7 - Ferran Torres

Windhook

Great news! I'm very happy wе finally sign a quality striker who's the future of Spain NT attack. Also getting him early in January is plus, not like some late transfer window sagas.

Gnidrologist

Yeah, i'm overly positive too. This is not nonsensical transfer even, if still a bit steep for our condition. Think Xavi had good eye on this one.

gregorrin10

Also very important to note that this is the first transfer in years, where it's actually the manager's wish (I don't count Koeman and Depay, as he was a market opportunity anyway). For that reason alone, I don't not like this transfer, I'm even a bit excited by it. And I trust Xavi already has a plan on exactly how and where to use him, otherwise he wouldn't have pushed so hard in the first place, especially in our current financial state, where a 50M+ transfer like this is considered a major investment. Not to mention we are sorely lacking real quality (depth) in our attack anyway, so he'll come in handy in any case.

If you'd go over this thread these past few days though, you'd think we're signing a 33 year old Brazllian finished player and over paying him for 30-40M. This forum is so toxic. :lol: People getting worked up over that 10M over payment like crazy. If the deal was 40-45M then it would be all peachy? People only looking at his raw stats and deciding that 55M (yes right now it's 55, not 65, if it's gonna rise to 65, he'll be worth it anyway!) is too much.

You're not just paying for the player's current quality, many other good factors about him, he's Spanish, future of the NT, we've always done well going this route, combining La Masia with the best Spanish players and a few world class foreigners, especially on positions La Masia doesn't produce. Plus he's also versatile, not to mention his great chemistry and understanding with Fati, who is our main man up front right now and especially for the future. If all goes well, Ferran can (together with Pedri, Fati, Gavi and Araujo) become one of the corner stones of Xavi's Barca for years to come. And if that happens, and in that case we do end up spending 65M on him, it will be considered a bargain down the line, considering many 100M+ transfers which didn't work out in the last few years, Felix for Atletico being the prime example. Not to mention blunders like Higuain to Juve for 91M, and so on...

Windhook

Also very important to note that this is the first transfer in years, where it's actually the manager's wish (I don't count Koeman and Depay, as he was a market opportunity anyway). For that reason alone, I don't not like this transfer, I'm even a bit excited by it. And I trust Xavi already has a plan on exactly how and where to use him, otherwise he wouldn't have pushed so hard in the first place, especially in our current financial state, where a 50M+ transfer like this is considered a major investment. Not to mention we are sorely lacking real quality (depth) in our attack anyway, so he'll come in handy in any case.

If you'd go over this thread these past few days though, you'd think we're signing a 33 year old Brazllian finished player and over paying him for 30-40M. This forum is so toxic. :lol: People getting worked up over that 10M over payment like crazy. If the deal was 40-45M then it would be all peachy? People only looking at his raw stats and deciding that 55M (yes right now it's 55, not 65, if it's gonna rise to 65, he'll be worth it anyway!) is too much.

You're not just paying for the player's current quality, many other good factors about him, he's Spanish, future of the NT, we've always done well going this route, combining La Masia with the best Spanish players and a few world class foreigners, especially on positions La Masia doesn't produce. Plus he's also versatile, not to mention his great chemistry and understanding with Fati, who is our main man up front right now and especially for the future. If all goes well, Ferran can (together with Pedri, Fati, Gavi and Araujo) become one of the corner stones of Xavi's Barca for years to come. And if that happens, and in that case we do end up spending 65M on him, it will be considered a bargain down the line, considering many 100M+ transfers which didn't work out in the last few years, Felix for Atletico being the prime example. Not to mention blunders like Higuain to Juve for 91M, and so on...

Great analysis! The fact we got him before he started converting again, skyrocketing his price, looks definitely like a bargain. Hope his injury will not affect his abilities in the long term, but I believe our sporting department had definitely looked into the matter before approaching any negotiations. We are not in a position to afford another dead horse on the team.

behindbrowneyes

Now that his transfer is very likely to happen, where do you guys see him?

From what I've seen from him which is not a lot tbf, he is way more suited to play as a #9 than on the wing. At least he is not the type of player who is beating the fullback on the wing a lot. On his wingplay I'd compare him with Pedro R. Good finisher with clever movement and runs.

Rory

Difficult situation though because we can’t allow our quality to drop to a point where we don’t get in the champions league, that would be tens of millions lost. Also lowers club status, attraction for better players, fan interest, tickets, merchandise. If we don’t qualify for the ucl this year we probably lose 50m of next years revenue.

Therefore a 10m a year + wages purchase that can potentially push us to get top 4 is good business.

Windhook

From what I've seen from him which is not a lot tbf, he is way more suited to play as a #9 than on the wing. At least he is not the type of player who is beating the fullback on the wing a lot. On his wingplay I'd compare him with Pedro R. Good finisher with clever movement and runs.

Versatile. Pep uses him mostly as CF, meanwhile Lucho applies him on both RW and LW in the presence of Morata in the lineup.

khaled_a_d

Short term he is our 9, taking Depay spot immediately. Depay will take the position of whoever get injured/suspended/rested of Fati/Ferran/Dembele
But long term is another question, depending on Fati and Dembele health and how good he proves himself.
Either remain as 9, or became that 4th option that get huge chunck of minutes.
But him and Fati as starters on the wings is awful idea, takes all the width and speed from our attack.

Windhook

Short term he is our 9, taking Depay spot immediately. Depay will take the position of whoever get injured/suspended/rested of Fati/Ferran/Dembele
But long term is another question, depending on Fati and Dembele health and how good he proves himself.
Either remain as 9, or became that 4th option that get huge chunck of minutes.
But him and Fati as starters on the wings is awful idea, takes all the width and speed from our attack.

Somehow I don't see Fati playing wide winger, he needs to be inside the box to convert those chances. If Xavi trusts Depay our trident, I imagine, would look something like this:

LW - Depay/Ferran
CF - Fati
RW - Ferran/Dembele

Last edited:

Sailor Mars

Looking at it strictly short term just for this season, Barca is only 3 points from getting into the top 4 and I feel that the frontline has been the most glaring weakness this season. He should give enough firepower to pull the team into the top 4.

Mateka

Pep Guardiola

I want the happiness of my players. If we had just two or three attacking players then maybe Ferran would think he had more chance to play and stay longer.

“But always I have the feeling that when Barcelona or Real Madrid knock on the door of players then it is difficult to say no.

“They are still the strongest teams in the world in terms of fashion, cities and many reasons. He is from Spain, Barcelona knock and I understand why he wants to leave.

I cannot convince the players to do something when their mind isn’t here. It makes no sense. Other clubs make them stay, I don’t agree with that.”
Independent

Home of Barca Fans