4 - Ronald Araújo

Porque

Gavi has become the 3rd midfielder because Xavi has found his best 11. And too be honest, even though I prefer Gavi to Pedri and FdJ, you can't really be going with the first 11 midfield having a 17 year old and 19 year old long team.

I don't think his minutes dropped because of the renewal, just normal order resuming for a 17 year old and Pedri hitting his upper form, which could drop again any game.

Regarding renewal, I think he renews and that the papers (especially Sport) are printing clickbait stories to fill up their 20+ Barca news pages per day. Sure it is more difficult because of other interested clubs, and Gavi stock having risen quicker than anticipated. It is what it is.

Messi983

Besides, I told you my way, don't promote young stars for the world to see them until after you tie them on long contract.

And what if when you give them a 5 year contract and after a few months you realize they are not as good as you expected (or they turn injury prone) and they don't want to leave even on loan like Mavericky? You just keep them around for 5 years wasting money and roster spot on them? In my view youngsters must first prove themselves before you commit to them longterm.

Either way, in Gavi's case this is irrelevant as we couldn't sign him to more than a 3-year contract before he turns 18 even if we'd want.

feggydinho

Not shit deals, but sensible deals. If he had taken it slower with giving them so much exposure so soon, the club would have benefitted more and got them signed for 4-5 years for normal salaries for their age.

Now you get to a position where you have to overpay for your own "product". And overpaying by 1-2m per year is still better than losing them.

We couldn't take it slow cause they were needed. That's why it seems more like a symbiosis relationship (We actually needed Gavi and Araujo back then, and they delivered and are still delivering)

Porque

Or what if you don't promote then and they are in the B team getting big offers from City and the likes, while seemingly not getting a shot with the first team here. They will too jump ship.

There is no easy solution. You have to promote them if they are good enough and try to sign them up before the sharks come. And if not, be prepared to pay their true value.

Joan

What you have in mind is the best case scenario for the club but that's why these players hire agents who take care of their business.

Young talents are already monitored by other clubs who try to lure them with better offers and if you're trying to keep them in the stands or in lower leagues until they sign a low wage contract with a high clause the only thing you're going to see is them at the doors. They're already well protected with short term youth contracts.

Barca has been lucky with talents left since they failed to make an expected impact in most cases (Moriba, Morey, Simmons etc.) and were lucky with Araujo, Gavi, and Pedri.

Every football executive wants the same thing as you but it's rarely realistic and within reach.

ajnotkeith

Besides, I told you my way, don't promote young stars for the world to see them until after you tie them on long contract. We made Gavi a young star. A year ago nobody knew who he is. And now he's exploiting it against us.

He started to play in the first 11, he started to get praised everywhere, played for Spain's senior team in the Final 4 of Nations League, and now we're surprised he has realized he has leverage since other clubs rate him and consider him a huge talent.

Wouldn't be surprised if the more reduced number of minutes Gavi gets these days (he's basically a sub now) is related to us not wanting to spike his valuation even more, and give him even more leverage in negotiations.

Gavi has reduced minutes because the team has been better with Pedri/FDJ in.

That's ok, those are two amazing midfielders. But he's not vital at the moment.

Messi983

Barca has been lucky with talents left since they failed to make an expected impact in most cases (Moriba, Morey, Simmons etc.) and were lucky with Araujo, Gavi, and Pedri.

Every football executive wants the same thing as you but it's rarely realistic and within reach.

Not just lucky imo, we were good at evaluating our talents. For all complaints people (especially La Masia cultists/twitterverse) have every time a 16-17 yo kid who they rate leave we've managed to keep all the best homegrown talents at the club over the last 15-20 years. Starting with Xaviesta and Messi and the last example being Fati. That's why I don't think we'll let Gavi leave either.

Another thing is players coming through La Masia are used to play only our way and besides 99% of them not being good enough to make it at top level elsewhere most also struggle to adapt to different systems unless they leave very early and are given regular minutes like Cesc at Arsenal. He was clearly La Masia product who made the best career at another club before we brought him back. After him it's probably Icardi and then Alba who was a starter at Emery's Valencia who were third best team in Spain back then but light years behind Pep's Barca and Mou's Madrid.

Last edited:

Porque

Not just lucky imo, we were good at evaluating our talents. For all complaints people (especially La Masia cultists/twitterverse) have every time a 16-17 yo kid who they rate leave we've managed to keep all the best homegrown talents at the club over the last 15-20 years. Starting with Xaviesta and Messi and the last example being Fati. That's why I don't think we'll let Gavi leave either.

Another thing is players coming through La Masia are used to play only our way and besides 99% of them not being good enough to make it at top level elsewhere most also struggle to adapt to different systems unless they leave very early and are given regular minutes like Cesc at Arsenal. He was clearly La Masia product who made the best career at another club before we brought him back. After him it's probably Icardi and then Alba who was a starter at Emery's Valencia who were third best team in Spain back then but light years behind Pep's Barca and Mou's Madrid.

If you would ask Arsene Wenger he would say that Arsenal had signed Messi but the UK failed to grant his work permit.

What an incredible alterverse that would have been if Messi signed for Arsenal. He would have probably reached the level of Michele Di Piedi.

Andresito

Staff member
If you would ask Arsene Wenger he would say that Arsenal had signed Messi but the UK failed to grant his work permit.

What an incredible alterverse that would have been if Messi signed for Arsenal. He would have probably reached the level of Michele Di Piedi.

No way. More like Stephane Guivarc'h.

serghei

Another thing is players coming through La Masia are used to play only our way and besides 99% of them not being good enough to make it at top level elsewhere most also struggle to adapt to different systems unless they leave very early and are given regular minutes like Cesc at Arsenal.

The problem is our way is now basically being imported at every single top Premier League team. After Bayern tried to import it as well by getting Pep, and after Pep, a Pep fanboy in Naggelsman.

The whole football is trying to copy Barcelona more or less since Pep's Barca, and by getting the right manager and the right players, they can. Just wait until United brings yet another Guardiola disciple in England by hiring Ten Hag.

EPL top 5 would be Pep, German Pep, Pep fanboy, Pep Assistant no1, Pep Assistant no2.

Teams are starting to understand that in football the one that dominates midfield and can press upfront wins games. The times when you take a Barca player and he won't fit in because you play dumb kick and run and park the bus football is gone. Even United is catching up.

When you have an asshole like Pep going everywhere and teaching everyone our philosophy, that's what happens. He's like a missionary of some sort.

Gavi will fit nearly everywhere but PSG and United.

Last edited:

Vladinho

I hope Gavi will be next. Dembele's agent still has too high demands. Shame if he won't lower them, but from these 3 (Araujo, Gavi and Dembele) if we remain with the first two, I think it's a W

xXKonan

FPlvL5qWUAIbx-1

All these journalists are waiting outside the Restaurant Alemany and Araujo's agent are at. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans