7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

JamDav1982

There was no single hint about Barca going for Coutinho before Ney's departure. Barca was screwing around with unrealistic targets such as Veratti and wasn't planning to spend 160M. Ney's departure was a wake up punch to Barto-s face .

Coutinho had been linked before Ney left.

mssarm

Coutinho had been linked before Ney left.

There are rumors with every WC class player out there. Would Barca break the bank with Coutinho when we had Ney on payroll is whole another question. Anyway the point I was trying to make: we have more balanced squad now than with Ney. Nothing against Ney- he is a fantastic player

JamDav1982

There are rumors with every WC class player out there. Would Barca break the bank with Coutinho when we had Ney on payroll is whole another question. Anyway the point I was trying to make: we have more balanced squad now than with Ney. Nothing against Ney- he is a fantastic player

Coutinho was one of the most linked players in first half of the year.

Think it is quite possible they would have moved for Coutinho last summer or next if Ney was there it was heading that way.

Agree though squad is getting better and no one needs to pine for Neymar.

jamrock

"To what extent can you blame Phil? He acted like an idiot in the summer, despite playing well since then, and that is difficult to accept. However, he's been here a while and won nothing. The better players, like Phil, have often had to make up for the weaker ones and naturally that is frustrating for a player. The club is to blame for that, largely. Ultimately, he has been excellent this year and probably deserves to be at a massive club where he's going to be winning trophies every year and playing with other amazing players. On the plus side, he might be the last player to leave the club with the promises of Rodgers in his ear, the last Pre-Klopp player who maybe never really bought into the project and always saw us as a stepping stone. You can't keep players like that"

Good post by a Liverpool fan on the guardian, especially that bit about pre klopp player, who say liverpool as that step before the "real" big clubs.

From now on I don't think we will be seeing players leave Liverpool so easily, because I think most who go there now will be buying into the klopp plan for the club, whether his plans will work or not is a different question.

Messi983

There was no single hint about Barca going for Coutinho before Ney's departure. Barca was screwing around with unrealistic targets such as Veratti and wasn't planning to spend 160M. Ney's departure was a wake up punch to Barto-s face .

There were rumours we were interested in him before. And after speculations about Neymar possibly leaving emerged there were also rumours that we might buy Coutinho to convince him to stay. So we had money to buy Verratti/Coutinho before Neymar left. We also wouldn't need to pay as much for Coutinho without Neymar transfer that changed the whole market.

Givenchy

"To what extent can you blame Phil? He acted like an idiot in the summer, despite playing well since then, and that is difficult to accept. However, he's been here a while and won nothing. The better players, like Phil, have often had to make up for the weaker ones and naturally that is frustrating for a player. The club is to blame for that, largely. Ultimately, he has been excellent this year and probably deserves to be at a massive club where he's going to be winning trophies every year and playing with other amazing players. On the plus side, he might be the last player to leave the club with the promises of Rodgers in his ear, the last Pre-Klopp player who maybe never really bought into the project and always saw us as a stepping stone. You can't keep players like that"

Good post by a Liverpool fan on the guardian, especially that bit about pre klopp player, who say liverpool as that step before the "real" big clubs.

From now on I don't think we will be seeing players leave Liverpool so easily, because I think most who go there now will be buying into the klopp plan for the club, whether his plans will work or not is a different question.

if Madrid came in for Salah he'd be off like a rocket, i don't buy that 'klopp plan' being a big enough pull when Barca/Madrid want you. interestingly the PL is becoming richer and richer and while they have the top managers in the world, their stars usually jump at the chance to leave and come to la liga, the latest being Coutinho and likely Hazard next summer. with PSG throwing money around and the romantics of 'club history' being trampled on thats another huge pull for players financially.

Zincubus

Banned
Great signing and exactly what we needed on that right side to add balance and take some load off Iniesta. 5,5 years contract and 400 mil. release clause :)

We definitely didn't need him now in January as La Liga is our to lose. Maybe Messi was promised this, maybe Nike had to be appeased, maybe we already agreed it with Coutinho in summer and he didn't want to wait. Who knows.
But it's definitely a message to everyone who thought this club is going to tubes. We signed one of the best young players on the planet in summer, secured Messi when some "fans" wanted him gone, and now got best epl player.

Visca el Barca

Errr I've never seen him anywhere near the right side of the pitch ..

Home of Barca Fans