9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
His health issues were very much a part of Ronaldo as a player. As such, Suarez, holistically, is a better player than Ronaldo da Lima. R9 had more talent than Suarez, sure, but he wasn't able to fully realize it because his physical being wasn't up to par with that talent.

Galaxyman

Think this new Marca.com article adds some light on the Suarez vs. Ronaldo debate.
*To non-Spanish speakers, "Marca" is 1 of Spain's most read football publications.

Summary: the article uses "goals to games" average to compare every striker in Barcelona history. It states that Suarez has surpassed them all, but not yet Ronaldo. However, it clarifies that, this year, Suarez is actually surpassing Ronaldo's (incredible) 0.95 goal to game average; Suarez is at 0.98.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2016/02/01/56af1e76ca47410f298b459b.html

So, basically, he's currently playing at a Ronaldo's level; with 1 of the comments below pointing out that Suarez's assist rate is far superior to R de Lima's.

Glad to clear that one up.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Suarez (as frustrating as he can be sometimes) is playing at a stellar level this season :worthy:

Think this new Marca.com article adds some light on the Suarez vs. Ronaldo debate.
*To non-Spanish speakers, "Marca" is 1 of Spain's most read football publications.

Summary: the article uses "goals to games" average to compare every striker in Barcelona history. It states that Suarez has surpassed them all, but not yet Ronaldo. However, it clarifies that, this year, Suarez is actually surpassing Ronaldo's (incredible) 0.95 goal to game average; Suarez is at 0.98.

So, basically, he's currently playing at a Ronaldo's level; with 1 of the comments below pointing out that Suarez's assist rate is far superior to R de Lima's.

1. Most people on BarcaForum know already what Marca is, and they aren't some great holy publication.

2. Yes, he's played at Ronaldo's goal scoring rate for a MONTH. You're comparing an entire season's worth of that Ronaldo to a month of Suarez to justify your argument that he's been playing that Ronaldo's level.

Are you serious in trying to use a month's GPG to say that a player is playing in Messi/Pele/Ronaldo level?

And Suarez' assist rate is also helped massively by the fact that he's surrounded by the GOAT and the best Brazillian player since Ronaldinho.

Vlom

It's not a month mate, it's the entire 2015-2016 season so far, so if he keeps it up, it's definitely comparable to R9's stats.

El Flaco

What's the assist rate for Suárez and Ronaldo according to the comment?

I'd be great to know that for us non-Spanish speakers.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma

You didn't clear anything up.

Galaxyman

1. Most people on BarcaForum know already what Marca is, and they aren't some great holy publication.

2. Yes, he's played at Ronaldo's goal scoring rate for a MONTH. You're comparing an entire season's worth of that Ronaldo to a month of Suarez to justify your argument that he's been playing that Ronaldo's level.

Are you serious in trying to use a month's GPG to say that a player is playing in Messi/Pele/Ronaldo level?

And Suarez' assist rate is also helped massively by the fact that he's surrounded by the GOAT and the best Brazillian player since Ronaldinho.

Just by your first sentence alone, I could tell you were dismissive before you even read 1 word on that article. "Holy publication"? I didn't know "widely-read" translated to that.

And comparing Ronaldo with Maradona and Pelé? My God.

Just by your first sentence alone, I could tell you were dismissive before you even read 1 word on that article. "Holy publication"? I didn't know "widely-read" translated to that.

And comparing Ronaldo with Maradona and Pelé? My God.

Wow. Let me explain this again to to understand what I said.

We all know what Marca is, and it's not that much of a reliable source for news. Anyway, since it is a statistical argument, I don't want to dwell much deeper into this. Anyway, "most read football publication" doesn't make a news source highly credible. For eg: The Sun is the most read newspaper in England. Does it make it a highly recommended source?

And secondly, I wasn't trying to even remotely get into the Suarez vs. Ronaldo argument in the first place. I was just highlighting the major flaws in your argument.

I was highlighting your claim that Suarez has had a better GPG ratio THIS YEAR "However, it clarifies that, this year, Suarez is actually surpassing Ronaldo's (incredible) 0.95 goal to game average; Suarez is at 0.98", as a bad argument. When you say this year, you mean 2016. Unless you're from the future, Only one month of 2016 has passed. How on earth can you say that a player is playing at X's level because of one month's performances. If you're taking a month's performances and saying it that way, Vardy was playing better than Ronaldo from October-November 2015. I find it funny how you ignore the crux of the point and decide to focus on who I compared Ronaldo to.

If you say Suarez this SEASON has been playing at Ronaldo's level (when he was at Barcelona), then I understand the argument. However, we must keep in mind the season is nowhere near over.

And ofc, players who play in a better team get more assists. Eg: Oezil al Madrid avg. 0.51 assists per game while at Arsenal he's averaged 0.31 assists a game, is what I said.

If you think I'm a Suarez hater, you're greatly mistaken. There's no other No. 9 I'd like on this team right now.

Last edited:

Vlom

Waw, all this because he said "this year" instead of "this season" ... because the 0.97 goals/game for Suarez is for the 2015/16 SEASON as shown in the graphs from the article.

Way to go too deep into semantics bro.

Waw, all this because he said "this year" instead of "this season" ... because the 0.97 goals/game for Suarez is for the 2015/16 SEASON as shown in the graphs from the article.

Way to go too deep into semantics bro.

Forgive me, I didn't see your post before.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Having a marginally better goals per game ratio doesn't mean Suarez is playing at Ronaldo's level. Firstly, as we all know, goal stats aren't the be all end all of football. Secondly, there is no consideration made for the types of goals scored. Thirdly, the quality of the team around them and the strength of the league are not taken into context.

For instance, Ronaldo played only 1 season at Barca and that was 96/97. Here are Barca's total goals scored in that time period:

La Liga 94/95: 60
La Liga 95/96: 72
La Liga 96/97: 102 (Ronaldo's season)
La Liga 97/98: 78
La Liga 98/99: 87

Meanwhile, Suarez came to a Barca that has the best player of all time, one of the best midfielders of all time and a soon-to-be football legend.

La Liga 11/12: 114
La Liga 12/13: 115
La Liga 13/14: 100
La Liga 14/15: 110 (Suarez 1st season)
La Liga 15/16: 98 (projected) (Suarez 2nd season)

Clearly, Ronaldo must have done something right to improve Barca's goal scoring so significantly. The number of goals scored immediately fell back down when he left for Inter. On the other hand, Suarez already came into a stacked team. The point is, you can't just use goals per game as a meaningful indicator of quality without putting it in context. Suarez's assist stats are better but this can simply be explained by how football has changed. Most assists nowadays are made by forwards because of how build-up responsibilities are dispersed within the teams (look at La Liga assist stats over the past 5 seasons). To Suarez's credit, he has to deal with packed defences a lot more than Ronaldo had to and that makes his job harder. It's these packed defences that lead to midfielders mostly focussing on rotating the ball and finding opportunities to release the assist man, not the goalscorer. However, overall, I believe that the strength of the team he plays in not only negates that obstacle but also puts him at a great advantage in relation to Ronaldo.

Beyond statistics, it is clear to almost anyone who has seen both players who is better.

[youtube]NjrK8JH8ODo[/youtube]

[youtube]yaTtPcYXFmE[/youtube]

[youtube]qbkEFaBp5AQ[/youtube]

Sure, they are just youtube videos, but they definitely show that Suarez has never reached prime Ronaldo's level.

Last edited:

Co0ter

The first video gave me chills and they don't even include a fraction of his amazing goals. Great memories.

The guy could dribble, fake and shoot with both feet unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans