24 - Thomas Vermaelen

Let's put it this way..... If you knew that you were getting pre injury Arsenal captain Vermaelen, would you play him or Masche next to Pique? If he has fully recovered and can stay healthy then why couldn't he return to those days?

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He was dancing in front of him and Vermaelen was like:

a1ZR6dD_460sa_v1.gif

Not totally against trying it, though I think Lucho is. I just feel like it's unnecessary when everyone is healthy. Who would be the midfield 4? Would it look like this.....?
Busquets
Alves Alba
Iniesta
Or would it be a flat 4 across?

Unless you want to play without width you'd have to play without one of Rakitic, iniesta or Busquets just to fit Vermaelen into a back 3 of him, Pique and Masche.

Richard.H

Way too risky with how well La Liga teams counter attack nowadays. 3-4-3 should never even be considered. It's tactically a defensive suicide.

I didn't watch the match (had to drive to LA in the morning) but I'm very glad that Vermaelen did well. There will be plenty of matches for him to play. I see him having the same impact that Milito had for us. Very good CB that can be counted on when not injured.

Isn't it more defensive on counter attacks? Right now barca push up both fullbacks leaving just the cb's, busquets and sometimes rakitic or iniesta. So with 3 cb's always back, busquets and then sometimes Alves/Alba it seems more defensive. But like I said in my previous post, I don't think barca need to play more defensively. They're fine with the current setup

Richard.H

Isn't it more defensive on counter attacks? Right now barca push up both fullbacks leaving just the cb's, busquets and sometimes rakitic or iniesta. So with 3 cb's always back, busquets and then sometimes Alves/Alba it seems more defensive. But like I said in my previous post, I don't think barca need to play more defensively. They're fine with the current setup

You are risking the flanks with a back 3. Quick wingers would rather get past a CB than an RB/LB.

I think the overall quality of La Liga has improved so much over the last few years. I just don't see 3-4-3 being very effective now. Pep had to use it a lot in season 11-12 because a lot of defenders were injured plus Alves was in horrible form. Also, he had to figure out a way to fit in Cesc to the team. It wasn't solely a tactical decision.

Home of Barca Fans