8 - Pedri

BusiTheKing

Trying to put some numbers to the issue I have with him of not being inovlved enough in general circulation.

Pedri averages 43,9 passes per 90 as a CM.

These are passes per 90 for comparable players in England and Spain (only appearances registered as CM by whoscored):

Thiago 86,7
Milner 75,3
Henderson 74,9
Ross Barkley 69,2
Saul Niguez 66,2
H?jbjerg 64,9
De Bryune 60,3
Curtis Jones 60,1
Lallana 57,1
Moutinho 56
Sancho 55,6
?degaard 49,5
Bruno Fernandes 48,1
Koke 73,4
Parejo 68,7
Kroos 90,5
Modric 73,4
Rakitic 65,8
Frenkie 62
Valverde 59,6
David Silva 57,2
Denis Suarez 56,9
Trigueros 55,8
Oliver Torres 55,6
Rodrigo de Paul 55,6

Zidane82

Trying to put some numbers to the issue I have with him of not being inovlved enough in general circulation.

Pedri averages 43,9 passes per 90 as a CM.

These are passes per 90 for comparable players in England and Spain (only appearances registered as CM by whoscored):

Thiago 86,7
Milner 75,3
Henderson 74,9
Ross Barkley 69,2
Saul Niguez 66,2
H?jbjerg 64,9
De Bryune 60,3
Curtis Jones 60,1
Lallana 57,1
Moutinho 56
Sancho 55,6
?degaard 49,5
Bruno Fernandes 48,1
Koke 73,4
Parejo 68,7
Kroos 90,5
Modric 73,4
Rakitic 65,8
Frenkie 62
Valverde 59,6
David Silva 57,2
Denis Suarez 56,9
Trigueros 55,8
Oliver Torres 55,6
Rodrigo de Paul 55,6

Mmmmm not sure those stats are helpful

Ross Barkley is sh1te whilst Odegaard is having a massive impact at Arsenal

Zidane82

He's starting to be more vocal with other players too, I noticed he was directing them, assuming responsibilities on corners etc.

Not his best game individually but still a cut above the rest in what was a difficult game to shine in.

Agreed ... he gave the ball away repeatedly and his dead balls and corners were disastrous

He is one of our guiding lights though

mc_lovin

Number of passes is a useless stat. He easily gets more for Spain for example. It depends on the role more than anything.

fergus90

Thing is, Pedri's positioning and decision making was evidently elite for a 17/18 year old stepping into a club like Barcelona from minute 1. You think the number of footballers who have arrived here with a big reputation and experience and it crushed them.

He arrived and looked like he'd been playing at the club for 5-10 years. He went through a stage where he could of had 5-6 backheel assists alone in like the space of a month if we didn't finish like amateurs. I struggle to see how anyone can't notice this lads immense ability and potential.

BusiTheKing

Number of passes is a useless stat. He easily gets more for Spain for example. It depends on the role more than anything.

Right, so find me a player who you think plays the same role as Pedri and who's about the same level, and we'll see if their numbers look similar.

Also, I'm not discussing how Pedri has played for Spain, I'm discussing how he plays for us right now since that is what I'm interested in.

vegitot

Don't want to compare them but in Euro 2008, Iniesta only averages 42 passes per 90. Pedri has 65 per 90 in Euro 2020.

:iniesta: :pedri:

BusiTheKing

Don't want to compare them but in Euro 2008, Iniesta only averages 42 passes per 90. Pedri has 65 per 90 in Euro 2020.

:iniesta: :pedri:

Yes, that's very nice, and once again, I think that Pedri did very well at the Euros, but once again, I'm not talking about his historical performances, I'm talking about how he's performing for us right now.

Btw, here are Iniesta's numbers for his La Liga seasons:

09/10: 67
10/11: 85
11/12: 75
12/13: 96
13/14: 78
14/15: 80
15/16: 73
16/17: 76
17/18: 74

But Pedri's current 43 is not suspicious at all somehow?

It's hilarious the responses you get when you criticize Pedri.

He's hiding from the ball? No, look at how he wasn't hiding from the ball in the EUROS 2020.

For how little he's on the ball, he's not really creating anything dangerous? No, look at how much he created for Spain at the EUROS 2020.

He's not really contributing enough to the overall circulation? That's just his role.

As if fucking Xavi of all people would somehow be instructing one of his midfielders to be less involved in the passing play than any other good CM in Europe.

And once again, I'm not saying that Pedri is not talented or that he can't improve. But this is the situation right now.

BusiTheKing

Neither am I ...
I actually said that Odegaard was having a huge influence on Arsenal ..

I know. And I agree. But what was the point of the comment if not to argue that number of passes pr 90 isn't a good indicator of overall performance?

Which is a position I did not take.

JamDav1982

Pedri is being asked to play AM and in between the lines and to hold his position to then help support/create for front players.

Moaning about him no making 100 passes a game is not realising what role he is being asked to play.

Scored two games back v Bilbao and created the most chances, created the most chances of any Barca player this season v Alaves.

He is impacting game in way he is being put out to do so.

If want that can play an irrelevant player like Puig who will look to pass the ball aimlessly a hundred times while opposition just watch him and Xavi gets pissed off on sidelines.

Pedri will get more of ball and more passes when team can get it up to his area more often. Xavi wont ask him to go hunting it and try to dominate passes in this system.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans