5 - Carles Puyol

Der Kaiser

time for our young CB´s to step up and battle for the spot next to pique in the future.

I would really like to see more from fontas!

Richard.H

Honest truth, he's better than nothing <_<. However, when he plays, it's as if he already has a red card which means he's pretty much not on the field.

Stupid idiot cost us the loss vs Real Madrid in 2007 and against Liverpool in the 2007 CL...

I hope Fontas gets some starts now that Puyol is injured. I want to see how talented Fontas is for first team because he's very impressive for the B team. He also has the physical power that could match Pique's. This is a time for the youngsters to step up.

Pepe Silvia

^perhaps but let's not assume all youngsters are ready for first team (see Bojan). Pep has to be careful with promotions but I see the sense of urgency. If we had kept Chyg and trained him better from the bench maybe we wouldn't be having this problem. According to Meta he was never to be used immediately as a starter given his status in Russia league (?) and differing styles of play, learning curve etc. I know Abidal is lookiing a LITTLE sharper in CB but still he got caught slipping yesterday and against formidable oppon he will get exposed in that position. I hope Milito extends after this season tbh. I know he is older but he has always impressed me. One bad game won't cause me to go against him. He needs minutes too to get back to his best with conditioning.

alex 10

As advanced in your web MD , Carles Puyol suffered a tendon problem in his left knee that make him more serious doubt for the upcoming matches. . Yesterday he made a series of tests and, after a summit between medical doctors and Dr. Barca Cugat confirmed that suffers from the vastus lateralis tendinitis in his left knee.
which confirms that the fixtures will be low so as not to worsen their discomfort.

everything indicates he will miss the match against Almeria Cup semi-final and the league before the Hercules on Saturday. The evolution of his condition will mark his return to the playing fields in the following matches

Pepe Silvia

He will be more critical in our late CL matches. TBH I think we will manage okay without him during league and copa. That is a bold statement I know, but given Pique and our players ability to step up when called upon (minus BOjan of course), I think I am not out of line to say that. Rest up Carles see you in a month or so.

Xavi_78

Bad situation. I mean Abi is phantastic as a CB lately, but we need him as a LB. I do not trust Maxwell in the important games. His lack of pace and sometimes erratic positional sense/ decision making did us cost dearly against Arsenal last year and even more against Inter in the first leg.

Pepe Silvia

Maxwell is far from slow so I don't know what you mean about lack of pace. He can keep up with pacy wingers for sure. He isn't brilliant at defense but he is competent at the least and pretty darn good at best. I'm confident with Maxi up there to cover for us on back.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
So will Puyol miss Arsenal? That would suck indeed, I mean, Maxwell vs. Walcott could be a mismatch for us.

Home of Barca Fans