7 - Ferran Torres

Mateka

How long for Ferran to become match fit?

As a City fan I do not want to overpay for anybody . Neither do City.

It will be interesting to see how Ferran s career develops. He was on an upward curve at City.

Some comments on here endeavour to highlight weaknesses in his play.

I have not noticed one observation. This is not a criticism it is a comment. One that can be applied to many other players but for me is the one he has to work on.

He can go missing in games.

I wish him well.

Birdy

No, can't register him before next Monday when transfer/registration window in Spain officially opens. Could potentially make his debut in Copa in midweek (January 5) or against Granada (January 8).

You keep bringing this up without looking deeper. In his first season at Valencia (18/19) he was mostly coming off the bench as a 18 yo kid in a solid side that finished top 4 in the league. Marcelino played likes of Rodrigo, Santi Mina and Gameiro as strikers while Ferran was more of a RM in his standard 4-4-2 double 6 formation so not that close to the goal.

Next year Marcelino was fired early in the season due to disagreements with Valencia board and was replaced with Albert Celades who is not a good manager. So unsurprisingly they've struggled for most of the season. Their top scorers Parejo (mostly from penalties) and Maxi Gomez have scored 10 goals so hard to stand out in a team that has problems to score. More so, after corona break Ferran's role was diminished when he rejected to renew and Valencia already decided to sell with a year left on his contract.

In his first season at City he scored 13 goals in all competitions, including 4 in the CL. Pretty good stats considering it was his first season in a new league and Pep playing without a clear #9 rotating his midfielders and forwards around a lot so they ended up with 7 players in double digit goals and Gundogan leading the team with 17 total goals. And we clearly can't say much about current season when he has been out injured for the last two months.

I think his numbers will improve if playing regularly. Xavi wants to play similar system to Pep so he should fit in fast, he also knows players like Pedri, Gavi and Eric. OTOH of course there will be bigger pressure on him to score more as we won't have another 5-6 players capable to score 10+ goals like City does.

Don't see him becoming a 30-40 goals scorer but he should get around 20 goals (and depending if we get a top striker alongside him he could also add around 10 assists) every season imo. Also not sure if he should be a false 9 longterm and considering we're linked to likes of Haaland and Vlahović that's probably also not our plan but for second part of this season with lack of better options he is the best fit for that role alongside Ansu if/when he'll return. Ferran's ability to play as a false 9 clearly adds to the team's versatility and unpredictability though and he could also play there if whichever striker we'll bring wouldn't be available.

This is probably one of the reasons why Xavi prefered him over more pure wingers like Raphinha or Antony. Another reason which was already mentioned is his adaptation should be much easier which is even more important when signed in January so he won't have a luxury to have a month of preseason to gel with the team. When fully fit to play I think he can make immediate positive impact but hopefully people won't expect too much from him too soon (who I'm kidding people will have patience though, lol).

I think Xavi has already seen, and the world will clearly see, how much better he is as a striker. (not a false 9, he does not drop back as a false 9)
As a striker he has WC potential, whereas as a winger he is just decent and IMO can never become as dangerous as Dembele for instance.

Hear this from the mouth of the best coach in the world:

BarcaUniversal
?
6h
Pep Guardiola four months ago: "Ferran was already exceptional last season, but now we discovered a new role for him. As a striker, his movement is up there with the best. He is a top player with incredible finishing. We're so happy with his work and his tactical understanding."

PS: On a sidenote,
I am happy that the future backbone of the Spanish NT will be all Barca: Eric, Pedri, Gavi, Nico, Ansu, Ferran

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

Given their name and their individual record transfer sums at a similar price: Which Torres will have had the better career in the end? Fernando or Ferran?

Mateka

You really fall that easy for that political talk from a coach ? ..

This probably had something to do with Pep opinion of him:

Torres has now broken a record previously held by Lionel Messi, becoming the youngest player to score a hat-trick under Guardiola.

He also scored in 3 back to back CL games for City. The youngest Spanish player ever to do so.

Last edited:

akaranzo

No, can't register him before next Monday when transfer/registration window in Spain officially opens. Could potentially make his debut in Copa in midweek (January 5) or against Granada (January 8).

You keep bringing this up without looking deeper. In his first season at Valencia (18/19) he was mostly coming off the bench as a 18 yo kid in a solid side that finished top 4 in the league. Marcelino played likes of Rodrigo, Santi Mina and Gameiro as strikers while Ferran was more of a RM in his standard 4-4-2 double 6 formation so not that close to the goal.

Next year Marcelino was fired early in the season due to disagreements with Valencia board and was replaced with Albert Celades who is not a good manager. So unsurprisingly they've struggled for most of the season. Their top scorers Parejo (mostly from penalties) and Maxi Gomez have scored 10 goals so hard to stand out in a team that has problems to score. More so, after corona break Ferran's role was diminished when he rejected to renew and Valencia already decided to sell with a year left on his contract.

In his first season at City he scored 13 goals in all competitions, including 4 in the CL. Pretty good stats considering it was his first season in a new league and Pep playing without a clear #9 rotating his midfielders and forwards around a lot so they ended up with 7 players in double digit goals and Gundogan leading the team with 17 total goals. And we clearly can't say much about current season when he has been out injured for the last two months.

I think his numbers will improve if playing regularly. Xavi wants to play similar system to Pep so he should fit in fast, he also knows players like Pedri, Gavi and Eric. OTOH of course there will be bigger pressure on him to score more as we won't have another 5-6 players capable to score 10+ goals like City does.

Don't see him becoming a 30-40 goals scorer but he should get around 20 goals (and depending if we get a top striker alongside him he could also add around 10 assists) every season imo. Also not sure if he should be a false 9 longterm and considering we're linked to likes of Haaland and Vlahović that's probably also not our plan but for second part of this season with lack of better options he is the best fit for that role alongside Ansu if/when he'll return. Ferran's ability to play as a false 9 clearly adds to the team's versatility and unpredictability though and he could also play there if whichever striker we'll bring wouldn't be available.

This is probably one of the reasons why Xavi prefered him over more pure wingers like Raphinha or Antony. Another reason which was already mentioned is his adaptation should be much easier which is even more important when signed in January so he won't have a luxury to have a month of preseason to gel with the team. When fully fit to play I think he can make immediate positive impact but hopefully people won't expect too much from him too soon (who I'm kidding people will have patience though, lol).

Fantastic reply and explanation, now watch the guy you replied to say nothing about this and then come back with his exact same old arguments in a day or two :lol:

behindbrowneyes

Other than league titles, Fernando will be tough to beat tbh.

Fernando has won everything with Spain and in 2013 he was current World champion, current European champion, current CL winner and current EL winner all at once, that's indeed hard to beat.

Still find it an interesting question. Fernando scored 38 goals in 110 appearances for Spain, Ferran has already 12 goals in 22 appearances. Spain is definitely building something new with Lucho and has a very talented side coming up. Title hopes aren't too far-fetched in the nearer future and Barca as well might represent the core of Spain's starting eleven like they did when they've won everything. Not gonna say this generation will approximately be as successful, but they'll have a shot at winning future tournaments imo.

MTL_Barca

Debating over 10M more or less is pretty pointless, let's just wait how he does. Unless you find a great opportunity (like City did when they signed Ferran) you can't really get talented young attackers for peanuts anywhere so i don't think the fee is that crazy.

We can't afford more flops, but this would be true as well if the fee was just 40M or something. It's not even just about money now, what matters the most is finally landing some successful transfers at all. I can't even remember the last 1st team transfer that was seen as fully successful...kinda Frenkie i guess, Pedri if you count him and before that idk Suarez/Rakitic 7 years ago? :lol: Everyone else is either gone again already or sucks.

Last edited:

Windhook

Rewatching some of his goals for City and Spain NT... the kid has the instinct for goal like Cristiano Ronaldo. For me he's definitely a no.9

Just finished watching Spain - Germany (6-0) highlights, what a performance.

Porque

Fernando didnt have a long enough peak. After his injury he was never the same player.

Incredibly frustrating and shouldnt have been starter even in 2010 for Spain, for example.

I'm cautious with Ferran, and admittedly a little worried because his portfolio as ST is extremely limited.

Its the type of deal we have to look for though. A high potential option with top flight club/international and LaLiga experience that wants out and wants to join us. Payment terms are favourable and wages reportedly dont hurt the cap.

If he hits it off then we hit gold. Its one of those players on the cusp kind of deals like Etoo imo.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans