8 - Pedri

Porque

Hm maybe to an extent, but I think he was mostly very eager to win. I believe he thinks those players are the best players and played them as much as he thought possible. Maybe some of them could've played some minutes earlier than yesterday, but they waited so as not to have any setbacks. Maybe for someone it was too early to get as many minutes yesterday, but it was seen as worth it to advance v Real and have that "turning point" they talked about.

Now it's a full week of training before the next game, and then Xavi should have most of his squad avaialable to use. His honeymoon is over, and he needs to show more improvement on the field and not only talk decently well. I am looking forward to see Pedri play under Xavi now, could he begin move more sharply, be more involved and at the same time more threatening? I think he has a huge potential and might work well together with Gavi. Let's see.

Don't get me wrong. I think we both realise that Puig is in all likelihood Xavi's 7th midfield option (Busquets, Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie, Nico, Sergi Roberto, Puig. Probably in that order too).

Just that yesterday had the right conditions for how to have Puig enter, if Xavi had wanted and it isn't as an alternative (or rather a comparison) to Pedri but to Depay in that attacking mid space, to work quick movements and passing with the rest of the mids supplying the wide outlets and Fati up top.

But anyways, the core motivation of that match is fulfilled and alot of the returning players got valuable featurettes. Puig will hardly feature for the rest of the season if everyone is fit, and should probably finally consider his exit. As even his dream coach in Xavi has less trust in him than Koeman.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Don't get me wrong. I think we both realise that Puig is in all likelihood Xavi's 7th midfield option (Busquets, Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie, Nico, Sergi Roberto, Puig. Probably in that order too).

Just that yesterday had the right conditions for how to have Puig enter, if Xavi had wanted and it isn't as an alternative to Pedri but to Depay in that attacking mid space, to work quick movements and passing with the rest of the mids supplying the wide outlets and Fati up top.

But anyways, the core motivation of that match is fulfilled and alot of the returning players got valuable featurettes. Puig will hardly feature for the rest of the season if everyone is fit, and should probably finally consider his exit. As even his dream coach in Xavi has less trust in him than Koeman.

I don't really want to discuss Puig in this thread either, just pointed out en passant that he played some better games than Pedris after not playing for long. I mostly agree about Puigs current situation (and I think it is a shame)
I like some of the posts ITT though, they are full of imagination, and I like that. Relating Pedris performance to his situation, and thinking he is always looking for the forward, constructive pass, etc. It is wishful and analytic thinking that I like unsarcastically, even if I don't necessarily agree about Pedris game yesterday.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srqGpInIHK4
The first attempt at a pass that wasn't backwards, the sideways one after 1:55, was a pretty terrible miss... After watching the video - not at all a good game from Pedri in my opinion. Two nice through balls (and some missed), one or two nice dribbling attempts, and then best case scenario with him was a constructive pass on the outside and on the feet of a stationary winger... Some blunders too from him, and I didn't like his positioning a lot of the time.

JamDav1982

Pedri comes on HT v Real and the midfield massively improves.

Puig goes off at HT v third tier Linares and midfield massively improves.

Levels to this game lads.

Qqqq

Why on Earth would he be sold? He?s currently the only young player in the world that comes close to something Xavi/Iniesta-esque in terms of technique and vision.

fergus90

Pedri along with Fati are the two most unlikely to be sold from the whole squad. I'd include Gavi in that list too if he continues on this path with Barca and Spain.

They are going to be part of Barca and Spain's for many years to come.

Gnidrologist

His influence on the game is incredible for basically being a kid and not even having his best game after long hiatus. None of Iniesta or Xavi were so important for Barca at that age. We may say it's because we're shit now, but i'd disagree. He would be starter even in stacked team. My only concern is development. He is the kind of player, who should elevate even further and it remains to be seen how that pans out. Depends on Xavis level and players we'll have in near future to complement him.

Home of Barca Fans