24 - Thomas Vermaelen

zanela

I know it's only one match. But if he continues in the same vein, does he keep his position even when Piqué returns, or he goes straight to the bench? :thinking:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I know it's only one match. But if he continues in the same vein, does he keep his position even when Piqué returns, or he goes straight to the bench? :thinking:

Straight to the bench. He got nothing on Pique who's by far been our best defender the last couple of years.

BBZ8800

Lucho has a pecking order.
1. Pique
2. Masch
3. Mathieu
4. Bartra
(In the last Season)

We didn't have Verm then, it is hard to guess where he fits on that list.
But since Lucho sticks to his pecking order and you can't earn your position too easily, so it will be:
1. Pique
2. Masch
3. Math
4. Verm
5. Bartra

Or:
1. Pique
2. Masch
3. Verm
4. Math
5. Bartra

Or:
1. Pique
2. Masch
3./4. Math/Verm
5. Bartra

I doubt that Verm will jump too soon into positions 1 and 2 in Lucho's system.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Bartra shouldn't be on the pecking order at all, get him on the next flight to Birmingham and then get him a taxi to stoke.

Stric

I was out all day, didn't know about the lineups, missed the game etc. You can imagine my surprise when I came back to find out we won and Vermaelen of all people was awarded MOTM. :lol: Happy to hear that. Looks like we've got another good CB to count on this season.

Alik

Like I've said before, I don't rate him and he's not been great positionally in the games he's played so far, BUT I'd still give him more games to prove himself. It's only fair.

That was a sensible post. And now after one match everyone loves him again :lol:

Hope he keeps it up.

Horatio

You're welcome

He did really well tonight and I don't think it was incidental. I think he can improve a lot as well but still doesn't hold a candle next to Pique. Aside from defending Pique is very good on the ball and is more involved with Barca's game.

Siberia

But the thing is, he's not competing with Pique. He's a left sided CB while Pique plays on the right. He's definitely better than bartra and mathieu. Better than Masche? could be, but he's definitely better in the air. a Pique Vermaelen CB duo sounds great.

zanela

But the thing is, he's not competing with Pique. He's a left sided CB while Pique plays on the right. He's definitely better than bartra and mathieu. Better than Masche? could be, but he's definitely better in the air. a Pique Vermaelen CB duo sounds great.

Piqué-Verm duo didn't look good in pre-season. Might be that they need more time together.

And I don't get this LCB/RCB demarcation. A good CB should be able to play on either sides. Or are we going all van haal about it? Masch plays both for instance..

The reason for my original post was that Lucho has shown to be unforgiving to errors, and the Piqué incident could be deemed immature on his part. Hence, I was wondering if Lucho might want to run with the working pair (if verm's consistent ofc), and rather Piqué earn his way back in to the side.

anguy

And I don't get this LCB/RCB demarcation. A good CB should be able to play on either sides. Or are we going all van haal about it? Masch plays both for instance..

Some can play on both sides, some can't (even the good ones). Mascherano is one of the most versatile players in todays football.Verm and Mathieu definitely can't play on RCB.

Home of Barca Fans