8 - Pedri

Laplacian

I don't know how a guy like BBZ can dislike even a player like Pedri when we have this current shithole of a squad. Such a wonderfully technical and effective player, at the age of 18 too. Seriously, what's there to hate?

Also he is not slow. He's not a pace monster sure, but he's got a good half-turn and drop of shoulder and his first 2 steps in acceleration are good enough to beat pretty much most players.

vegitot

I don't know how a guy like BBZ can dislike even a player like Pedri when we have this current shithole of a squad. Such a wonderfully technical and effective player, at the age of 18 too. Seriously, what's there to hate?

Also he is not slow. He's not a pace monster sure, but he's got a good half-turn and drop of shoulder and his first 2 steps in acceleration are good enough to beat pretty much most players.

Probably he is a Spainish.

BBZ8800

BBZ finally making his move against Pedri?

I don't see a clear position for him in Barca's classical 433.

Not too physical for a lone pivot.
Weird CM (Xavi's position) who gets rid of the ball too fast and is not involved that much in possession.
Not attacking enough for Iniesta's possession in a world after Messi where Barca's midfielders need to take some of a goalscoring burden.

Laplacian compared him with other current midfielders.
He is good.
But other options are:
Frenkie who is also shoehorned into a 433 and doesn't have a clear midfield position where he particularly excels.
Busi, who was done like 5 years ago.
PR machine Puig.
Coutinho who also doesn't have a clear position in 433.

Him being the best or top2 midfielders of ours doesn't say much and might skew the judgement, paired with an eternal need for new kids to raise our hope for the future.

Something similar is saying: Araujo is our best CB, how can you not like him?
When the competition is: done Pique, bad Lenglet, done Umtiti, Barca DNA meh player Eric and so-so wild Mingueza.

I have asked a question about Pedri's position at Barca, I don't think that I got any answers except:
1. Iniesta also wasn't a scorer.
True, but he played with 50-goals per season Messi and technical-sterile in attack CAM was perfect for that lineup (we just needed to keep the ball or eventually pass it to Messi).
2. Or: he plays well for Spain.
True, but Spain just dwells on ball, dominates possession and can't finish any opponent.
I am not sure that Spain is a direction where trophies and football will go in the future.

Pedri has some nice skills, he is young.
But he also has some flaws and my biggest point is: he doesn't excel on any mudfield position in 433 for teams who are shooting for a CL glory (the highest level).

For him to play the same as for Spain, we would need to surround him with possession merchant players who can have 80% of possession.
But again, we have Frenkie and some more direct players and 80% of possession and dwelling on a ball is not a direction in which modern CL winning teams are moving.

So, for now, I still don't see that Pedri's magic for the top-top level.
I know, I know, he is young.
But player's DNA and deadly flaws rarely change.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I don't see a clear position for him in Barca's classical 433.

Not too physical for a lone pivot.
Weird CM (Xavi's position) who gets rid of the ball too fast and is not involved that much in possession.
Not attacking enough for Iniesta's possession in a world after Messi where Barca's midfielders need to take some of a goalscoring burden.

Laplacian compared him with other current midfielders.
He is good.
But other options are:
Frenkie who is also shoehorned into a 433 and doesn't have a clear midfield position where he particularly excels.
Busi, who was done like 5 years ago.
PR machine Puig.
Coutinho who also doesn't have a clear position in 433.

Him being the best or top2 midfielders of ours doesn't say much and might skew the judgement, paired with an eternal need for new kids to raise our hope for the future.

Something similar is saying: Araujo is our best CB, how can you not like him?
When the competition is: done Pique, bad Lenglet, done Umtiti, Barca DNA meh player Eric and so-so wild Mingueza.

I have asked a question about Pedri's position at Barca, I don't think that I got any answers except:
1. Iniesta also wasn't a scorer.
True, but he played with 50-goals per season Messi and technical-sterile in attack CAM was perfect for that lineup (we just needed to keep the ball or eventually pass it to Messi).
2. Or: he plays well for Spain.
True, but Spain just dwells on ball, dominates possession and can't finish any opponent.
I am not sure that Spain is a direction where trophies and football will go in the future.

Pedri has some nice skills, he is young.
But he also has some flaws and my biggest point is: he doesn't excel on any mudfield position in 433 for teams who are shooting for a CL glory (the highest level).

For him to play the same as for Spain, we would need to surround him with possession merchant players who can have 80% of possession.
But again, we have Frenkie and some more direct players and 80% of possession and dwelling on a ball is not a direction in which modern CL winning teams are moving.

So, for now, I still don't see that Pedri's magic for the top-top level.
I know, I know, he is young.
But player's DNA and deadly flaws rarely change.

De Jong has a position where he excels. RCM in a 4-3-3 as box-to-box is his best position. He has the license to drive the ball forward, get into the box and just be creative in general.

Pedri also doesn't have many "deadly" flaws. Really, lack of a goalscoring ability is his only weakness so far at the age of 18. He has the work-rate and tackling ability to actually be useful in the defensive phase. His versatility is an asset, not a flaw. Can play as a CAM, LM, CM in a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, you name it. His long-term future is at left CM in a 4-3-3, just like that of Iniesta.

BBZ8800

His long-term future is at left CM in a 4-3-3, just like that of Iniesta.

Where Iniesta had a playmaker Xavi alongside him to control the tempo and possession, while Pedri has Frenkie who is somewhat "awkward" in possession football.
And Iniesta and Xavi had Messi or at least 2 crazy goalscorers in attack who were a cherry on top of their possession football.
While Pedri alone is a different type of a possession player who sometimes hides on a field and gets rid of the ball too easily with first-touch nice flicks which lead to nothing, paired with Frenkie who is running up and down, paired with an attack where no one can score.

That leads to a chaotic midfield without too much control or TikiTaka build up/possession/control, paired with midfield who can't score and paired with an attack who can't score.

So, I am nowhere near as convinced as you, longterm and when looking at a bigger picture.

He is kinda a weird fit for a typical Barca's possession football without Messi and a weird fit for a faster, modern, direct football.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Where Iniesta had a playmaker Xavi alongside him to control the tempo and possession, while Pedri has Frenkie who is somewhat "awkward" in possession football.
And Iniesta and Xavi had Messi or at least 2 crazy goalscorers in attack who were a cherry on top of their possession football.
While Pedri alone is a different type of a possession player who sometimes hides on a field and gets rid of the ball too easily with first-touch nice flicks which lead to nothing, paired with Frenkie who is running up and down, paired with an attack where no one can score.

That leads to a chaotic midfield without too much control or TikiTaka build up/possession/control, paired with midfield who can't score and paired with an attack who can't score.

So, I am nowhere near as convinced as you, longterm and when looking at a bigger picture.

He is kinda a weird fit for a typical Barca's possession football without Messi and a weird fit for a faster, modern, direct football.

I think his tendency to hide and shy away is mainly due to age. Should iron out his game in the next 4-5 years.

Bobo32

I think I have answered BBZ and others 10 times that Pedri should play from a wide position further up.
Him and de Jong are good players, but not good midfielders if you want to control the game, own the ball and build from the back.

JamDav1982

BBZ with his usual contradictions.

Spends half his time saying tiki taka is dead and out dated... then tries to play down FDJ and Pedri as dont play tiki taka like Xavi and Iniesta.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I think I have answered BBZ and others 10 times that Pedri should play from a wide position further up.
Him and de Jong are good players, but not good midfielders if you want to control the game, own the ball and build from the back.

You answered 10 times and were wrong 10 times. Keep up the delusions

KingLeo10

BBZ has found himself his new target.

Fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gentlemen. We're about to enter the 4th dimension of mental gymnastics

:mou:

JamDav1982

BBZ moving goal posts for Pedri being the type of signing that always fails to now it will fail if he is not Iniesta standard.

Changes daily what he is even arguing about.

Home of Barca Fans