8 - Pedri

fergus90

no mate, he isn't. yet.

world-class is the standard that applies to players that are at the top of their game for a consistent period of time, against the very best opposition.

pedri until now had patches of that. but there is no doubt that he is on the path to quickly becoming one of the best(maybe THE best?) in his position.

I'm not really one to brandish the term about too much, but I genuinely think we've reached a point where he starts for every team in world football now.

malvolio

I'm not really one to brandish the term about too much, but I genuinely think we've reached a point where he starts for every team in world football now.

starting for any team in the world doesn't tell the whole story, does it? it's not like all big teams have only world class mids starting for them. there are also guys from a tier below.

fergus90

starting for any team in the world doesn't tell the whole story, does it? it's not like all big teams have only world class mids starting for them. there are also guys from a tier below.

Well, that's my definition of 'world class'. The fact you'd start for any team in your position. I guess we all have our own definition.

BusiTheKing

Weird discussion. If he plays consistently like he did yesterday, he probably starts for (pretty much) any team. If he plays consistently like he did against Espanyol or Alaves, he doesn't start for any top team in Europe.

There are very promising signs but you have to prove it consistently and not just when the whole team around you is clicking.

fergus90

Weird discussion. If he plays consistently like he did yesterday, he probably starts for (pretty much) any team. If he plays consistently like he did against Espanyol or Alaves, he doesn't start for any top team in Europe.

There are very promising signs but you have to prove it consistently and not just when the whole team around you is clicking.

Why is it a weird discussion exactly?

fergus90

because it hinges on unclear assumptions and semantics. what is the definition of 'world class'? on what series of performances is the assessment of what teams he'd start for based on?

To be perfectly honest I don't care enough to agree on what defines world-class, I already said above that I think he starts for any team in the world currently to make him world-class for me. If your definition is he needs to do X amount for Y amount of time then fair enough.

JamDav1982

Not been all that bothered about going to watch Barca for last 4/5 years.

Pedri changes that.

He is helping the stadium fall in love with the team again.

Sensational player and his range of passing has improved as much as anything.

Zings, pings and through balls the Pedri story.

slicknick

Not been all that bothered about going to watch Barca for last 4/5 years.

Pedri changes that.

He is helping the stadium fall in love with the team again.

Sensational player and his range of passing has improved as much as anything.

Zings, pings and through balls the Pedri story.

+1...God we're so lucky to have him, as well as Gavi, Nico & Ansu Fati (whenever he is fit) :) This new crop is really making me enjoy watching the games again

JamDav1982

I must have sat and watched the nutmeg and crowd reaction on loop for half an hour.

Almost feels symbolic of Barca and the crowd getting their swagger back and road to being top team not all that far away.

Porque

I must have sat and watched the nutmeg and crowd reaction on loop for half an hour.

Almost feels symbolic of Barca and the crowd getting their swagger back and road to being top team not all that far away.

Absolutely. For a while I forgot that football is about entertainment. All these months (years even) we have got accustomed to by the numbers football, a robotic results orientated business where even a big winning scoreline lacked the spectacle.

The Adama dribble through the middle, the Dembele villain to hero act in 20 minutes, the opening minutes and Pedri and Gavi flicking the ball over opponents heads, those exquisite long range Pedri passes and finished off by the Pedriquelme's. We weren't as good against Bilbao as the previous 3 games, but we brought the spectacle back in those moments.

Football, and especially Camp Nou has missed these moments. Reason why a peak Neymar was glorious, because he played playground football on the grandest stage with effectivity.

vegitot

Have to stand up after watching his nutmeg.

There are plenty of times you can see they will show Pedri's movement in slow motion/close up which is even better. Like when he controls the ball before long ball to Dembele.

jamrock

You know how far we had fallen under bartomeu to the point where a 19 year old doing a nutmeg is giving the Barcelona world so much joy 😂.

Kid is definitely special couple a years away from being argued as the best in the world, gavi too, Insane when you think about it.

xavi knows that to be a Barcelona supporter/coach/player means it's not just about winning but how you win, he's trying to bring that back to us & he still has one hand tied behind is back due to our finances.

Football is Barcelona, Barcelona is football, days are coming again soon.

JamDav1982

If this team goes on to grow that nutmeg and recent performances will be highlighted for years to come.

Be making documentaries of the nutmeg on Barca + already.

Home of Barca Fans