8 - Pedri

gregorrin10

Would rather him at AM and Frenkie more box to box with a 'proper' DM supporting them.

Gavi doesnt have the quality at moment to play AM for Barca and struggles to find the ball in decent positions.

Gavi and Pedri is not the pairing Xavi seems to think it is. It lacks a lot.

This aged well tonight. :p

gregorrin10

A ball winner + De Jong behind Pedri as an AM. That doesn't sound bad.

Could Gavi be that ball winner though? He certainly has the lungs and the aggression and tenacity for it. Even though he killed it tonight as an inside LW. Would still rather have him in that midfield, and having two classic wingers up front.

JamDav1982

This aged well tonight. :p

Well considering FDJ played box to box and with freedom while Pedri was more of an AM it did.

The issue is when it is Pedri and Gavi as a pair too often doesnt work and when Gavi is the AM of the two he struggles to get on the ball and Barca struggle to have that midifled domination offensively and defensively.

If he can play like did tonight in a pair with Pedri fair fucks but havent seen it and it fails too often.. did in CL and did in EL last season.

Last edited:

CatalinR10

Fmi0f8vacAE8-y5

vegitot

Pedri as an AM and De Jong deeper, i wonder why Xavi never saw it from beginning. But now it looks like he found the best way to play his midfield. Kudos to him.

gregorrin10

Well considering FDJ played box to box and with freedom while Pedri was more of an AM it did.

The issue is when it is Pedri and Gavi as a pair too often doesnt work and when Gavi is the AM of the two he struggles to get on the ball and Barca struggle to have that midifled domination offensively and defensively.

If he can play like did tonight in a pair with Pedri fair fucks but havent seen it and it fails too often.. did in CL and did in EL last season.

I'm wondering if this formation would work with Gavi alongside De Jong and a classic LW? Would be absolutely massive for us if it did. De Jong can take care of the defensive side, Gavi is everywhere on the pitch anyway, but the biggest strength in that position being his tenacity and ball winning ability, which would give Pedri the freedom to roam in front of them.

vegitot

I'm wondering if this formation would work with Gavi alongside De Jong and a classic LW? Would be absolutely massive for us if it did. De Jong can take care of the defensive side, Gavi is everywhere on the pitch anyway, but the biggest strength in that position being his tenacity and ball winning ability, which would give Pedri the freedom to roam in front of them.

Then Pedri must be really good at creating chances and penetrating oponent's defense. His movements in final third are getting better as an AM. Still need more matches to see.

gregorrin10

Pedri as an AM and De Jong deeper, i wonder why Xavi never saw it from beginning. But now it looks like he found the best way to play his midfield. Kudos to him.

Then Pedri must be really good at creating chances and penetrating oponent's defense. His movements in final third are getting better as an AM. Still need more matches to see.

Hopefully Gavi can get used into playing alongside De Jong in that deeper position in the 4-2-3-1 or in our case more of a 4-3-3 with a CAM (which I hope will be our standard formation going forward), even though I worry that he's not defensive enough or that we'd be wasting his ability to get forward, cause he was really good tonight in that inside LW/LAM role with the two DMs covering behind him.

But I like that unlike Pedri he certainly has the lungs, tenacity and the aggression for the deeper position, and on the other hand he doesn't quite have the dribbling, penetration and the final pass that Pedri has, so that box-to box role in a 4-2-3-1 alongside a more defensive De Jong with Pedri in front of them could suit him perfectly.

Even though (as we saw tonight), the almost 4-man midfield can also work beautifully to really give us control in midfield (can still be used in some matches, when the tactics call for it) and especially if Balde is there on the left, bombing forward and overlapping, basically covering that whole left side, I think I'd still prefer two attacking wingers...real goal scoring wingers, who are a constant goal threat, not the crap that is Ferran, Depay or even Dembele (even though he at least makes up for it with his penetration, getting past defenders with ease and creating space for others), while I still have some hope for Fati...but we obviously need new wingers, almost inside forwards.

We need to get rid of Ferran in the summer (Depay hopefully leaving this month) and bring in a top LW to really push Fati, but also so that we don't have to rely on him so much, since he's still a big question mark regarding his injuries and overall use of his potential, which is still there, but is fading by the day, cause we're putting too much pressure on him. He needs to be a backup LW (and mostly a super sub) until he can prove his injuries are behind him, but also that he still has that pace and finishing that made him explode onto the scene in the first place.

As for the right, I'm perfectly fine with Dembele and Raphinha fighting for that spot, and hopefully Raphinha doesn't get unhappy, since Xavi clearly prefers Dembele. But there is the thing of needing to extend Dembele in that case, which could prove to be problematic. With him entering the final year of his contract this summer, the talks to extend need to start now and finish until the summer. And since he still didn't get rid of his ass agent...and if he (them) went back to his delusional wage demands, just because he's been good and fit for a year now, I honestly wouldn't bother and just sell him for 50-100M this summer, however much we can get. But otherwise he can stay, because he does bring that unpredictability into our game. But I'm also sure that Raphinha could also become just as good, if given the chance. And that might not ever happen, if we keep Dembele.

And with Yamal knocking on the door of the first team in the next year or so, we might be able to get away with selling Dembele (if he proves to be too expensive to extend) and not having to buy again to replace him. Raphinha and Yamal as his backup could be great this time next season, if Yamal gets the preseason with the first team and then really bursts onto the scene like Gavi did, which would obviously be ideal.

vegitot

Can't believe online fans actually knew how to use Pedri and De Jong way before the coach. But problem is the third midfielder. Not sure Xavi will keep all 4 midfielders as the main formation.

vegitot

The way he was gliding with the ball was Iniesta reincarnate. Beautiful to see.

Iniesta did those things every games. Pedri occasionaly. Xavi insists him take on his defenders more. With solid two midfielders behind, he should feel free to attack.

Home of Barca Fans