8 - Pedri

BusiTheKing

92 passes! Maybe the argument that he doesn't participate enough can be laid to rest. To the shock of no one (well one person) it depends on the midfield setup.

With Gavi he's the focal point in CM. With Frenkie he is not.

Wait, your explanation for why he went from 36 passes in a game to 92 is that he played alongside Gavi instead of Frenkie? I'm not saying it doesn't make a slight difference, but that argument seems very exaggerated.

I think the main external factor is that the whole team plays much quicker in general and that the overall improved circulation generates more space in midfield and leads the ball to Pedri more.

But the main explanation for that change is Pedri's own game. Last night he was more eager, agressive and confident than I've ever seen him before. The general chemistry and spirit is rising and he's being lifted with it to fulfill his real potential. Love to see it.

mc_lovin

Wait, your explanation for why he went from 36 passes in a game to 92 is that he played alongside Gavi instead of Frenkie?

Yes. Same dynamic Xavi and Iniesta had with the latter averaging ~50 passes/game and the former nearly double that (quick 1 minute research, so don't nail me on that). The less advanced CM sees more of the ball. Shocking, I know.

BusiTheKing

Yes. Same dynamic Xavi and Iniesta had with the latter averaging ~50 passes/game and the former nearly double that (quick 1 minute research, so don't nail me on that). The less advanced CM sees more of the ball. Shocking, I know.

10/11 Iniesta averaged 94
11/12 Inesta averaged 75
12/13 Iniesta averaged 96

mc_lovin

10/11 Iniesta averaged 94
11/12 Inesta averaged 75
12/13 Iniesta averaged 96

Your numbers are definitely wrong. 10/11 La Liga is his best with ~78passes/game*, but who in their right mind would compare our current team to that. Otherwise he's roughly at ~60passes/game.

Anyway, it's not a hard concept to grasp. One CM in our setup simply gets more passes than the other one.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/9486/History/Andrés-Iniesta

*Xavi with 110passes/game in 10/11 :lol: The ratio stays the same.

Last edited:

BusiTheKing

Your numbers are definitely wrong. 10/11 La Liga is his best with ~78passes/game, but who in their right mind would compare our current team to that. Otherwise he's roughly at ~60passes/game.

Anyway, it's not a hard concept to grasp. One CM in our setup simply gets more passes than the other one.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/9486/History/Andrés-Iniesta

I don't want to get into a whole statistics thing again, but if you're only including the games he played at CM, he's on 93.8 passes pr 90 for 10/11. Other numbers are consistent with that method. I don't think it makes sense to include the games he played on the wing.

And I don't know who would compare our current team to that, but that's what you started.

Look at this video from AFTER Frenkie's come on: https://streamable.com/9uh7oy

Pedri is still down deep in our own half making combinations to play it out of the pressure. This is what I'm talking about. This is the change for me.

BusiTheKing

I think your basic assumption that we have one basic midfield setup that has basically been the same since Pep days hold true either.

The Xavi/Iniesta role division followed naturally from their attributes as players. Xavi was more of a controller, Iniesta was more of an agitator. The system follows the players like that. It's not set in stone to plot different players onto.

mc_lovin

I don't want to get into a whole statistics thing again, but if you're only including the games he played at CM, he's on 93.8 passes pr 90 for 10/11. Other numbers are consistent with that method. I don't think it makes sense to include the games he played on the wing.

And I don't know who would compare our current team to that, but that's what you started.

Look at this video from AFTER Frenkie's come on: https://streamable.com/9uh7oy

Pedri is still down deep in our own half making combinations to play it out of the pressure. This is what I'm talking about. This is the change for me.

I agree, forget the stats. I am not too bothered going into details there.

The video is pretty irrelevant though, the more advanced CM can still drop back :p He's a CM after all. The interesting part would be comparing both CM positions directly. One of them usually gets roughly one third more passes. Again, pretty much like the Xavi-Iniesta duo (not talking quality).

BusiTheKing

I agree, forget the stats. I am not too bothered going into details there.

The video is pretty irrelevant though, the more advanced CM can still drop back :p He's a CM after all. The interesting part would be comparing both CM positions directly. One of them usually gets roughly one third more passes. Again, pretty much like the Xavi-Iniesta duo (not talking quality).

Yes but one third more is still very different from 2,5 times more. Which is my point. There are other factors.

mc_lovin

It's a tedious discussion for a rather simple observation. One CM in our setup usually passes more than the other one. That's it really. And it depends on designated roles.

fergus90

He is world-class at 19 years old, it's as simple as that.

His balance is insane, his vision is insane and he's assuming more and more responsibility on the pitch.

malvolio

He is world-class at 19 years old, it's as simple as that.

His balance is insane, his vision is insane and he's assuming more and more responsibility on the pitch.

no mate, he isn't. yet.

world-class is the standard that applies to players that are at the top of their game for a consistent period of time, against the very best opposition.

pedri until now had patches of that. but there is no doubt that he is on the path to quickly becoming one of the best(maybe THE best?) in his position.

Andresito

Staff member
Should consider a player world class if he slots into the XI of ANY team in the world. Pedri is very very close to that.

Home of Barca Fans