9 - Robert Lewandowski

Total-Football

It's a big paradigm shift this signing. Last 18 years or so all our strikers were fast, technical and roamers. Last target man striker I remember as a starter was kluivert.

pers

I like Lewandowski as a player and his type of strikers.

On the other hand, I think that he is old now and that we paid too much.
For now he is very good.

But, since he is old, logic implies that what we see today, we won't see in 3, 6 or 12 Months.
He is on his Barca's all time peak currently.

So, let's see how fast will time/nature catch on his pace and agility.
And what happens with his physical condition when he plays 10-15 matches in a row without a rest.

Messi dropped from BDor level into a semi retired footballer in a few months.

How much more months you give Benzema? Since he is 8 months older he should already decline a lot. BTW if you look at both players physically Lewy looks 2 times better than Benzema. You tend to forget that both players peak after 30. I will take 34 Lewy or Benzema over 28 any time if we are talking about how they play. IMO we have at least 2 years for him to shine and I wouldn't be surprised if 36yo Lewy will be still top 3 striker in the world.

JohnN

What a goal that was! The first one too. He is the way to break parked busses we have been missing. Also, he was always instructing Balde (not yelling).

Messi983

In a game like this last season we would struggle to break down defense until last 10 minutes or so of the game when Xavi would throw LDJ on the pitch.

Not exactly Luuk de GOAT but still pretty good this guy. :p

BBZ8800

Development as well as decline is not linear. Lewandowski may well retain his current level for another two or three years similarly to how Modric is still class at an age most midfielders are retired.

Casillas was finished at 32. Van der Saar was playing at elite level at the age of 38.

Yes, most players will start slowing down gradually once they hit 30 and for some it's a steep decline whereas for others they manage to adapt and play at a very high level for much longer than others.

We realistically only need Lewandowski to be great for 2-3 years anyway until we're in a position to really compete financially for a more long-term solution.

There are "normal" players, let's say 80% of them who decline in an expected way/timeframe.

Then there are 10% of freaks of nature like Modric, Cr7, Zlatan, Zanetti.
And then there are guys who are done at 28 (or at 23 like Arthur).

If Lewa will decline in a regular way, we won't get too much from him longterm.
If he'll be one of the freaks-of-nature guys, then we might get what majority of fans are expecting.

Three things to consider:
1. The path of his decline
2. His stamina after 10-20 matches in a row once when a season progresses
3. Injuries. In that age, any injury could be a career ending injury plus older players usually get injured more often and their healing takes longer

I am always on the negative side, but he played 3 matches. Saying how his signing is a huge W and how he could easily play for 2-3 years is way premature (not you, Don).

Andresito

Staff member
I think as long as he keeps this continuity of playing and training like he's done he'll be fine. The decline often comes after a period of not playing, either through injury or after a summer break as it's hard to gain momentum after becoming a bit rusty at an old age. It's good that he'll also be at the WC.

As long as he keeps his level up I don't see any reason for Xavi to sub him off to give him a rest just because he's old. It's what has worked for him in the past seasons and he should be treated like that until he shows otherwise. Resting him as a preventive measure to stop him from declining would probably give the opposite effect.

Judoman

I am always on the negative side, but he played 3 matches. Saying how his signing is a huge W and how he could easily play for 2-3 years is way premature (not you, Don).

You are just playing the probabilities man, you never go on the line with your opinion. There's always a big chance that a player will not be a success. You don't have to be a genius to understand that it's likely that a 34 year old will not be on the highest level for the next 4 years. But if he is on the current level for the next 2 and if he nets us 70 goals+, i'd say he is well worth his price tag, unlike some other fairly recent transfers.

He started like a boss.

Messigician

You are just playing the probabilities man, you never go on the line with your opinion. There's always a big chance that a player will not be a success. You don't have to be a genius to understand that it's likely that a 34 year old will not be on the highest level for the next 4 years. But if he is on the current level for the next 2 and if he nets us 70 goals+, i'd say he is well worth his price tag, unlike some other fairly recent transfers.

He started like a boss.

He learned from Coutinho

pers

I can't believe someone don't consider or have some doubts that Lewy is freak of nature. Man you must have watched 0 his games in last 3 years to even doubt it. Look at first goal - it seems easy tap in but in reality most 26yo players would have physical problems to score.

Nucky

Anyone who doubted Lewa should stick to other sports.. TOP 3 striker in the world right now along with Benzema and Haaland.. Loved his first goal but what a sick pass from Raphinha..

Temptation

I can't believe someone don't consider or have some doubts that Lewy is freak of nature. Man you must have watched 0 his games in last 3 years to even doubt it. Look at first goal - it seems easy tap in but in reality most 26yo players would have physical problems to score.

You're on the Bayern Forum too?!!

Home of Barca Fans