7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Jombi

Coutinho isn't even the same type of player as Xavi, so why would he be a Xavi replacement? He plays much more of an attacking role.

Attacking role at a former club means nothing at Barca. Rakitic played a more attacking role before being a replacement for Xavi. So did Deco before being a replacement for Davids. So did Yaya before being a DM for us.

No one knows what our board thinks Coutinho's potential role is, or if we are even seriously interested in him.

I think we can all agree that a guy like Coutinho is simply not good enough for us, he is nowhere near the level of Cesc who wasnt good enough for us either.

Granit Xhaka is far more suited for us and is definitely the best option as a replacement for Xavi. Iniesta and Rakitic aint going anywhere next season, they will play a lot, so people who somehow believe a replacement for Xavi isnt what we are looking for are seriously deluded.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

I think we can all agree that a guy like Coutinho is simply not good enough for us

No, don't speak for all of us. I don't want Barca to sign him, but it has nothing to do with him not being good enough.

And yes, I know we can and have molded players into different positions and roles, but I think if Coutinho were to be molded into any Barca player's role it would be much closer to Iniesta's than Xavi's.

Jombi

Granit Xhaka is an absolutely fantastic player. Tough as nails, superb passing, strong as a bull, fantastic ability to dictate and control play. He totally bossed Sevilla and had Kevin De Bruyne in his pocket against Wolfsburg. If we can get him for 30m, he would be an absolute steal, although considering his immense quality I think we would have to see off tough competition for his signature from the big clubs in Europe.

Jombi

I agree that Gundogan is a priority. But why are we considering Coutinho and Gundogan for the same position. One is an AM, the other a CM.

No one knows what our board is considering, but everyone knows that we have a long history of giving different roles to players we sign than they had before, so why do you ask this?

EdmondDantes

Xhaka would be more than welcome here at Barca, as a paying customer in the stands of course. He and Coutinho are nothing alike so I don't get why he has even been brought up in the thread. Xhaka is more like United's Herrera but not as good. You can't compare him to Gundogan either as Gundo too is a far superior player.

Jombi

Xhaka would be more than welcome here at Barca, as a paying customer in the stands of course. He and Coutinho are nothing alike so I don't get why he has even been brought up in the thread. Xhaka is more like United's Herrera but not as good. You can't compare him to Gundogan either as Gundo too is a far superior player.

If you havent noticed, we play a guy like Rakitic as CM, a player perfectly capable to play with Xavi as well as they have done many times. In other words, a replacement for Xavi still means Rakitic plays. And then there's Iniesta.

Its blatantly obvious that the midfielder we are seeking is a Xavi replacement as Xavi will highly likely leave this summer. And Rakitic and Iniesta aint going anywhere. Leave aside that Coutinho only looks decent in the EPL where he gets tons of space, we wont bench both Rakitic and Iniesta for Coutinho.

I'd say Xhaka is at about the level of Herrera already, but 3 years younger than him, so much more room to grow further, unlike Herrera. Gundo was absolutely atrocious against both Juve and Bayern in the league earlier this spring. He simply isnt that good anymore, its time to forget about him.

Last edited:

King5Puyi

"He has had a fantastic season," Ronaldinho told The Daily Mail. "He has been one of the best midfield players in Europe. When you realise that he has been playing in a team that has not been performing well, that is an even bigger achievement.

"I can't speak for him and I can't speak for Barcelona, but I know what they look for in a player and he has all those qualities.

"After all those years at the club, Xavi has left and Iniesta is now in his 30's - they will need to address that. That is why I think Barcelona and Coutinho would be the perfect fit.

"Playing with great players makes you better, I know that. Not only would he win trophies with Barca, but playing with Neymar, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Iniesta is going to make him a better player."

Our God has chosen 'The One'.

Home of Barca Fans