7 - Ferran Torres

serghei

Going to Juventus under Allegri was a bad decision for Vlahovic. Has to feed off scraps.

Yeah, but to be honest, movement and work-rate don't look like his strongest points from what I've seen. He kind of fits Italian football. He's a truly gifted finisher that just waits for his chance and puts it in when it comes. Doesn't do a lot of extras.

Birdy

I'm shocked Tosser's conversion rate's 60%, from all the sitters he's missed would've thought closer to 40%.

Well, there is an even more nuanced reading:

Given that no sitter is worth 1 xG or even above 0.8, but is usually above 0.4 xG (A pen is around 0.75 xG), we can reformulate.
If Ferran has 60% conversion rate with reference to xG of 1(which never happens in real football),
then he has 45% conversion rate with reference to an xG of 0.75 (what a pen has, and is much more than a sitter in real football)

and if we want to make it even more realistic:
he has 30% conversion rate with reference to an xG of 0.5 (A proto-typical SITTER in real football is worth just that)

So, your hunch might be correct:
he puts in roughly 3 out of 10 real-football sitters he gets each game

Same re-formulation would have Vlahovic at around 70% conversion rate (much more realistic) with reference to xG of 0.5
which means he puts in 7 out of 10 sitters he gets

delancey

Is this supposed to show that Ferran is OK?

The real numbers (21-22 season):
Ferran] 0.31 non-penalty goals/90 min while having 0.51 non-pen xG/90 min
Conversion rate = 60%
Underperforming his xG by 40%

Vlahovic 0.58 non-penalty goals/90 min while having 0.1 non-pen xG/90 min
Conversion rate = 140%
Overperforming his xG by 40%

So, no they don't have comparable numbers at all

It highlights how well each player has performed (goals and assists) since moving to a new club in the winter transfer market. Make of it whatever you will!

MTL_Barca

Well considering how many big chances he has missed already you'd almost expected him to have like 1 goal :lol: Stats aren't bad so far, but needs to score these chances more consistently considering what type of forward role he plays.

JamDav1982

On a lone island here maybe but still think he will be a good signing if played in way suits him.

Needs to improve his finishing though but think that will come.

Diaz is largely irrelevant as never signing him and had near enough no option to and even then he can be worth 200m and if Torres proves to be a good signing it is not relevant.

Neeraj

Back to the Greizman argument again. Gone are the days of us playing a floating inside LM/RM. It's clear we want to play wide with traditional wingers who can DRIBBLE and basically do winger stuff. We are never going to play in a way that 'suits' him and wishing for us to do so is both unrealistic besides the fact that Xavi shouldn't be looking to change how we play to fit this guy.

He is looking like another failed signing to me so far, and EVEN if he improves his finishing a bit (unlikely he's going to become a top class finisher) he's still useless on the wings as he has no pace and can't beat anyone for shit.

JamDav1982

Nah it is not difficult to play in way that suits him.

Full backs that can take width and let him get central and closer to striker.

If they want wingers to stay wide then error was signing him and terrible tactical set up.

Xavi absolutely should be looking to change way team play as set up recently been absolutly horrendous and in a way no other team plays.

Joan

Torres was demanded by Xavi. It will be a failure of Xavi's planning if he can't set the team up the way it suits his major players.

mc_lovin

Thought as much myself since Alemany knows him from Valencia but apparently it was all Xavi.

Xavi shows tremendous faith in him too as he's probably among the first names on the list.

Is there any source for this? Pretty sure Alemany went to City for Sterling and then pulled out Ferran. At least that were the news/rumours back then. For Xavi it was him or noone I suppose, which he obviously takes.

Still think Ferran was a good choice though.

JamDav1982

No Xavi chose Torres and spoke with him to convince him.

There was nothing about Alemany chosing Torres.

Xavi has had the last word on virtually every transfer decision.

Barca were linked to Sterling before Xavi arrived then switched to Torres not long after he arrived. Not a coincidence.

Joan

Is there any source for this? Pretty sure Alemany went to City for Sterling and then pulled out Ferran. At least that were the news/rumours back then. For Xavi it was him or noone I suppose, which he obviously takes.

Still think Ferran was a good choice though.

I'll just post a few random links:

https://*******************/sport/football/16869153/barcelona-xavi-torres-transfer-man-city/

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/razones-xavi-pidio-fichaje-ferran-torres-20211126.html

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20211225/1001729505/claves-fichaje-ferran-torres.html

There's been plenty more. It's true we were into Torres before Xavi joined and we tried to get him on loan in the summer but ended up rejected. Alemany and the club were trying for Sterling before Xavi joined and then had a change of heart.

Doesn't seem as clear as I thought though.

Edit: I agree with the bold, I liked Ferran before he came and think he'll be a great addition for us down the line.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans