9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kragod

Leaving the stupid dispute of which one is better, Ronaldo or Luis, here is a little insight of maybe why he is a monster on the field:

"Basically, the theory goes, anything that threatens his ability to score, and win, isn't processed in his subconscious as the act of a sportsman but, rather, as an act of aggression against his wife and his children. Watching him play certainly supports the idea because, when a defender presses close, Suarez doesn't respond as if the man is trying to take the ball. He reacts as if the defender is trying to send him back to the streets of Montevideo, alone."

mark1nhu

Having a marginally better goals per game ratio doesn't mean Suarez is playing at Ronaldo's level. Firstly, as we all know, goal stats aren't the be all end all of football. Secondly, there is no consideration made for the types of goals scored. Thirdly, the quality of the team around them and the strength of the league are not taken into context.

For instance, Ronaldo played only 1 season at Barca and that was 96/97. Here are Barca's total goals scored in that time period:

La Liga 94/95: 60
La Liga 95/96: 72
La Liga 96/97: 102 (Ronaldo's season)
La Liga 97/98: 78
La Liga 98/99: 87

Meanwhile, Suarez came to a Barca that has the best player of all time, one of the best midfielders of all time and a soon-to-be football legend.

La Liga 11/12: 114
La Liga 12/13: 115
La Liga 13/14: 100
La Liga 14/15: 110 (Suarez 1st season)
La Liga 15/16: 98 (projected) (Suarez 2nd season)

Clearly, Ronaldo must have done something right to improve Barca's goal scoring so significantly. The number of goals scored immediately fell back down when he left for Inter. On the other hand, Suarez already came into a stacked team. The point is, you can't just use goals per game as a meaningful indicator of quality without putting it in context. Suarez's assist stats are better but this can simply be explained by how football has changed. Most assists nowadays are made by forwards because of how build-up responsibilities are dispersed within the teams (look at La Liga assist stats over the past 5 seasons). To Suarez's credit, he has to deal with packed defences a lot more than Ronaldo had to and that makes his job harder. It's these packed defences that lead to midfielders mostly focussing on rotating the ball and finding opportunities to release the assist man, not the goalscorer. However, overall, I believe that the strength of the team he plays in not only negates that obstacle but also puts him at a great advantage in relation to Ronaldo.

Beyond statistics, it is clear to almost anyone who has seen both players who is better.

[youtube]NjrK8JH8ODo[/youtube]

[youtube]yaTtPcYXFmE[/youtube]

[youtube]qbkEFaBp5AQ[/youtube]

Sure, they are just youtube videos, but they definitely show that Suarez has never reached prime Ronaldo's level.

You nailed it!

Leaving the stupid dispute of which one is better, Ronaldo or Luis, here is a little insight of maybe why he is a monster on the field:

"Basically, the theory goes, anything that threatens his ability to score, and win, isn't processed in his subconscious as the act of a sportsman but, rather, as an act of aggression against his wife and his children. Watching him play certainly supports the idea because, when a defender presses close, Suarez doesn't respond as if the man is trying to take the ball. He reacts as if the defender is trying to send him back to the streets of Montevideo, alone."

Was this from an espnfc article?

I remember reading an interesting article of this sort and the author even predicted Suarez would do something crazy at the World Cup.

jj_101

Ronaldo was a ballerina. Suarez is the terminator.
As good as Ronaldo was, lets face it, he was a pure football mercinary. Who they hell plays for Barca, Real, Inter and AC Milan. The guy just played for himself. On the other hand Suarez shows loyalty to a team even after he leaves. He's said he wouldn't leave Barca for three times the wages. And when Suarez steps on the pitch as far as he's concerned he's going to war, not a ballet.
If I had to pick one for my TEAM, I would pick Suarez, hands down.

Kragod

Was this from an espnfc article?

I remember reading an interesting article of this sort and the author even predicted Suarez would do something crazy at the World Cup.

Yes, that`s the one, really great read, and gives a better insight of who the man is, and what drives him.

Kuchi

Suarez is our's, lives and dies for the colors, pushes himself beyond the limit to help, made MSN work. No doubt in hell who'd we want in this team, right now.

Ronaldo was hugely talented in the technical department, but didn't match that physically and professionally. But yes, he was more technically gifted than most the players i ever saw or known.

Sure, skill & talent will get you appreciation and recognition world wide, but goals, trophies and miles it what really counts, for me at least. Might sound a bit like a glory hunter supporter, but i'm sure that's something we all want, even though we love Barca for better and for worst.

Suarez will actively contribute to more than a bunch of trophies for us (5 already), will surely end up as one of the club top scorers and will be remembered as a true cule, an icon for us, ronaldo not really... not for us at least.

Last edited:

Acer

What a rediculous thing to say. Suarez outscored pre-injury Ronaldo at Ajax. A more suitable question would be what would pre-injury Ronaldo have done in England at a club like Liverpool? Probably become injured that much sooner. Few seem to realize the sacrifices that Suarez makes to his natural game in order to make Barca the best TEAM in the world. Barca are undefeated when Suarez scores 34-2-0. How is pre-injury Ronaldo's record in that regard? How is Neymar's record? Would pre-injury Ronaldo been able to tame his ego enough to play with Messi? The fact that Suarez is doing these things NOW, when several great players have failed is something that won't fully be appreciated until he is gone. In most every big game Barca have had in the past two seasons, Suarez has been THE difference maker. Let that sink in. Fact is that if Suarez was Brazilian, the comparisons would only be vs Pele.

Eredivise was a joke league at the time of Suarez, at the time of R9, was one the best in the world, with the Dutch team winning the champions league. And Suarez scored more, just because he played more, so i don't see the point. Comparing the Serie A of 90s with the premier league of today is crazy. There are not close in terms of quality and defense were much better in serie A both individually and tactically. who is the best defender in premier league? Kompany? in the serie of that time in a team like Parma, playing two monsters like Cannavaro and Thuram.
The inter Ronaldo was even worse in terms of quality than the liverpool of Suarez, their best player after Ronaldo, was Djorkaeff. without mentioning the fact that Ronaldo has done those things from 17 to 23years, already best player in the world at 19. Suarez before the 2013-2014 season was considered less than Cavani

However i think that the players can be compared only in their time, because we don't know what they would do in other times. An historian never compare the generals of different eras, it's anti-historical. you'll never see in a story book that Alxander is better than Caesar. For example Messi in 70s It would not have been even a football player, because there were not the GH. R9 today probably would not have had the injuries that had in 90s because the medicine has improved and in the 90s players tended to be pumped muscularly. Another example Del Piero, that time considered the best in the world after Ronaldo and it had similar injuries. Without considering the different teams, Ronaldo never played in a team so good and organizzated, Real Madrid of Perez is a circus, they have the names but the team is always unbalanced, especially if you sold makelele and buy Beckham to put him as a Cdm, and play with Pavones in defense. Today, Perez has done a similar thing. has sold Alonso and Di maria, to put 3 cam in the midfiled. The only thing that we can compare the players are their technical and physical skills.

this mean that for Messi is not the best ever, beacuse simple not exists the best ever, only comparisons to entertain people, but there is no objective analysis that can determine it. We can only imagine what Maradona could have do if he had grown in Masia, while we don't know if Messi would have been a football player, in the 80s, we can only compare their skills, and this will change over the time.

Last edited:

Serbian

Yea, awesome at the 3rd too, but still....

No better than prime ronaldo

Prime Ronaldo> Messi. Yes for me Ronaldo was greatest of all time he had Power strenght speed, and insane dribbling skills, killer finisher. Suarez for me after Prime Ronaldo is best striker of all time top 3!

CatalinR10

cheryshev > prime ronaldo

has ronaldo ever disquallified his own team while scoring in the same game ? No ? k , goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans