8 - Pedri

serghei

Agree, before Nico's recent games I thought we needed one quality midfielder+one for depth. Now I am fairly in the camp that Nico/Gavi/Busquets/Pedri/Frenkie+1 cheap player with an interesting profile is enough (Zakaria, Kamara, I don't mind Roberto on low wages either). But we will see how Nico fares the rest of the season.

I think we still lack a shooter from midfield, but it's hard to bring in quality players for cheap. Unless Xavi somehow works on these players' shooting skills and we see improvements here.

Very disappointed with the decision-making and shooting technique from good ranges. Applies to everybody really.

mc_lovin

I think we still lack a shooter from midfield, but it's hard to bring in quality players for cheap. Unless Xavi somehow works on these players' shooting skills and we see improvements here.

Personally, I think that's a rather secondary skill for a midfielder. And do you have any decent examples for such players? I am not aware of any top midfielders let alone squad players that define themselves by shooting. Apart from Goretzka maybe.

Anyway, getting our front line straight should be our priority. That alone solves 80% of our issues.

serghei

Personally, I think that's a rather secondary skill for a midfielder. And do you have any decent examples for such players? I am not aware of any top midfielders let alone squad players that define themselves by shooting. Apart from Goretzka maybe.

Anyway, getting our front line straight should be our priority. That alone solves 80% of our issues.

I would say Goretzka, even likes of Kroos, Modric do well with shooting, Saul did well at AM (even though seems not so good at Chelsea so far), Ruben Neves and De Bruyne in EPL among others. I'd say box to box midfielders have to be proficient at shooting.

I see these players as very good with their shooting from medium range. We hesitate so much to shoot from great positions it's crazy.

I wouldn't mind a 2014 Rakitic profile.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

I would say Goretzka, even likes of Kroos, Modric do well with shooting, Saul did well at AM (even though seems not so good at Chelsea so far), Ruben Neves and De Bruyne in EPL among others. I'd say box to box midfielders have to be proficient at shooting.

I see these players as very good with their shooting from medium range. We hesitate so much to shoot from great positions it's crazy.

I guess it's more a case that the midfielders we could get are definitely worse than the ones we have (by far the best part of our team) and it doesn't make an awful lot of sense to explicitly look for a 'shooter'. But yeah, as I mentioned, a midfielder #6 with an interesting profile would be nice.

JamDav1982

Modric and Kroos are not hammering home goals for Real.

Neither in their 20 odd seasons at Real have scored more in one season than FDJ did last year.

The goals from midfield can be a bit over played at times for what others are doing but need more from Barca without a doubt.

serghei

Modric and Kroos are not hammering home goals for Real.

Neither in their 20 odd seasons at Real have scored more in one season than FDJ did last year.

The goals from midfield can be a bit over played at times for what others are doing but need more from Barca without a doubt.

Not only shots but also more whipped in crosses like what Henderson, De Bruyne and Arnold, even Walker are doing for instance from midfield positions. Basically hitting the ball harder with more pace, be it a shot, or a cross, or a longer pass.

We tend to abuse the soft, slow, short passes. Not enough range in it at times.

mc_lovin

Not only shots but also more whipped in crosses like what Henderson, De Bruyne and Arnold, even Walker are doing for instance from midfield positions. Basically hitting the ball harder with more pace, be it a shot, or a cross, or a longer pass.

We tend to abuse the soft, slow, short passes. Not enough range in it at times.

Not sure how a midfield transfer solves that problem for us though.

khaled_a_d

:lol: If we need 2 signings in midfield, we need 3 in offense and 4 in defense, and at least 1 in keeper position. Hell, you must be only rating De Jong then. Not anybody else.

You don't even rate both De Jong and Pedri as starters? That would clear only 1 spot in midfield.

We are thin in midfield just like other lines, if we want to raise the quality of the team that is a must.
A starting DM and a solid CM is essential.
Attack needs an overhaul anyway , defense is utter shit except for 3 players who shouldn't all be starter. And GK is joke. The reality is at the moment I don't rate us as top 4 squads in Liga, even full healthy.
We need to keep adding talents, we won't be able to do it all in 1 transfer market, but we need at least 5 new starter by end of next summer.

PS: I think that FDJ and Pedri aren't good playing beside each other

JamDav1982

We are thin in midfield just like other lines, if we want to raise the quality of the team that is a must.
Attack needs an overhaul anyway , defense is utter shit except for 3 players who shouldn't all be starter. And GK is joke. The reality is at the moment I don't rate us as top 4 squads in Liga, even full healthy.
We need to keep adding talents, we won't be able to do it all in 1 transfer market, but we need at least 5 new starter by end of next summer.

Clearly in top 4 squads when all healthy.

Closer to being 1st than 5th with the squad when fit.

serghei

Very pessimistic approach IMO. I think we have a lot of talent in midfield, and would only sign 1 experienced player there that could add the maturity that shot Busi doesn't add.

The big weakness is us having both wingers injured and unreliable as far as staying fit is concerned. So one class winger, preferably one that is comfortable on both RW and LW is an absolute must.

RW-LW and CB both top class and the squad is easily top 3 in Spain if players are fit. Probably top 2 ahead of Atletico (Madrid will be first with Mbappe joining, Benzema one of the best in the world as 9, and Vinicius great as well).

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The free market this summer is awash with players that can help Barca in every position needed.

It is not all about having little money it is also about type of players want and at times in past been too specific about this idea of Barca DNA.

khaled_a_d

Very pessimistic approach IMO. I think we have a lot of talent in midfield, and would only sign 1 experienced player there that could add the maturity that shot Busi doesn't add.

What does "talent" mean? Busquets has ton of talents, Gavi has a lot of it.
Both are 6 seasons away from being dominant midfielder, which rarely happens before the age of 24 (even for Xavi, Busq, Iniesta) and rarely lasts beyond 31.

I mean sure, in terms of priority we should prioritise wingers, period. No argument from me in that regard.
Defense also has arguments of being a priority over CM (but not DM) and again, no complains from me.

But we are speaking about midfield, especially in next season I have no faith in anyone here as DM, Busquets is done, in my life time as Barca fan I didn't witness a player who started a season at age of 34 and was starter that season in this club. Not Puyol, Messi, Iniesta, Xavi have done it and neither should Busquets
In CM we will have Gavi (18) and Nico & Pedri at almost 20 when next season starts along Puig who shouldn't stay, only Frenkie won't be a kid.
There is a clear need for another CM IMO.

fergus90

I’d get someone in like Brozovic or Kessie, different profile than the smaller technical players and at the right age.

Home of Barca Fans