jairzinho

That's correct. City fans have said he's slow and often gets caught out. He's good at passing the ball and might suit La Liga. But I don't think they rate him too highly. Not surprising considering he can't even get his game in that City defense.

So basically using FIFA terminology, his speed and acceleration is slow but his interceptions and marking is high.

:pep:

mc_lovin

City fans are hurt... the shit he got for the Lyon game was hilarious when Laporte and co were so much worse.

Hes 19 and very composed. I would trust him more than someone like Todibo, who looks very raw. And I guess coaches appreciate predictable players as well. I have no idea how good Garcia will become, but after all we want him as 3rd or 4th choice CB. Nothing more, nothing less. At City they needed a starter. Thats why they were so harsh.

Sorin

That's why he was the best in that shambolic defence against Lyon? Laporte was looking like some Segunda B CB in that match. City fans were ready to die on the hill that he won't choose us over the splendid club they are and the awesome manager they have. Now that he rejected their offer to song another contract he is obviously not good enough and all that jazz.

Considering the dross that City had in that backline over the years I wouldn't expect them to know what a good CB is, so not really relevant what City fans think.

Is he good? Or just Catalan? When was the last time Barca signed a genuinely great central defender? You know, Virgil van Dijk level.

Home of Barca Fans