24 - Thomas Vermaelen

BBZ8800

I think that Verminator will win people's hearts, the same as Bravo, over time.
Even though fans and our forum had different favorites.

You are risking the flanks with a back 3. Quick wingers would rather get past a CB than an RB/LB.
Not necessarily, if you play a 3-4-3 with 1 FB as the 4th man in midfield. So it's the same midfield as a 4-3-3 + 1 attacking FB who is always upfront; which defensively turns into a 4-3-3; except that you have Masch as RB instead of Alves. That's essentially Pep's formation: Abidal-Pique-Puyol + Alves as a quasi RW.

serghei

I like the fact that he passed a lot to Bravo. Not complicating things unnecessarily. The way Bilbao was playing, it was pretty clear that one goal would do it. There was no point in gambling too much at the back with risky passes, especially since our defence was not in it's best shape. The team showed a lot of character and inteliigence last night. If we win at the Calderon as well, I'd say it's a cracking start regardless of injuries. Or course, we need the points vs smaller teams as well, that goes without saying.

BBZ8800

Not necessarily, if you play a 3-4-3 with 1 FB as the 4th man in midfield. So it's the same midfield as a 4-3-3 + 1 attacking FB who is always upfront; which defensively turns into a 4-3-3; except that you have Masch as RB instead of Alves. That's essentially Pep's formation: Abidal-Pique-Puyol + Alves as a quasi RW.

Again, why changing the system and formation that brought as an insane streak of wins after 3 years of misery displays?

We lose much more with changing formations that with playing our standard formation with 1-2 players at the wrong positions (due to injuries).
Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

And it surely isn't broken.

Chong Li

I still can't believe Vermaelen actually played that well, won most of his headers and made some really nice tackles.

Hopefully he can keep this form until Pique returns.

F

Flavia

He was really good, I was surprised. I don't think he'll displace Masch, but with Bartra's current form, it's good to see him do well.

ATLBarcaFan

I thought he played a great game, great in the air and some well time tackles. Tired of listening to my Arsenal buddy brag about the Sanchez for Vermaelen "trade."

utility73

Really liked his performance yesterday. Especially his no nonsense approach. It seems he has no ego standing in the way of booting the ball when necessary.

raki

adil ‏@Barca19stats

Among Barça players vs ATH, Vermaelen had the most:
- Clearances 16
- Interception 4
- Aerials won 4
- Touches 106
- Passing accuracy 90.4%

Home of Barca Fans