9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1nhu

None but Messi is Messi class, you really should stop saying stuff like comparable to teh goat

He is right, peak Ronaldo from Barcelona was surely Messi level. You either didn't watch him on his peak or you are really closing your eyes to reality.

The point is Messi managed to sustain that level for more than a decade, while Ronaldo didn't.

That's the reason Messi is way above Ronaldo or anyone. Because of all "Messi level players", he is the most natural and consistent of all.

If you watched Ronaldo on his peak, then you should really stop closing your eyes to reality just because you love (deservedly) our GOAT.

mark1nhu

I love Suarez and I was stating long before we signed him that he'd be my number one signing for upfront and moving Messi to the RW (even when people were calling me an idiot for suggesting it, "why move Messi from the center when he scores a ton of goals there", I believe was their argument). I was truly overwhelmed with joy when we signed him, much like when we signed Neymar- I still can't believe how lucky I am to have them both at Barca...

...however, comparing Suarez to Ronaldo de Lima...sorry man! There is no striker like Suarez on the planet right now, he's fantastic. There has never been a striker like Ronaldo though. His creativeness for teammates was underrated too, but no one has had the body, speed and flair while being as effective as he was. I hope I get to watch another player like him in my lifetime, and that his peak doesn't get cut short after 2.5 years due to injury and health issues. We've been lucky enough to watch geniuses like Ronaldinho and Messi (GOAT) in the meantime, who happen to be on our favorite team (mine at least).

I honestly rate Romário above Ronaldo. Just a little bit, but still above.

Anyway, both were geniuses.

Galaxyman

The point is Messi managed to sustain that level for more than a decade, while Ronaldo didn't.

That's it. You nailed it. Ronaldo lacked longevity. While I am actually baffled at Suarez's ability to perform at this incredible level (no matter what league, or how weak his team is) for ...what...7 years now?

- Anyone remember Suarez's insane 49 goals in 48 games in 2009 with Ajax? Funny enough, that actually surpassed Ronaldo de Lima's incredible record of 35 in 36 matches.

- In international football, Suarez is a living legend. At 29 years old, & despite his 2 year ban, he's already the top-scorer of 1 of the most iconic football nations ever with like 110+ years of history at the top level. That's an amazing feat, guys.

Ronaldo was amazing. But the only thing that saves him from being compared to Van Basten (in terms of massive unfulfilled potential) is the 2002 World Cup win.

Unlike Ronaldo, Suarez is never injured. His ability to heal was once described by Liverpool's physicians as "near super-human" and "rare". I'd honestly choose Suarez over Ronaldo. And it's not his longevity alone. I mean, Ronaldo was already a walrus by the time he was Suarez's age now (while Suarez keeps improving). It's Luis's incredible ability to perform on the biggest matches time and time again, at any level.

I've seen Ronaldo at his peak. And I think Suarez has the ability to be remembered at the same level.

Last edited:

Tiny Kim

I've seen Ronaldo at his peak. And I think Suarez has the ability to be remembered at the same level.

I wouldn't go quite that far myself. I love Suarez. He's one of the main reasons I've been watching so many Liverpool and Barcelona games. But IMO, Ronaldo de Lima is still the best striker I have ever laid my eyes on by quite a stretch. If it wasn't for his 3 career-threatening injuries (and some supposed laziness), he'd be the benchmark for Messi and Cristiano, not Pele or Maradona.

The thing with Suarez is, he's definitely not as technically and physically gifted as someone like Messi, Ronaldo(both) or Neymar. But he has an abundance of mental strength and footballing brain on the field. That, in my opinion, is what sets him apart from most other world class players. He thinks one or two steps ahead of most other players, but often lack the technical finesse (and natural skills) or physical pace to execute them properly. If he had Cristiano's physical and technical attributes, he'd be the one competing with Messi for the "Best Ever In History" label.

Barcilliant

I honestly rate Romário above Ronaldo. Just a little bit, but still above.

Anyway, both were geniuses.

Romario was more of a poacher but probably the best pure goal poacher ever. Sharp as a cobra in the box,rarely missed.

The original Ronaldo had it all but injuries really deprived us fans of his peak. A fantastic player and talent wise on Messi's level.

RevoTeller

Don't know what is going on in this thread, but let's try to bring some order in, ok?

- Don't know if the user who said this was serious (hope not, of course), but Suarez is not even close to be a leg of what pre-injury Ronaldo de Lima used to be.

- Romario was far superior as well.

- Suarez as deadly as Eto'o in the box? Ok, but people don't remember that, before his knee injury, Eto'o used to play everywhere up front, and he was beast also on the wings if required (see 2005 and 2006, and 2011 season with Inter Milan).

I wouldn't go quite that far myself. I love Suarez. He's one of the main reasons I've been watching so many Liverpool and Barcelona games. But IMO, Ronaldo de Lima is still the best striker I have ever laid my eyes on by quite a stretch. If it wasn't for his 3 career-threatening injuries (and some supposed laziness), he'd be the benchmark for Messi and Cristiano, not Pele or Maradona.

Are you really saying that Cristiano is ahead of Pelé, Maradona and Ronaldo de Lima as a football player or am I the one who is misunderstanding what you wrote?
I hope it is the second one.

Football isn't born in 2008 guys.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Where are all those people who said we dont need a proper CF?

EVERY team in football needs a CF. Not all are the same. Suarez is a very well rounded player similar to Eto who suits us beautifully. The constant threat he poses gives unbalances opposition sides.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Ronaldo was better than Romario, sorry. In my opinion, Ronaldo was at Messi's level. As others have noted, injuries are what prevented him from putting up the sort of consistency and numbers Messi has. He is the best pure 9 of all time in my opinion. There are a number of players who float in between players of Messi and Pele's caliber and players like Suarez, who for one reason or another, isn't rated quite as highly as others but is also at a level that is better than merely world class. Players like Bergkamp, Van Basten, Henry, Landrup, Cantona, Baggio, Kaka, Zico. I'd put Suarez in with those sort of players.

Suarez isn't quite at Romario's level, though. Neymar is.

Tiny Kim

Don't know what is going on in this thread, but let's try to bring some order in, ok?

- Don't know if the user who said this was serious (hope not, of course), but Suarez is not even close to be a leg of what pre-injury Ronaldo de Lima used to be.

- Romario was far superior as well.

- Suarez as deadly as Eto'o in the box? Ok, but people don't remember that, before his knee injury, Eto'o used to play everywhere up front, and he was beast also on the wings if required (see 2005 and 2006, and 2011 season with Inter Milan).

Are you really saying that Cristiano is ahead of Pelé, Maradona and Ronaldo de Lima as a football player or am I the one who is misunderstanding what you wrote?
I hope it is the second one.

Football isn't born in 2008 guys.

I have no idea what you're so worked up about. Is it because of my last post or the posts in this thread in general?

Also, Ronaldo de Lima happens to be my all-time favourite player. But you don't need to use over-the-top phrases like "not even better than the left leg of" to make your point.

And what I meant by that statement was that Pele and Maradona are the ultimate benchmarks for current and future world class players. And if Ronaldo de Lima hadn't had those massive injuries, his name would be unquestionably placed alongside (or perhaps even higher than) those two. Nowhere did I say that Cristiano is better than Pele, Maradona or Ronaldo de Lima.

And please, stop using that last line. Its been used to death by teenagers(and some older people) trying to sound grown-up and knowledgeable on the internet. Its juvenile and cringe worthy.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Ronaldo was better than Romario, sorry. In my opinion, Ronaldo was at Messi's level. As others have noted, injuries are what prevented him from putting up the sort of consistency and numbers Messi has. He is the best pure 9 of all time in my opinion. There are a number of players who float in between players of Messi and Pele's caliber and players like Suarez, who for one reason or another, isn't rated quite as highly as others but is also at a level that is better than merely world class. Players like Bergkamp, Van Basten, Henry, Landrup, Cantona, Baggio, Kaka, Zico. I'd put Suarez in with those sort of players.

Suarez isn't quite at Romario's level, though. Neymar is.

I don't agree with criminally underrating van basten. The guy won 3 ballons, was plagued by injuries and stopped football at the age of 28, all while competing with romario, young batistuta and baggio. He is above the players you put him with.
Imo he competes for the best striker ever title with ronaldo and batistuta, from the players I've seen at least.

RevoTeller

I have no idea what you're so worked up about. Is it because of my last post or the posts in this thread in general?

Also, Ronaldo de Lima happens to be my all-time favourite player. But you don't need to use over-the-top phrases like "not even better than the left leg of" to make your point.

And what I meant by that statement was that Pele and Maradona are the ultimate benchmarks for current and future world class players. And if Ronaldo de Lima hadn't had those massive injuries, his name would be unquestionably placed alongside (or perhaps even higher than) those two. Nowhere did I say that Cristiano is better than Pele, Maradona or Ronaldo de Lima.

And please, stop using that last line. Its been used to death by teenagers(and some older people) trying to sound grown-up and knowledgeable on the internet. Its juvenile and cringe worthy.

I'm not worked up.

It's not an over the top phrase: Suarez is still not a leg of pre-injury Ronaldo, quite literally. How many goals that Ronaldo would have scored with this Messi feeding him and this current Barça system? Too many to be counted.

Regarding that statement, I am the one who understood bad what you meant. That's why I asked you, because I wanted to be sure. I agree with you on this completely.

It may be cringe worthy, but it's the truth: for too many people on the internet it seems that football is just born less than 10 years ago, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans