9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Eto'o didn't have a peak Messi taking up space in the middle. Ronaldinho demanded a lot of the ball but was content waiting away from the middle and only would cut in with the ball on his feet. You put peak Eto'o on this team and he'd probably have forced his way out like Zlatan and Villa. Suarez is an unorthodox enough player that he just might be willing to be the third wheel in that front 3. Eto'o was much more an orthodox number 9 during the best years of his career.

Eto'o was awesome, but it's time to get over it.

Zinedinho

Eto'o didn't have a peak Messi taking up space in the middle. Ronaldinho demanded a lot of the ball but was content waiting away from the middle and only would cut in with the ball on his feet. You put peak Eto'o on this team and he'd probably have forced his way out like Zlatan and Villa. Suarez is an unorthodox enough player that he just might be willing to be the third wheel in that front 3. Eto'o was much more an orthodox number 9 during the best years of his career.

Agreed. Add to that that circumstances vary and now, fueled by recent failures, there have been tactical changes. Suárez is a world class player with great movements and a real threat as a striker, and now Messi and Neymar are the wingers who take advantage of the space Suárez creates. Also, it looks like they're swapping positions more often, which makes our attack more unpredictable.

The intrinsic value of a player and his legend status are different things. I'm not suggesting that Suárez is going to surpass Eto'o as a Barça legend. That's unlikely because Eto'o was part of some of the best years in the history of this club. What I'm saying is that, while Suárez has some of the mental qualities that made Eto'o so competitive, in addition to that he is a more skilled player. We can all agree to disagree, but that's my opinion based on my observation.

Neymessi

RevoTeller

I agree with this and, as I said, Suarez is world class (the best in his role as far as I'm concerned, when on form).
Also, Eto'o is a legend for us and I surely got over it, simply I think he was being underestimated a lot since he was much more than only "hunger".
Finally to put the last word on this Suarez-Eto'o comparison, while Luis movements off the ball are great, Eto'o's to me were even better (he is still the best I saw in that regard, and those kinds of movements require high football IQ); still, I think it's fantastic the we are comparing again Eto'o to our current forward, indeed it means we are going in the right direction: Suarez is perfect for Barça. ;)

Galaxyman

While Suarez is clearly a great player and the best striker in the world if on form, I disagree regarding Eto'o.
Samuel Eto'o has been the best forward on the planet for years not only because of his hunger or physical skills, but also because he was class with his feet, an extremely smart and ductile player and, above all, a big game player; he was so sharp, so focused.
I believe that Suarez at his best (and still we have not seen this) is a better player than Eto'o (and this speaks volume of how really good Suarez could be) but I don't think that for now Suarez's name can be mentioned alongside Eto'o's in the same sentence, since Samuel proved so much in football; still, Luis has plenty of time left in order to catch that level, and for him and Barça I really hope he'll do that.

(Hey guys. New here)

Dude, you're talking about Suarez as if he's Kenny Miller. What do you mean "can't be mentioned in the same sentence as Eto'o?)" Well, sure only in "Barcelona lore" (and yes, the player who played there for 5 seasons...will obviously have a higher rate of success than a guy who just completed his 3rd month here).

Luis Suarez has an insane resume. In international football, you can't even compare Eto'o to Suarez. Suarez, at 28, is the top scorer of all-time for Uruguay (an iconic football nation with like 120 + years of history of the highest level). He won the last Copa America AND won 'player of the tournament', outplaying Neymar, Messi (the greatest player of all-time) and Falcao (at their peaks, playing on superior sides). He basically became "Maradona reincarnated", carrying Liverpool for like 3 years, breaking record after record on his own. And, on top of being a World Cup semi finalist (as, honestly, one of the best players of the tournament. I remember him being awesome all tournament), and what he did vs. England at the last World Cup was ...actually insane. Like "Maradona" level of legendary. (And I'm Argentinian, so I don't use that lightly.) I've never seen Eto'o show that level of determination. In fact, Eto'o's World Cup performances have always been kind of duds. He like shrunk whenever Cameroon was being outplayed (his worse performance probably vs. Japan in 2010. I was really pulling for him.).

Eto'o? Well, the 2 African Cups are impressive. At the world cup though, his resume is actually pretty unimpressive:
- 2002: Completely ineffective. Scored 1 goal vs...Saudi Arabia.
- 2006: Did not qualify. (To be fair, Cameroon lost out to that decent Ivory Coast side).
- 2010: Eliminated Group Phase (a lucky goal vs. Denmark and penalty vs. Netherlands. Another weak performance.)
- 2014: Eliminated Group Phase (To be fair, he was way past his prime).

We all know how great Eto'o was. But Suarez no scrub (especially compared to Eto'o).

RevoTeller

(Hey guys. New here)

Dude, you're talking about Suarez as if he's Kenny Miller. What do you mean "can't be mentioned in the same sentence as Eto'o?)" Well, sure only in "Barcelona lore" (and yes, the player who played there for 5 seasons...will obviously have a higher rate of success than a guy who just completed his 3rd month here).

Luis Suarez has an insane resume. In international football, you can't even compare Eto'o to Suarez. Suarez, at 28, is the top scorer of all-time for Uruguay (an iconic football nation with like 120 + years of history of the highest level). He won the last Copa America AND won 'player of the tournament', outplaying Neymar, Messi (the greatest player of all-time) and Falcao (at their peaks, playing on superior sides). He basically became "Maradona reincarnated", carrying Liverpool for like 3 years, breaking record after record on his own. And, on top of being a World Cup semi finalist (as, honestly, one of the best players of the tournament. I remember him being awesome all tournament), and what he did vs. England at the last World Cup was ...actually insane. Like "Maradona" level of legendary. (And I'm Argentinian, so I don't use that lightly.) I've never seen Eto'o show that level of determination. In fact, Eto'o's World Cup performances have always been kind of duds. He like shrunk whenever Cameroon was being outplayed (his worse performance probably vs. Japan in 2010. I was really pulling for him.).

Eto'o? Well, the 2 African Cups are impressive. At the world cup though, his resume is actually pretty unimpressive:
- 2002: Completely ineffective. Scored 1 goal vs...Saudi Arabia.
- 2006: Did not qualify. (To be fair, Cameroon lost out to that decent Ivory Coast side).
- 2010: Eliminated Group Phase (a lucky goal vs. Denmark and penalty vs. Netherlands. Another weak performance.)
- 2014: Eliminated Group Phase (To be fair, he was way past his prime).

We all know how great Eto'o was. But Suarez no scrub (especially compared to Eto'o).

Hello Galaxyman, thanks for your reply, but I think you should read better what I wrote: indeed, as you can see, I stated that I consider Suarez the best striker in the world, and, when in his peak form, probably even better than Eto'o was.
If saying something like this about Suarez is like talking about him as if he's Kenny Miller, then the latter Kenny must be a true legend of the game.

EdmondDantes

I know I'm gonna get flak for this but does anyone else think he could do with shedding 5 pounds or so? He looked leaner elsewhere and I think it would make him a lot more mobile. I know his BF is probably low so he would have to lose some muscle mass too.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
I know I'm gonna get flak for this but does anyone else think he could do with shedding 5 pounds or so? He looked leaner elsewhere and I think it would make him a lot more mobile. I know his BF is probably low so he would have to lose some muscle mass too.

He looked leaner elsewhere? Probably yes. Should he shed pounds? Not in my opinion, as he is the only physical threat in our attack...

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

_75661187_suarez_mm_getty.jpg

Luis-Suarez-Barcelona.jpg

LuisSuarez-TGJ.02-compressor.jpg

Don't think he put on weight per se, but I think the cut/fit of the Nike/Puma jerseys are different than that of Warrior/NB. He's definitely a lot more physically imposing than he was when he first arrived in England in the 10/11 season.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
When he was celebrating after his goal against levante, slightly walking he looked like 1000 pounds to me. But the weight is not affecting his game so i don't mind it.

klc123

Supposedly he gained a couple pounds during his ban, and he has been working to lose it. According to guillem balague anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans