9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan

Calma, calma
For 30M+ strikers who could've done what Suarez did today, or even better (values from transfermarkt):

Benzema
Aguero
Lewandowski
Rooney
Cavani
Higuain
Diego Costa

There were only 2 other CFs who were at or above 30M and those were Jackson Martinez and Lukaku. I haven't watched either of them play enough to know whether they could've played like Suarez today.

JamDav1982

For 30M+ strikers who could've done what Suarez did today, or even better (values from transfermarkt):

Benzema
Aguero
Lewandowski
Rooney
Cavani
Higuain
Diego Costa

There were only 2 other CFs who were at or above 30M and those were Jackson Martinez and Lukaku. I haven't watched either of them play enough to know whether they could've played like Suarez today.

No way getting Benzema, Aguero, Higuain, Rooney or Cavani for 30m. Not even close.

Suarez is in a different league to Diego Costa and Lewandowski had already agreed to go to Bayern.

You havent named one striker available for 30m that can do what Suarez does.

footyfan

Calma, calma
What on earth are you on about?

He us creating more chances than any other Barca players. If you think thats all down to luck then thats up to you.

I meant the 3 chances today. I remember a cross to Messi, a square pass to Iniesta and the unintentional assist to Messi. In my opinion, only the cross to Messi (which was again nothing special) was the only thing that could be considered as 'chances created'.

I hate how stats have taken the most meaningless of passes and elevated them to some special status just because the person at the end of the pass took a shot.

JamDav1982

I meant the 3 chances today. I remember a cross to Messi, a square pass to Iniesta and the unintentional assist to Messi. In my opinion, only the cross to Messi (which was again nothing special) was the only thing that could be considered as 'chances created'.

I hate how stats have taken the most meaningless of passes and elevated them to some special status just because the person at the end of the pass took a shot.

Of course there will be moments when a short pass turns into an assist or chance but its not luck that the same players top these charts as you need more than luck to do that.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
My problem with Suarez isn't so much that X number of players can do better than him, but that he himself can do a lot better. His passing and dribbling isn't anywhere near as sharp (and don't give me the BS with "La Liga players are built to take on dribblers") and his finishing has been a lot worse than Neymar's first season.

footyfan

Calma, calma
No way getting Benzema, Aguero, Higuain, Rooney or Cavani for 30m. Not even close.

Suarez is in a different league to Diego Costa and Lewandowski had already agreed to go to Bayern.

You havent named one striker available for 30m that can do what Suarez does.

Sorry, but I never said that a striker available for 30M can do what Suarez does. I said that any 30M+ striker could've made the runs that Suarez made today.

The high regard that I hold Suarez in can be clearly evidenced from my previous posts on this thread, I'm just saying he's nowhere close to his level.

JamDav1982

My problem with Suarez isn't so much that X number of players can do better than him, but that he himself can do a lot better. His passing and dribbling isn't anywhere near as sharp (and don't give me the BS with "La Liga players are built to take on dribblers") and his finishing has been a lot worse than Neymar's first season.

Of course his finishing should be better and he will know that but his all round game has still made a big difference to the team even allowing for some poor finishing.

JamDav1982

Sorry, but I never said that a striker available for 30M can do what Suarez does. I said that any 30M+ striker could've made the runs that Suarez made today.

The high regard that I hold Suarez in can be clearly evidenced from my previous posts on this thread, I'm just saying he's nowhere close to his level.

None of the strikers you named work as hard as Suarez or are as unselfish as he is.

Not much point in saying 'any 30m+ striker' when you are talking about players that would be 60m/70m/80m.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

So what? In what universe does that have anything to do with the statement "could've made the runs he made today".

I don't get what you're trying to say.

Work rate and his constant movement opening up channels for Messi and Neymar and a lot of these runs are unselfish as he is not doing it for his own benefit.

Thats why in this universe his work rate and unselfishness is helping his team mates.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Obviously, there are not many metrics for "working hard" but here are some defensive stats comparison. I'd say Cavani is probably the most accurate comparison as PSG has about the same amount of possession and style as Barca.

dr8760.png

footyfan

Calma, calma
Work rate and his constant movement opening up channels for Messi and Neymar and a lot of these runs are unselfish as he is not doing it for his own benefit.

Thats why in this universe his work rate and unselfishness is helping his team mates.

This literally could be said about Alexis since 2011.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion as I've made my point.

JamDav1982

Obviously, there are not many metrics for "working hard" but here are some defensive stats comparison. I'd say Cavani is probably the most accurate comparison as PSG has about the same amount of possession and style as Barca.

dr8760.png

Cavani plays nothing like Suarez and is not as good as him.

Doesnt make the runs that Suarez does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans