Status
Not open for further replies.

jj_101

Suarez vs Evra and Chiellini lol

[vine][/vine]
41367248624_freesize-645x325.jpg

Galaxyman

Let me start the "Will evra shake his hand?" posts :p

Personally, I think this is a nightmare. I was more afraid of Madrid than Juve. But, damn it, the world media is going to have a field day with this. They're going to push the (beyond beaten to death) "Evra incident" debate down our throats. And show the Chiellini bite replay on loop 24/7 for the next 3 weeks. Focussing the entire build up on Suarez. It's exactly what Suarez and Barcelona didn't need right now.

Not to bring up a touchy subject, but can someone explain the Suarez/Evra thing exactly? From what I learned Suarez used a word commonly used in Uruguay that doesnt have negative connotations or something like that?

Hidz

Not to bring up a touchy subject, but can someone explain the Suarez/Evra thing exactly? From what I learned Suarez used a word commonly used in Uruguay that doesnt have negative connotations or something like that?

The only thing i know is that Evra is just a little cry baby. I dont know wat Suarez told him, but Evra was the one holding his hand back at the return.
Provocing Suarez after the match by celebrating in front of him. I hate Evra since this incident.

So this is payback time. Unleash the beast(in the positive way ;))

Come on Luis!

Stric

If I'm not mistaken, Suarez addressed Evra with "negrito", which is apparently a term of endearment where he comes from, but Evra took it as a racist insult.

If I'm not mistaken, Suarez addressed Evra with "negrito", which is apparently a term of endearment where he comes from, but Evra took it as a racist insult.

Okay, well ik any word that sounds even remotely close to the n-word can be a landmine depending on the person. I always wondered cause Suarez never seemed to have any problems with Sturridge/Sterling/Toure and he doesn't seem to have a problems with Neymar/Alves/Rafinha and I'm sure Alves would have gone ballistic if he felt there was something off about him.

raskolnikov

Okay, well ik any word that sounds even remotely close to the n-word can be a landmine depending on the person. I always wondered cause Suarez never seemed to have any problems with Sturridge/Sterling/Toure and he doesn't seem to have a problems with Neymar/Alves/Rafinha and I'm sure Alves would have gone ballistic if he felt there was something off about him.
Suarez isnt a racist, its more of him saying racist things to get under his skin, if its actually true and not overblown.
Also Evra is a cunt.

Galaxyman

Well, I'm Spanish, and I feel that the designation Suarez used universal in practically every spanish speaking country. I was actually pretty fascinated by this case, so I read up on the "FA Report" and the actual facts about the case (instead of reading both sides of the unbearable Man Utd vs. Liverpool camps).

:arrow2: These are the facts of the case:
- Suarez and Evra got really heated during that 1-1 game at Anfield. (very personal. Fouls/insults, etc)
- In the 2nd half, there was an incident in the area (during a corner or something) where Suarez and Evra insulted each other.
- At the end of the game, Ferguson practically forced Evra to report Luis Suarez for "racism".

:arrow2: Facts against Luis Suarez
- Suarez looked furious during the exchange. So it probably wasn't a term of indearment.
- Suarez admitted to using "negro" or "negrito" once.
- This in England (where it's such a hot topic, that "context" doesn't even enter into the equation) was enough to ban him.

:arrow2: Facts against Patrice Evra
- His testimony changed so many times that it was eventually thrown out of the FA court.
- Evra essentially said that Suarez had called him "n*gger" 4-5 times. Then, he changed it to 9-10x. When challenged, he said "it's a figure of speech".
- Then, on a later date, Evra changed it again, saying that Suarez had not called him "n*gger" at all...but in fact said "I don't speak to blacks".
- A Spanish interpreter challenged Evra's testimony. Why? Evra quoted the interaction as being this (exactly):
*Note: It's important that this exchange happened 100% in Spanish, a language that Evra is barely capable of speaking according to the Spanish interpreter in the case, and Suarez himself in his autobiography.

:arrow2:Exchange (according to Evra):
EVRA: (paraphrasing) "Why did you hit me?! I'm going to hit you back"
SUAREZ: (exact quote) "Porque tu eres negro!". Translates to: "Because you are black!"

- The Spanish interpreter noted (as will anyone on earth who speaks Spanish), that the phrase "Tu eres negro", is the English equivalent to "Because thou art Black". It's so hilariously antiquated and over the top formal, that you know Luis Suarez (or anyone) would never have said that.
- The language experts decreed that Suarez probably said: "Porque negro?" (as if saying: "Why are you saying this, negro?")
- These linguists also said that it's extremely likely that (especially being right in front of the Kop) that Evra (with this extremely basic Spanish) completely misunderstood what Suarez meant to say.
- Also the witnesses that were immediately next to Luis Suarez & Evra (included: Dirk Kuyt and even Man Utd Spanish goalkeeper De Gea) said that they heard no racist language or tone during the argument.
- There's also the commonly told bit about Evra calling Suarez a "Sudaca" (South American equivalent to "n*gger"), but I can't find an official source to back that up.

From a Spanish perspective
Anyone who is hispanic (or knows our culture) will tell you that calling a black person "negro" is: 1. definitely a term of endearment (very commonly, and IMO this is not 100% understood in anglo cultures). But, most importantly: 2. It can be said even in any angry argument without it having any racist implication. It's only racist if you include an insult after.

My personal opinion? (What's yours?)

It seems that Luis Suarez lost his head in an argument. Dropped the word "negro", and Ferguson/Evra ran with it with everything they had. Suarez had no backup from the media, was forced to defend himself in an independent (and inexperienced in such matters) court in a language that he barely knew. Essentially, he was convicted because he was dumb enough to admit he uttered the word "negro" (against all advice from Liverpool's lawyers), and that's all the FA needed to ban him.

Personally, after doing my research, I think Suarez might be the least racist footballer alive:
1- He was 1 of the only footballer (at the 2010 FIFA World Cup) to volunteer his time for those "motivate the African youth" documentaries they were filming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLt5sMc4wU
2- His relationship with players of all races is well documented. They love him. 1 of the most interesting gestures was seeing his ex- Ajax teammate embrace Luis so happily when they met in the EPL (and this was DURING the Evra scandal). Image speaks volumes.
vytd8n.jpg

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Yeah thats the thing that always got me.... Suarez was made out to be a liar in the whole situation but if he had just denied the whole thing nothing could have come of it.

He only got done for anything as he was honest about the term he used.

mark1nhu

Well, I'm Spanish, and I feel that the designation Suarez used universal in practically every spanish speaking country. I was actually pretty fascinated by this case, so I read up on the "FA Report" and the actual facts about the case (instead of reading both sides of the unbearable Man Utd vs. Liverpool camps).

- Suarez and Evra got really heated during that 1-1 game at Anfield. (very personal. Fouls/insults, etc)
- In the 2nd half, there was an incident in the area (during a corner or something) where Suarez and Evra insulted each other.
- At the end of the game, Ferguson practically forced Evra to report Luis Suarez for "racism".

:arrow2: Facts against Luis Suarez
- Suarez looked furious during the exchange. So it probably wasn't a term of indearment.
- This in England (where it's such a hot topic, that "context" doesn't even enter into the equation) was enough to ban him.

- His testimony changed so many times that it was eventually thrown out of the FA court.
- Evra essentially said that Suarez had called him "n*gger" 4-5 times. Then, he changed it to 9-10x. When challenged, he said "it's a figure of speech".
- Then, on a later date, Evra changed it again, saying that Suarez had not called him "n*gger" at all...but in fact said "I don't speak to blacks".
- A Spanish interpreter challenged Evra's testimony. Why? Evra quoted the interaction as being this (exactly):
*Note: It's important that this exchange happened 100% in Spanish, a language that Evra is barely capable of speaking according to the Spanish interpreter in the case, and Suarez himself in his autobiography.

SUAREZ: (exact quote) "Porque tu eres negro!". Translates to: "Because you are black!"

- The Spanish interpreter noted (as will anyone on earth who speaks Spanish), that the phrase "Tu eres negro", is the English equivalent to "Because thou art Black". It's so hilariously antiquated and over the top formal, that you know Luis Suarez (or anyone) would never have said that.
- The language experts decreed that Suarez probably said: "Porque negro?" (as if saying: "Why are you saying this, negro?")
- These linguists also said that it's extremely likely that (especially being right in front of the Kop) that Evra (with this extremely basic Spanish) completely misunderstood what Suarez meant to say.
- Also the witnesses that were immediately next to Luis Suarez & Evra (included: Dirk Kuyt and even Man Utd Spanish goalkeeper De Gea) said that they heard no racist language or tone during the argument.
- There's also the commonly told bit about Evra calling Suarez a "Sudaca" (South American equivalent to "n*gger"), but I can't find an official source to back that up.

Anyone who is hispanic (or knows our culture) will tell you that calling a black person "negro" is: 1. definitely a term of endearment (very commonly, and IMO this is not 100% understood in anglo cultures). But, most importantly: 2. It can be said even in any angry argument without it having any racist implication. It's only racist if you include an insult after.

It seems that Luis Suarez lost his head in an argument. Dropped the word "negro", and Ferguson/Evra ran with it with everything they had. Suarez had no backup from the media, was forced to defend himself in an independent (and inexperienced in such matters) court in a language that he barely knew. Essentially, he was convicted because he was dumb enough to admit he uttered the word "negro" (against all advice from Liverpool's lawyers), and that's all the FA needed to ban him.

Personally, after doing my research, I think Suarez might be the least racist footballer alive:
1- He was 1 of the only footballer (at the 2010 FIFA World Cup) to volunteer his time for those "motivate the African youth" documentaries they were filming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLt5sMc4wU
2- His relationship with players of all races is well documented. They love him. 1 of the most interesting gestures was seeing his ex- Ajax teammate embrace Luis so happily when they met in the EPL (and this was DURING the Evra scandal). Image speaks volumes.
vytd8n.jpg

Thank you for this explanation.

I considered Luisito guilty when he admitted to use the word "negro", but I didn't know about the common use of the word in Spanish (I am Brazilian, we talk Portuguese and we never use the "negro" word to an actual black person).

Now I feel good to love Luisito without any restriction.

; )

G

Gasgas

Facts against Luis Suarez

Very well organized points. BBZ will be proud :pep:
But I do believe the whole thing was blown out of proportion and it was even exaggerated further by the rivalry between Man Utd and liverpool.
Time for proving doubters wrong. :suarez:

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Evra was asked about it and said there's no bad blood, he'll shake his hand just like any other player.

But there's no way to avoid it, this is Evra/Chiellini/Suarez threesome is the only storyline the media can use for final build up, so expect to read all about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans