24 - Thomas Vermaelen

Hamzah

High Definition Member
how did you manage to draw up that conclusion. For me both right now, Bartra with his pre-season form and Verm with his general form, are equally bad. Maybe try him at LB where he wouldn't have to mark people. I dreaded everytime an attack came from the left wing with Adriano and Verm there, Atletic players might as well have walked into the box.

That's because the rest of the defence and midfield was crap. Put Vermaelen as a rotation for masch with the rest of the defence and midfield at 100%, and he will do well. But he is not good enough to play with other backups, that is a disaster.

Let's also give him a shot at left back but with alves, pique and masch still there and see how he does. You never know, he could be a decent backup lb.

kilian

how did you manage to draw up that conclusion. For me both right now, Bartra with his pre-season form and Verm with his general form, are equally bad. Maybe try him at LB where he wouldn't have to mark people. I dreaded everytime an attack came from the left wing with Adriano and Verm there, Atletic players might as well have walked into the box.

Without Alba and especially Neymar, our left flank is pure shit. Neymar`s presence on the left flank by itself somewhat limits the opposing rb to go forward all the time. And he tracks back quite a lot. Although Pedro does have a very high workrate, the opposition players don`t fear him like they do Neymar. Add subpar Adriano to the equation and you have yesterdays game.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
That's because the rest of the defence and midfield was crap. Put Vermaelen as a rotation for masch with the rest of the defence and midfield at 100%, and he will do well. But he is not good enough to play with other backups, that is a disaster.

Let's also give him a shot at left back but with alves, pique and masch still there and see how he does. You never know, he could be a decent backup lb.
I agree that he might be a decent LB but for me at least him at CB is a no go in any circumstance. Apart from the last liga game against deportivo, I am yet to see a game from Verm, in pre-season and all, where he has managed to maintain positional awareness and be aware of the attackers around him. From what I see as soon as 2 he sees an attack from more than 1 player coming his way, he looks to black out and start ball watching (well I'll give him that much that he is good in 1 v 1 cutting out passing lanes and all that).

F

Flavia

He played 1 match and he is not to blame in any of the goals. Dont understand such analysis.
I'm talking about his arsenal days, when he was supposedly a great cb. To me, he never was. Zubi should had brought someone better, that's all.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Like I've said before, I don't rate him and he's not been great positionally in the games he's played so far, BUT I'd still give him more games to prove himself. It's only fair.

barcanuck

Just can't have him and Bartra start together in meaningful games. Either Bartra with Mathieu/Masche/Pique or Verms with Pique/Masche/Mathieu.

God Serena

I feel like signing Vermaelen and Mathieu when we were desperately in need of a new CB with a transfer ban looming was all a big joke by the board and Zubi.

BBZ8800

If Alves and Adriano will be fit for fullback positions, what do people think, who will play as a Cb duo:
1. Masch-Bartra
2. or Masch-Vermaelen?

barcanuck

Well that was a gladiator like performance from the Veminator! Really proved his worth, tackles, air duels, passing, he did it all today. MOTM.

Home of Barca Fans