7 - Ferran Torres

SmilerBam

The marketing aspect of Haaland is overrated, no? He's certainly a statement signing, but that's it. He's not exactly an idol, but maybe I am out of touch with the youth :S

Anyway, I am not fanatically opposed to him, after all we still need a CF. We will see how the rest of the season evolves... after that we should have more of a clue about what should happen.

They are Generation Z idols. Then again, the standards in society have declined massively, including music and sport.

serghei

Messi and Ronaldo in their prime were 10 times better than Haaland and Mbappe. Thy are no slouch either, but nowhere near the demigods of football, ability wise.

Agree. It's not like if we don't sign a galactico we will lose all hope of forming a top team. Who knows, maybe Ferran proves to be the best as a mobile, Firmino/Jota type of center forward. And we'll be shopping for a winger instead.

fergus90

Messi and Ronaldo in their prime were 10 times better than Haaland and Mbappe. Thy are no slouch either, but nowhere near the demigods of football, ability wise.

Definitely not and that will most likely never be matched, but in 3-4 years time Messi and Ronaldo won't be selling shirts anymore and the next generation of youth will need new idols.

Not that I think it's everything, but I'd argue this is the first time in at least two generations Barca currently has no star.

Messi, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Romario, Stoichkov, Laudrup, Schuster, Maradona, all the way back to Cruyff.

Last edited:

SmilerBam

Definitely not and that will most likely never be matched, but in 3-4 years time Messi and Ronaldo won't be selling shirts anymore and the next generation of youth will need new idols.

Sure, every generation needs idols. I m really glad my generation had those two monsters and other great footballers. Even the one before had great players in every position. But this upcoming generation strike me as the most unimpressive ability wise since i watch football.

Last edited:

SmilerBam

Agree. It's not like if we don't sign a galactico we will lose all hope of forming a top team. Who knows, maybe Ferran proves to be the best as a mobile, Firmino/Jota type of center forward. And we'll be shopping for a winger instead.
Yes, but that winger has to be very good. Jota is not the best player at Liverpool,Salah is. We do need a superstar. Or someone that can become one.

fergus90

Sure, every generation needs idols. I m really glad my generation had those two monsters and other great footballers. Even the one before had great players in every position. But this upcoming generation strike as the most unimpressive ability wise since i watch football.

Me too, we've been spoilt and those two especially normalised the extraordinary.

Mateka

The best players I have seen:
1 Pele
2 Diego Maradona
3 Lionel Messi
4 Cristiano Ronaldo
5 Johan Cruyff

I do not see world class standard of players today who could get in my top five.

serghei

Yes, but that winger has to be very good. Jota is not the best player at Liverpool,Salah is. We do need a superstar. Or someone that can become one.

Yeah, I agree. You need a top-class winger who consistently beats his man like Salah does, him and Mbappe are probably the best in the world at the moment simply because nobody can stop them 1 vs 1.

Messi983

Not that I think it's everything, but I'd argue this is the first time in at least two generations Barca currently has no star.

:rolleyes:

E5bsSozVgAAQJBk

akaranzo

Still no reply to this? Onto the next topic, when you've got no counter, eh? TROLL!

He never will, he's a genuine bot. That post defeated every dumbass argument programmed into his little processor so he's just going to pretend that exchange never happened and move on to spewing more bullshit.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well what ifs don't count in history, Turkey dominated the first game against Norway in front of no crowd game somewhere in Spain as far as I remember. Haaland was the sole reason I followed the game as he was on Barca shortlist.

That was one of Solbakken's first games as our manager and one of those games where everything and everyone looked disjointed trying to figure out how to play in his system. If you've watched his games after that you'd have seen him carrying our team.

I even criticized Haaland and his lack of impact those first 2-3 games on here, but after that he's been on fire for us.

SmilerBam

The best players I have seen:
1 Pele
2 Diego Maradona
3 Lionel Messi
4 Cristiano Ronaldo
5 Johan Cruyff

I do not see world class standard of players today who could get in my top five.
I would argue that Mbappe and Haaland at their peak will not be better than someone like Luis Suarez at his peak. Both of them have less ability overall comparing to him. And Suarez was not close to Messi and Ronaldo( except 2 seasons). So yeah, both of them are far away from legend status. But the hype machine and social media shit will praise them like that, so get ready for the monkey dance. I really hope we would be able to see again a player like Messi again, but i am afraid this physical and strenght frenzy will eradicate these little magicians out of football.

Mateka

What we see less of today is the dribbler. We have the speed merchants who can run past players, but where are the dribblers?

Home of Barca Fans