8 - Pedri

BerkeleyBernie

I don't know what Xavi's tactics/instructions were but Pedri played almost entirely between the lines, shuffling horizontally back and forth a bit but mostly hidden and unavailable, never really dropping deeper to receive the ball and connect. Because Frankfurt played with a fair amount of space between the lines and pressed Barca's backline when in their half, most of Barca's vertical passes were long (and inaccurate). If it had been Xavi the player himself playing, he would have been far more active at offering himself (whatever one's issues with Puig, this is something he also does). It was definitely missing this game.

BusiTheKing

He did what he could but it honestly looks like he's running at 80% to keep up with opponents in basic 40% movement around the pitch. Every time there's a slight acceleration from his marking, he has to drop his head and really dig deep to keep up.

I don't think you can say he had a bad game, because this is simply what he can do when the intensity is high. Maybe slightly more if he's rested but I honestly hasn't seen any proof of that. He can try to keep up defensively and get some nice passes in when a little space opens up, but he won't do much to switch the power balance in the midfield and he won't force the opponent onto the backfoot.

Catta

The Puig boys in full force shitting on Pedri. Like that will change anything. In a few years, the little rat will still be on the bench in a Segunda team, while Pedri will be racking up awards and trophies.

fergus90

This is a good point. Every other midfielder has been subbed regularly besides him. Hopefully he doesn?t pick up an injury from being over loaded.

He also plays way better as the left midfielder.

The difference is Pedri has already missed a few months of action this season. Compared to last where he was ever-present from August-August including International tournaments.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He did what he could but it honestly looks like he's running at 80% to keep up with opponents in basic 40% movement around the pitch. Every time there's a slight acceleration from his marking, he has to drop his head and really dig deep to keep up.

I don't think you can say he had a bad game, because this is simply what he can do when the intensity is high. Maybe slightly more if he's rested but I honestly hasn't seen any proof of that. He can try to keep up defensively and get some nice passes in when a little space opens up, but he won't do much to switch the power balance in the midfield and he won't force the opponent onto the backfoot.

A lot of speculative bs.

Horatio

You're welcome
The Puig boys in full force shitting on Pedri. Like that will change anything. In a few years, the little rat will still be on the bench in a Segunda team, while Pedri will be racking up awards and trophies.

has jam seal of approval this post.

Bobo32

The difference is Pedri has already missed a few months of action this season. Compared to last where he was ever-present from August-August including International tournaments.
It was more like the end of November to August, he was rotated the first months.

And I rarely see him going 100% either. It is this 80% struggling to keep his nose above the water level we see a lot of... He had a very nice game against Sevilla, but I think it was more a stylistic, tactical bad fit yesterday than something physical. He is on the right track I think, but he is having these bad games here and there, without really being criticized for it. It is good I guess, because he should be able to develop a bit in silence, the big thing is if Xavi let's him get away with it or not.
I don't know what Xavi's tactics/instructions were but Pedri played almost entirely between the lines, shuffling horizontally back and forth a bit but mostly hidden and unavailable, never really dropping deeper to receive the ball and connect. Because Frankfurt played with a fair amount of space between the lines and pressed Barca's backline when in their half, most of Barca's vertical passes were long (and inaccurate). If it had been Xavi the player himself playing, he would have been far more active at offering himself (whatever one's issues with Puig, this is something he also does). It was definitely missing this game.
Yeah he walked, jogged around there in between lines, mostly with his back towards the goal, not really making himself available. I like the basic positioning in theory, but he didn't really ask for the ball, and when he got it he struggled to make something of it. When the team lost the ball he was much too slow to get back and help the defence. BIG details about body orientation and timing that he needs to work on.

xXKonan

Pedri has become the reference of FC Barcelona around the world - his jerseys, along with Gavi's, are the best selling & more than 80 brands have contacted him in the 3 last months to propose a sponsorship.
@esport3
[��️]

Home of Barca Fans