7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
TBH the title for being called 2nd best Brazilian player in europe is not a high achievement seeing most of their team is pretty mediocre. I think its fair to say Coutinho can be included in that argument.

Perhaps T.Silva was/is the 2nd best in europe. Luiz? LOL Marcelo? Nah Oscar? Fair enough Lucas Rodrigues? Perhaps. Felipe Anderson? Not right now imo. Marquinhos? Maybe. Willian? Nah Douglas Costa? Perhaps. That's all the players I can think of at the top of my head. If I am missing someone else it's an accident on my part and not on purpose.

So in T.Silva, Oscar, Lucas Rodrigues, Marquinhos, Douglas Costa. I think Coutinho is in that class and can therefore be included in that argument. So it doesn't seem so preposterous as first thought.

True though that it's down mainly do the mediocrity of talent available to Brazil rather than the greatness of those aforementioned players.

But never the less Coutinho is improving each year his overall game and is undoubtedly a match winner. So once his overall game develops further - and it will - then he'll be a heck of a player and would be destined to play for Barca or Real or Bayern. But for me that is at least 2 years away if not 3.

BrazilFan

2nd best Brazilian player in Europe isn't even close. Off the top of my head, Thiago Silva, Marcelo, Daniel Alves, Luis Adriano, Diego Alves have performed better and more consistently for more than one season than Coutinho has.

Darko

Coutinho's an ACM or a LCM not a CM. He's not nor will ever be in Iniesta's class but they play in totally different positions so its a useless comparison. He should be compared to the likes of Oscar, Hazard, Silva, Ozil, Cazorla, Depay, Di Maria, Rodriguez, De Bruyne and Gotze etc.

This.
And yeah, he will be a great player but not a CM for Barca and we already have Neymar on the left.
So again, I don't see us buying him in the future to replace Iniesta as BrazilFan said.

CoutinhoLFC

2nd best Brazilian player in Europe isn't even close. Off the top of my head, Thiago Silva, Marcelo, Daniel Alves, Luis Adriano, Diego Alves have performed better and more consistently for more than one season than Coutinho has.

Are u saying Marcelo is Good?

jonxxxj

You're talking about neymar, who said some months ago that coutinho would be the best premier league player in the near future. Neymar also was insoired by coutinho.
Lets be honest here, who would substitute iniesta and maintain the same level of quality? Turan? Rakitic? Its unfair to say that a boy who started playing regularly only 2 and a half years ago would have to show today the same quality of iniesta, specially since its hard to find someone like this even considering all players playing today.

When you talked about pass accuracy, you cant deny that its much easier to have good numbers playing in a team that always have 70%+ possession. If coutinho played for a team like this, he obviously wouldnt risk the though balls he risks at liverpool, when he knows that if he doesnt define the play, the team will lose the ball soon. Its a totally different circumstance. You have to agree that when a team park the buss, while the space decreases in the areas near the goal, the time on the ball in the midfield increases, and the options increase as well, since the whole team can go foward. And i didnt say iniesta had the stats he has only because he is here, but put him in, lets say tottenham, against stoke at britain stadium and charge him to have the same rate he has in barcelona, its ridiculous. He would have to change his style, he woukd still be above everybody on the pitch, but not in the same way he is in barcelona, surrounded only by quality players.

And while i agree about coutinho flaws, its ridiculous to say that he will never good enough, specially when the guy just completed 23 and when players rakitic, turan, isco and james are playing for the two biggest teams in europe. I really dont think coutinho cannot reach their level, really.

As for coutinho being the second best brazilian in europe, i'm just repeating what poeple here talk and i agree with them, and i think they are not considering defensive players. Some people say coutinho is better than neymar, but i disagree with them.

raki

Modric gone. Kovavic gone. Isco gone.

Dont let the same happen to Coutinho. Buy him in January for Messi´s sake. Amazing player.

EdmondDantes

What a player this little lad is; looks faster every time I see him as well. Big game player, imagine what he could do with better players around him, unlucky not to score tonight.

CuleLife4Life

Modric gone. Kovavic gone. Isco gone.

Dont let the same happen to Coutinho. Buy him in January for Messi´s sake. Amazing player.

And the fact that he just turned 23 is incredible. There is no way one of the bigger teams (hopefully us) won't be after him in 2-3 seasons.

Home of Barca Fans