8 - Pedri

Joan

Valverde had zero goals and one assist in 31 match in the league last season. Pedri had 4 in 12. What end product?

khaled_a_d

Valverde had zero goals and one assist in 31 match in the league last season. Pedri had 4 in 12. What end product?

Yeah,I don't get that.
F.Valverde is a good utility player, not someone you build your midfield around.
No way I put him a top 10 midfielder, nor above Pedri.

Joan

Yeah,I don't get that.
F.Valverde is a good utility player, not someone you build your midfield around.

Serghei is like an ex addict on an anti drugs rally. Always the fiercest :lol:

serghei

Yeah,I don't get that.

Who said about building your midfielder around somebody? The post wasn't even about playmakers, but midfielders in general.

I would put him above Pedri currently, but he's nearly 5 years older so Pedri will likely be better soon. But he's yet to even play a very good match in CL, let alone make an assist in a CL final for the only goal like Valverde did.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Who said about building your midfielder around somebody? The post wasn't even about playmakers, but midfielders in general.

I would put him above Pedri currently, but he's nearly 5 years older so Pedri will likely be better soon. But he's yet to even play a very good match in CL, let alone make an assist in a CL final for the only goal like Valverde did.

1- Valverde himself admitted it was intended to be a shot, not a pass

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...g-son-harder-marking-Andy-Robertson-joke.html

'I got close to the box, I shot the ball, it ended up being a tremendous pass and Vinicius made it look even better.'

2-If you as a midfielder can't be a core player to build an elite midfield, you have no place at top 10 or even top 20 midfielders worldwide

3-Pedri had world class performance in Euros, rightfully benching Thiago, outplay top midfielders against elite competition while being in tournament best XI.
Valverde putting good performance as 4th midfielder to a historically 3 elite midfield trio, isn't anything above what Pedri already achieved

vegitot

Valverde shot, not pass. You can see the way he hit the ball.

Pedri vs Juventus is better than any Valverde UCL performance. Pedri also has very good game vs PSG away, vs Ferancvaros or even vs Benfica last season.

Would like to have Valverde but he isn't above Pedri.

Horatio

You're welcome
Pedri way better at handling/manipulating ball and less space than Valverde obviously. Valverde better in other areas.

serghei

Valverde shot, not pass. You can see the way he hit the ball.

Pedri vs Juventus is better than any Valverde UCL performance. Pedri also has very good game vs PSG away, vs Ferancvaros or even vs Benfica last season.

Would like to have Valverde but he isn't above Pedri.

Was about his only top game in CL and it was a group stage game where teams play with half the intensity anyway. We will see this season how great he is. Valverde convinced me last season. Played a great game away to Chelsea for example.

I saw Pedri vs PSG on Camp Nou that season (1-4) and he was terrible, and physically overwhelmed. He's too young still and needs to improve in terms of athleticism.

Last edited:

vegitot

Was about his only top game in CL and it was a group stage game where teams play with half the intensity anyway. We will see this season how great he is. Valverde convinced me last season. Played a great game away to Chelsea for example.

By one game vs Chelsea??? Chelsea completely dominated Madrid in Bernabeu when Valverde played full game and only Modric moment of magic could save them.

serghei

By one game vs Chelsea??? Chelsea completely dominated Madrid in Bernabeu when Valverde played full game and only Modric moment of magic could save them.

Yes, but Pedri didn't have yet even one high pressure game for Barcelona where he delivered top stuff. This season in CL will be a big test for him. When he will face stronger more determined players, instead of general La Liga opposition in a lower intensity weekly match.

vegitot

Yes, but Pedri didn't have yet even one high pressure game for Barcelona where he delivered top stuff. This season in CL will be a big test for him. When he will face stronger more determined players, instead of general La Liga opposition in a lower intensity weekly match.

Fair. But Pedri only play a few UCL games. This season is tricky cause with this non existence midfield setup, i'm not surprised if he and other midfielders will be destroyed in UCL.

Madrid can endure, Barca can not.

serghei

Fair. But Pedri only play a few UCL games. This season is tricky cause with this non existence midfield setup, i'm not surprised if he and other midfielders will be destroyed in UCL.

Madrid can endure, Barca can not.

Yes, but then this is also an area where individually Valverde is superior to Pedri. He is more athletic, faster, stronger, more resilient in general. Basically a superior athlete to Pedri, who is more technical. As are most Madrid players compared to Barca counterparts although this is starting to change under Laporta.

Home of Barca Fans