Alexandre Pato

Co0ter

In retrospect that's just depressing.

Anyway, I'd feel sorry for him but he's never really lived up to the hype even when healthy. You can only go so far when you lack basic football intelligence.

Also, a certain Milan fan on this site used to openly mock Jovetic for being injury prone, so karma is a bitch. Shame that these talented kids can't keep their legs though, while someone like Bojan never gets hurt.

You clearly have not followed Pato. The most impressive thing about him was how calm, collected and mature he was on the ball when he was just 18 and younger at Milan. He's been injured almost all season and he was injured for a large majority of last year as well. I don't think you or anyone else can really accurately judge his work-rate or character. Imagine if you've been through what he has, working for months to get fit....just to get another muscle injury the very next game (over and over again) and the doctors have no idea why...

Video of Pato when he was 16, right before Milan bought him. The kids talent was undeniable. Developing at an aged team and having dumbass physios make you pack on an additional 1/3 of your current weight definately can mess you up. 60kg to 80kg since he made the move...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RtLibU1w3hw#

Last edited:

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
You clearly have not followed Pato. The most impressive thing about him was how calm, collected and mature he was on the ball when he was just 18 and younger at Milan. He's been injured almost all season and he was injured for a large majority of last year as well. I don't think you or anyone else can really accurately judge his work-rate or character. Imagine if you've been through what he has, working for months to get fit....just to get another muscle injury the very next game (over and over again) and the doctors have no idea why...

Video of Pato when he was 16, right before Milan bought him. The kids talent was undeniable. Developing at an aged team and having dumbass physios make you pack on an additional 1/3 of your current weight definately can mess you up. 60kg to 80kg since he made the move...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RtLibU1w3hw#

That video doesn't disprove the lack of intelligence point, imho. It just shows him in bunch of situations where he either dribbles or shoots. I watched it couple of days ago and if I remember correctly, there isn't a single assist or a pass in that video. His positioning isn't anything special, either. Maybe I don't understand what 'football intelligence' means, but if I do, he has none. Awesome skills, though.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
That video doesn't disprove the lack of intelligence point, imho. It just shows him in bunch of situations where he either dribbles or shoots. I watched it couple of days ago and if I remember correctly, there isn't a single assist or a pass in that video. His positioning isn't anything special, either. Maybe I don't understand what 'football intelligence' means, but if I do, he has none. Awesome skills, though.

Exactly.

Nobody is doubting Pato's skill. We know he has a great touch and a great shot, and is composed and confident.

You also aren't going to prove much from highlight videos, because part of the problem with Pato (which is why there's legitimate concerns about his football intelligence) is because when things are working for him, he is dominant. It's his failure to adjust that's holding him back even when healthy, he will try the same thing over and over again.

Last edited:

impeh

Hi, its me..
what are the chances of him leaving? It seems balotelli is off at the end of the season.. possible swap deal?

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
what are the chances of him leaving? It seems balotelli is off at the end of the season.. possible swap deal?
I don't think anyone sane will buy Pato in this shape. I think Balotelli to Milan would be Galliani kind of deal :)

Chainsaw

Killahead
Pato was always overrated. Having talent doesn't mean 'World Class' and Ballon D'or material. There are hundreds and thousands of talented youngsters out there, it doesn't mean they will all turn into stars and superstars in the future. Look at Balotelli, Bojan, look at all those 'The Next Maradonnas'. None of 'em turned into what people were expecting of 'em when they were young. The attitude of the player is very crucial in how he makes out of his career (injuries issue aside). To me Pato never had that serious attitude that turn him into a consistent performer. If you want to be taken seriously in the world of football you need to be at your best for the full season. Half-arsed performances and flashes of talent won't earn you that title, except for your fanboys and fangirls ofc.

Co0ter

football intelligence is something most players develop with age. some players are "mature" for their ages, and that is what I considered Pato. Coolness on the ball and being calm, clinical in situations is something I consider footballing intelligence. Some players have it, and others dont...no matter how much they train. That is the point I was trying to make with Pato. He's got (or had before Milan ruined him) all the skill in the world but its the way he went about it that impressed me, very mature infront of the net compared to kids his age.

He was so good at taking on his man from the wing and creating chances out of it, much like Messi was at a young age. I never said his vision/passing was immaculate b/c its not, but Messi didn't start racking in assists either until he was 21. I just feel he was really wasted at Milan.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Well Leonardo played him RW for a season or so and i don't think that helped his development, i hope he gets a proper pre season & explodes next season, having said that he doesn't seem to play well with Ibrahimovic either.

Co0ter

Pato had more freedom when he was 18 in that team than he has now, or ever since. He floated around upfront and was really effective. He can attack well from the wings, but why isolate such a clinical finisher solely on the wings? Then they tried sticking him solely in the middle of the attack, at the last defender....and they bulked him up way too much for it. They've just gotten everything wrong with him.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Pato had more freedom when he was 18 in that team than he has now, or ever since. He floated around upfront and was really effective. He can attack well from the wings, but why isolate such a clinical finisher solely on the wings? Then they tried sticking him solely in the middle of the attack, at the last defender....and they bulked him up way too much for it. They've just gotten everything wrong with him.

this is all absolutely correct.

really Pato's problem is the same as Bojan's; he's made for a 2-man strikeforce, to play off more of a True9, and very few teams play like that anymore. Zlatan and Pato could be a great duo, sure, but the way Milan set up in midfield really eliminates that possibility.

Robbie

It took RVP until the age of 28 to rid himself of injuries. For almost 7 years he was missing entire seasons and getting stretchered off if a blade of grass touched his leg.

It's way too early to say this will ruin his career, but there's no better club than AC Milan to be injury prone in. They have Milan Lab, and the best doctors in football to help him.

Home of Barca Fans